Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Miss under load only, idles fine, but no codes??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Question Miss under load only, idles fine, but no codes??

Hey guys I was out driving my Datsun Z (see sig for specs) yesterday and my fan relay died without me knowing so the car started to overheat once I got into some traffic. Soon as I got moving again it leveled off but I noticed it started to miss while under load (even a light load) and there is a noticeable loss in power during accel.

If its in neutral it idles and revs just fine, but soon as I place it in drive and load the motor a little while applying the brakes it will start to miss.

I checked for codes with my hand held scanner and there are none pending or stored. I started to worry about a possible head gasket failure, but there is no water in the oil or oil in the water. There is no unusual valvetrain noise either, but I haven't pulled the valve covers yet to check for sure either.

Tonight I went ahead and yanked all the plugs and all of them looked great except for #5 which looks like its starting to fowl. While I had the plugs out I figured I might as well check the compression on #5 which gave me 180 psi. I tested #1, #3, and #7 too and all were within 1-3 psi from each other.

So at this point I am thinking maybe it overheating was just a fluke and its either #5 spark plug, #5 plug wire, or #5 coil pack (all original factory stuff from 2005).

I bought another set of spark plugs, but the store was out of plug wires until Monday. I will go ahead and put the plugs in the morning and try my luck.

Any other suggestions on what it might be?

Thanks guys!!
Old 01-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seems like a dead injector. or possible coil ready to go bad? i had the same issue but it ended up being a cracked spark plug
Old 01-09-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ae13291
seems like a dead injector. or possible coil ready to go bad? i had the same issue but it ended up being a cracked spark plug
I considered an injector being the issue, but you'd think the plug wouldn't be fouling and smelling like gas if the injector was dead or dying.

Still, I have an extra set of injectors that I can try if all else fails.

Could you see the crack in your plug after removing it?

I would be happy if mine ended up just being a bad plug too, but my luck usually isn't that good.

Thanks!!
Old 01-09-2010, 01:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ford_Assassin
I considered an injector being the issue, but you'd think the plug wouldn't be fouling and smelling like gas if the injector was dead or dying.

Still, I have an extra set of injectors that I can try if all else fails.

Could you see the crack in your plug after removing it?

I would be happy if mine ended up just being a bad plug too, but my luck usually isn't that good.

Thanks!!
my crack was in the porcelain itself. it was causing it to ground itself but at the same time it was tranfering some spark to the tip. when ever i had a cylinder misfire due to no spark the spark plug would be cluttered with oily residue. you checked for spark right? sorry i dident read your complete thread
Old 01-09-2010, 01:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you get any codes when you were having spark plug issues?
Old 01-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Banned

Did you get any codes when you were having spark plug issues?
after driving close to 100 miles i had a check engine light come on for 2 minutes and it turned off by itself. it came up for a #4 cylinder misfire. i was pretty thank full for that light coming on because i changed lots of things trying to find the problem, i even hallowed out my cats thinking it can be clogged.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I was hoping you were going to say you didn't get any codes because I am not getting codes for mine......
Old 01-09-2010, 01:20 AM
Banned

I was hoping you were going to say you didn't get any codes because I am not getting codes for mine......
if the problem just happened its gonna take some time for the sensors to really pinpoint it man, but the #5 cylinder seems like the culprit. check for vacuum leaks too.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

seems like you have a cam too, its gonna be even harder for the engine to pinpoint further, i had my problem before my cam was done.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah my cam does make somewhat harder to notice, but you can feel the miss causing a shake under load.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Had the same symptom, miss under load only with no codes. Ended up finding a small tear on one of the spark plug boots ( MSD wires ), seemed to leak voltage under load. Actually saw it arc under load.
Old 01-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't read all the posts...not sure if this was mentioned swap the coil pack around and see if the issue follows it....
Old 01-09-2010, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, I borrowed a plug wire from a buddy and it seems to have taken care of the problem. I didn't even swap out the coil pack.

I am going to give it a few days before I confirm it was the problem.

Quick Reply: Miss under load only, idles fine, but no codes??