Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will I have to remeasure pTV clearance

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will I have to remeasure pTV clearance

Will I have to re-measure PTV clearance if I go from unmilled ls6 heads to aftermarket heads like PRC or etc....?

I'm very close on PTV clearance and want to do a head swap but am wondering if I get some aftermarket PRC, if I can just slap them on and be ok.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:08 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dubrado
Will I have to re-measure PTV clearance if I go from unmilled ls6 heads to aftermarket heads like PRC or etc....?

I'm very close on PTV clearance and want to do a head swap but am wondering if I get some aftermarket PRC, if I can just slap them on and be ok.
I would for good measure. But, I believe the PRC heads might even gain you alittle more ptv, with the way they configure that head if I'm not mistaken?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As stated, the standard Stage 1 LS6 head PRC offers will be plus or minus about .002" on the free valve drop from what you get with a stock 243 head. If you need more room, we can set them up like what we do for the MS4 combos, and get you an about .015" of free valve drop extra!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-13-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPH
I would for good measure. But, I believe the PRC heads might even gain you alittle more ptv, with the way they configure that head if I'm not mistaken?
I figured it would prob depend on the head manufacturer.

I called patriot and they mill all theirs so i can't run theirs
I'm allready running a very thick gasket 0.060
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
As stated, the standard Stage 1 LS6 head PRC offers will be plus or minus about .002" on the free valve drop from what you get with a stock 243 head. If you need more room, we can set them up like what we do for the MS4 combos, and get you an about .015" of free valve drop extra!
So if I order from you, just ask for more ptv clearance?
Old 01-13-2010, 02:22 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Let me know what we're working with when you call, and I can take care of everything And for the record, yours will be milled and we'll ensure they are perfectly flat like too...best of both worlds!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-14-2010, 12:08 AM
TECH Resident

not trying to steal the thread but im putting a ms4 in my car this weekend with stock 241 heads, will i be ok on the pvc?
Old 01-14-2010, 09:27 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Should be fine, but it's ALWAYS worth your time to degree the cam in to ensure any slight variations in the camshaft, timing set, etc are accounted for and the VE's occur where they were designed. Any change in those VE's will affect your piston to valve clearance as well! After degreeing, I'd still recommend checking the clearance due to the known fact that machining does vary some from engine to engine (even completely stock long-blocks from GM).