Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Brand of Main and Rod Bearings???

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:13 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Which Brand of Main and Rod Bearings???

Doing a new build (416), what bearings are people using now?
My last build (382) had Federal Mogul Mains and King Pro Series Rod
bearings. These bearings had 30,000 miles and 10 years old and looked
almost new with alittle normal wear.
Just wandering what everyone is running now. I want a high grade bearing.
Also where to get them?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by RENE'S RAGE; 01-29-2010 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 01-29-2010, 09:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We use Clevite H-series in just about everything. We have both rods and mains on the shelf. Let me know if you need a set and we'll get you fixed up!

Jon
Old 01-29-2010, 09:58 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We use Clevite H-series in just about everything. We have both rods and mains on the shelf. Let me know if you need a set and we'll get you fixed up!

Jon
PM sent!
Old 01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aren't Federal Mogul and Clevite the same now?
Old 01-29-2010, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about the new king allecular pro series bearings, I have not heard a ton about them but everything I have heard it positive. I know that Lunati sends them with their kits.
I bought them for my stroker build that I am currently in.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Be sure to get a mic on that crank before ordering. Std. cranks don't always take std. bearings, especially when dealing with different brands. Bearing fitment to the journal is often required, some cranks are ground and polished on the 'low' side and some are ground and polished on the 'high' side. More times than not on a race crank, they are on the 'low' side of spec. In that case a .001" under maybe needed to get a tight oil clearance, something around .002", especially on the mains - of course, depends on the manufacturer.

I like the Federal Moguls personally, but Clevites are good to.

A note on Federal Mogul/Sealed Power cam bearings, although they don't list a performance part number in Speed Pro, the 1898M Sealed Powers are a 'high' load tin-based babbit material (basically HD), same as the harder babbit bearings used in a BBC/Hemi performance SH rod bearings as well as performance cam sets. The material name is Federaloy B-100. Most of the their race cam bearing sets for other engine families use this material as well, they call it HD Babbit, part numbers such as 2100M, 2107M, etc. good stuff.

My point is - the pricing is good on these because you don't pay the extra that you normally would for a 'race' bearing set. These are listed as standard replacements for the LS engines.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Depends on the crank but Federal Mogul and ACL Race coated bearings go in our engines.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:28 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by helicoil
Be sure to get a mic on that crank before ordering. Std. cranks don't always take std. bearings, especially when dealing with different brands. Bearing fitment to the journal is often required, some cranks are ground and polished on the 'low' side and some are ground and polished on the 'high' side. More times than not on a race crank, they are on the 'low' side of spec. In that case a .001" under maybe needed to get a tight oil clearance, something around .002", especially on the mains - of course, depends on the manufacturer.

I like the Federal Moguls personally, but Clevites are good to.

A note on Federal Mogul/Sealed Power cam bearings, although they don't list a performance part number in Speed Pro, the 1898M Sealed Powers are a 'high' load tin-based babbit material (basically HD), same as the harder babbit bearings used in a BBC/Hemi performance SH rod bearings as well as performance cam sets. The material name is Federaloy B-100. Most of the their race cam bearing sets for other engine families use this material as well, they call it HD Babbit, part numbers such as 2100M, 2107M, etc. good stuff.

My point is - the pricing is good on these because you don't pay the extra that you normally would for a 'race' bearing set. These are listed as standard replacements for the LS engines.
Thank you Tim,
I just sent you a PM.

Quick Reply: Which Brand of Main and Rod Bearings???