Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron block 427 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Iron block 427 6.0

Has anyone built one of these? I was intrested in what kind of power they put out and I know its like a 4.125 crank I think. What would be the bore size?

Just seems like a good budget motor. any imput?
Old 02-15-2010, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by dnkynrbk
Has anyone built one of these? I was intrested in what kind of power they put out and I know its like a 4.125 crank I think. What would be the bore size?

bore would be a 4.060. Not much room for error there but doable.
Mine is a 4.125" stroke and a 4.030 bore. I don't know how "budget" you can consider it by the time you get all the machine work done. I'd say you save a few hundred over a LS2 block but by the time you figure horsepower loss via alum. block its not all that much % of total cost. Iron block should make more power because of the way it holds heat though.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

So what cubes is yours?
Old 02-15-2010, 10:26 PM
11 Second Club

So what cubes is yours?

http://www.race-cars.net/calculators...alculator.html

Old 02-15-2010, 11:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFormula
bore would be a 4.060. Not much room for error there but doable.
Mine is a 4.125" stroke and a 4.030 bore. I don't know how "budget" you can consider it by the time you get all the machine work done. I'd say you save a few hundred over a LS2 block but by the time you figure horsepower loss via alum. block its not all that much % of total cost. Iron block should make more power because of the way it holds heat though.
how do you come up with holding heat in making more power ?

yes aluminum alloy block will release heat quicker then an iron block, but that is a good thing. an aluminum alloy block does require different building technics because of the aluminum alloy expanding more then cast iron.

but both block will make the same amount of power providing they where built the same way, and the alloy block has proven itself to hold up to the same power levels as an iron block.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elias_799
how do you come up with holding heat in making more power ?

yes aluminum alloy block will release heat quicker then an iron block, but that is a good thing. an aluminum alloy block does require different building technics because of the aluminum alloy expanding more then cast iron.

but both block will make the same amount of power providing they where built the same way, and the alloy block has proven itself to hold up to the same power levels as an iron block.
x2!....those ls2 blocks have seen 1000+ wheel many many times in turbo and prochargers. What material do you think the LS7 blocks are made of? 1 guess....not iron lol
Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Building techniques are different due to the expansion rates of the materials.
Iron holds more heat which means less heat transfur during combustion which means more heat is transfured into energy. Take a class in thermal-dynamics.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:59 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Iron holds more heat which means less heat transfur during combustion which means more heat is transfured into energy. Take a class in thermal-dynamics.
Too much heat also causes detonation.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by KCS
Too much heat also causes detonation.
the heat retention of an iron block over an aluminum block can be tuned around to counter detonation. iron blocks are more suited to nitrous or boost. not that an aluminum block cant handle it, just more reliable.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

stick with a 4.00 stroke. in the 6.0 block, a 4.00 crank is a tight squeeze. a 4.125 stroke is even tighter obviously. you would have so much time clearencing the block it wouldnt be worth it in the end over 19 cubes.
Old 02-16-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

i know i have stated that in my last post, you do not need to repeat it.

both an iron block and an aluminum block will pretty much run at the same temperature, that is why we have thermostats.

your theory is a load of **** when it comes it internal combustion engines. why do you not see any drag racers heating up their blocks with torches before they do a pass ? form what you are saying is that if you make it red hot the motor will make a billion horsepower.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Back on topic---I have an iron 6.0 motor that is filled with Hard Blok up to the waterpump ports and bored to 4.0745" (4.07" Wiseco pistons with .0045" clearance) and a Compstar 4.100" crank. It is awesome and the ring pack on the pistons keeps the bottom ring from coming out the bottom of the hole since they were originally designed for a 4.125" crank.

Do it. Make sure you have a reputable machine shop familiar with LSx motors.
Old 02-16-2010, 01:50 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by elias_799
i know i have stated that in my last post, you do not need to repeat it.

both an iron block and an aluminum block will pretty much run at the same temperature, that is why we have thermostats.

your theory is a load of **** when it comes it internal combustion engines. why do you not see any drag racers heating up their blocks with torches before they do a pass ? form what you are saying is that if you make it red hot the motor will make a billion horsepower.

They will run at the temp. the thermostat allows them to run. However the (hold on this is an important word here..) *RATE* at which the engine dissipates the heat will change. If it didn't you wouldn't need a 'stat, you could calculate flow and thermal exchange and just run a specific sized restrictor.

Its not MY theory bud. Output is dependent upon thermal efficiency. You live where its cold, don't you ever see diesel trucks cover their radiators in the winter? You had better tell them they don't know what they are doing!!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:17 PM
12 Second Club

...You live where its cold, don't you ever see diesel trucks cover their radiators in the winter? You had better tell them they don't know what they are doing!!
diesel trucks put covers on their radiator because the blocks and heads are so thick and it takes forever for them to warm up, so long they would never get to operating temp if airflow thru the radiator wasent restricted.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

bore is to short on a 6.0 iron block for a 4.1+ stroke, the motor will
suck oil like crazy. the promblem will be piston rock at TDC and BDC.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM
9 Second Club

Not going to be N20 friendly going bigger than 4.0
Hell we use the 3.9 crank for better piston design for N20.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:52 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by bww3588
the heat retention of an iron block over an aluminum block can be tuned around to counter detonation.
What? How so? How does heat retention counter detonation, which is caused by too much heat? Are you implying that we could run more compression with iron heads, rather than aluminum?
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KCS
What? How so? How does heat retention counter detonation, which is caused by too much heat? Are you implying that we could run more compression with iron heads, rather than aluminum?
no, thats not at all what i was getting at. i guess i didnt word it right.

what i was saying, is the detonation caused by more heat retention of the iron block can be tuned around by changing timing and fuel tables under certain loads. the result will be negligable and in no way will justify choosing an aluminum block over an iron block based soley on the heat soak/retention factors of the two different metals.

now, if the 2 blocks in question were two old school carbed/distributer motors, the argument might hold water.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only problem I've encountered is that when using a 4"+ stroke in an iron block, you run into the problem of pulling the piston too far out of the bottom of the cylinder. It caused problem in my 408. With a 4.125'' stroke, I only imagine it would be worse.
Old 02-16-2010, 04:42 PM
KCS

Originally Posted by bww3588
what i was saying, is the detonation caused by more heat retention of the iron block can be tuned around by changing timing and fuel tables under certain loads. the result will be negligable and in no way will justify choosing an aluminum block over an iron block based soley on the heat soak/retention factors of the two different metals.
From similar scenarios I've seen in the streetcar stuff, where someone is trying to run too much compression for pump gas, it's usually advantageous to run a lower compression ratio, rather than to band aid the tune (or cam timing) to avoid detonation/preignition. It's not uncommon to see an engine make more power with 11:1 than it did with 12:1 on pump fuel. Adding fuel to cool the charge and pulling timing to delay the peak cylinder pressure is wasteful, and generally results in lower IMEP, BSFC's, and higher EGT/coolant temps. The difference between an iron block and an aluminum block in a streetcar probably is negligable though.

However, the racecar scene may be different. To expand further into "the big picture", the iron block's inability to dissipate heat as well as an aluminum block, puts more demand on the cooling system. I think it was either the RO7 or FR9 NASCAR engine that was so much more efficient at cooling the engine than it's predecessor, that the team found a large aerodynamic advantage sealing up the front of the car since the radiator was smaller and required less frontal area in the bumper.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that too much heat can be a bad thing.

But so can too little.

Quick Reply: Iron block 427 6.0