Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Max cam with stock heads/manifolds?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 01:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Max cam with stock heads/manifolds?

Doing a lot of cam review/re-education (been out of the game for too long). Since the in-experienced tendencies are usually going too big on cams (especially with stock heads, ex/int manifolds), what are people running with stock heads and exhaust manifolds with good gains? I've seen the specs on the LS6 and the GM Hot cam, but there a lot of other choices too. I'm not looking to get headers for a while (-$). When I do, it will also include a new H/C package. From what I've been reading, there is a lot left in the stock LS1 configuration above the factory cam .

Understanding that the responses may be subjective: where is the usable max (lift, duration, lsa) with some limited dyno tuning? I like lope, but I also like lower rpm torque (street).

Current mods: 2001 SS, m6, 4.11's, SLP lid, O/R y-pipe, ported TB, descreened GM MAF, 160 stat, SLP CAI.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, there is no limit for cam size just because you arent getting headers or heads right away. I'd look into something like a 230/230 maybe a little bigger on a 112 LSA. The TR224/224 is an awesome cam that is very street friendly.
Old 12-28-2003, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, nice link to read: http://ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23
Old 12-28-2003, 02:49 AM
TECH Regular

Sure you can put whatever cam there with stock manifolds, intake and CR but what's the point in such overcamming ? If stock manifolds and intake are used then you can get similar or better overall results with much smaller cam without any tuning issues.

I'd look into cams with 114-116 LSA and RPM range to around 6400 in order to avoid exhaust choking the cam too much. Most 'stealth' cams ( Thunder OMC, MTI stealth etc. ) should work well in your situation, however, lope is minimal. Though, if a cam has a well noticable lope I would say it works much better with headers.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

depends how long is a while for when your gonna get heads and LT's. depending on the time frame i wouldnt go higher then 220 duration and mid .500 lift, get a 112lsa if you want lope. that'll be the best bet for some good down low and mid range on your stock heads and manifolds. a big cam is nice but you'll just be choking it off. when your ready for heads and LT just sell the cam and look into a new one for your setup.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:09 AM
Launching!

i just put a TR224 112 cam in my car, with only a lid and a cut out, i will be getting headers, TB, LS6 intake soon,
the car dynoed 301 rwhp with the lid and cut out, and dynoed 323 rwhp with the cam only, stock tunning, stock rev limiter 6k, 22rwhp gain, i could gain more with tuning and the other mods
Old 12-28-2003, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Comp Cam 216/220 .525/.532 114 is a great cam for stock heads and manis, not to mention it's a good N20 cam also. Add to that 1.85 rockers and you have
216/220 , .577/.585 114 and a nice street combo that likes drugs.

Last edited by 4thGENRETARD; 12-28-2003 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
depends how long is a while for when your gonna get heads and LT's. depending on the time frame i wouldnt go higher then 220 duration and mid .500 lift, get a 112lsa if you want lope. that'll be the best bet for some good down low and mid range on your stock heads and manifolds. a big cam is nice but you'll just be choking it off. when your ready for heads and LT just sell the cam and look into a new one for your setup.
It will be 6-12 months minimum. I'm looking for a cam that might be choked a little, but will wake up after headers at a minimum. I will probably opt to build a car by then, which means I'll be keeping this SS as she is for sometime.

I know it's late in this thread, but do these cars 'lope' with stock cams? I had a '64 'stang with a bored, blue printed 289 and big cam. To see how much lope it had, all you had to do was idle around in 1st gear (4-sp) and it would lurch rythmically....whump....whump....whump.

I am not the first owner (bought at dealer with several mods already) of this SS. When I am in 1st gear and let the car idle down the road I get a mild lurching, and sometimes in 2nd (just more pronounced). I just didn't expect this much being that the stock cam lift, duration, and LSA are so tame compared to mild bumpsticks. BTW, I have nothing to compare this too. Anyone else notice this? Is it normal, or do I have a car that may have been mildly cammed by the 1st owner? j/c
Old 12-28-2003, 07:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

I think LPE GT2-3 should also work well with stock manifolds.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:45 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Proud2bSS
It will be 6-12 months minimum. I'm looking for a cam that might be choked a little, but will wake up after headers at a minimum. I will probably opt to build a car by then, which means I'll be keeping this SS as she is for sometime.

I know it's late in this thread, but do these cars 'lope' with stock cams? I had a '64 'stang with a bored, blue printed 289 and big cam. To see how much lope it had, all you had to do was idle around in 1st gear (4-sp) and it would lurch rythmically....whump....whump....whump.

I am not the first owner (bought at dealer with several mods already) of this SS. When I am in 1st gear and let the car idle down the road I get a mild lurching, and sometimes in 2nd (just more pronounced). I just didn't expect this much being that the stock cam lift, duration, and LSA are so tame compared to mild bumpsticks. BTW, I have nothing to compare this too. Anyone else notice this? Is it normal, or do I have a car that may have been mildly cammed by the 1st owner? j/c
a stock car doesnt lope. click the exhuast link in my sig, thats on the stock cam. you bout 3* more overlap on the stock cam then me but have lower duration and lift.

Quick Reply: Max cam with stock heads/manifolds?