Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new motor mounts when installing LT's??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new motor mounts when installing LT's??

i just put a set of pacesetter LTs n ORY w/magnaflow catback on my 02 z28. i've read here and there about people also changing out the motor mounts to avoid vibrations against the floorplan but have yet to read anything consistent enough to see if this is something i need to do. so question is....do i need to change motor mounts? and if so what would you guys suggest?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:21 PM
Staging Lane

First of all, this should be in the external engine but o well. Alot of people do change them because, its alot easier to do with out the stock manifolds on or headers on. You don't have to change em but if you do it'll make sure your y pipe doesnt bang on the floor board.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

yeah kinda new to the site and didn't see the external engine link below. will definately take a look nxt time...my bad.

ok so if i do go with new mounts..i was taking a look at spohn motor mounts, what is the difference btw poly and solid?
Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First I'll say you probably should have posted this in the External Engine Section. Not a problem though, man.

Its correct when you are told the reason to install upgraded motor mounts is to prevent your new Y-pipe from banging on the floorpan from the increased torque flex of the factory rubber mounts.

But the other reason to do the mounts while doing headers is because the exhaust manifolds are off the car and out of the way. Leaving you with enough room to get to the motor mounts.

Attempting to remove and reinstall motor mounts while the headers are still in the car is a very difficult task. (****! Installing them with the exhaust out can be a bitch.)

My advice to you is, if your current exhaust isn't hitting the underside of your car, leave the factory motor mounts in there for now and wait for the next best opportunity to upgrade them.

If you are experiencing a banging Y-pipe, there are a few remedies out there, but the only real cure to fix this problem is to remove the headers/Y-pipe and upgrade your mounts to either Polys or Solids.

Wonderful news, isn't it. LOL
Old 02-23-2010, 11:40 PM
On The Tree

well when i went to research the install i only saw one write up mention something about the mounts so that's why i didn't do them at the time of the exhaust install. but u live you learn...
looks like i will probably have to be changing them out soon then. any suggestions on motor mounts?
Old 02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Prothane Poly Motor Mounts. $50.00 from byunspeed. Here's a link...

http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4924
Old 02-24-2010, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

alright awesome...thank for the help.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is a great "how-to" write-up in the External Engine Section. Its what I used with the three sets of mounts I've helped install.

It's called something like, "Best Poly Motor Mount Write-up Ever Written".

Do a search and I'm sure you'll find it.

Good luck, dude!
Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

When i did my LT's i didn't replace the mounts i got american racing headers and have not had one bang against the floor board. I think depending on your milage you may be ok with not doing them imo, i only had about 35,000 miles on mine at the time.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

yeah i have 135k on mine so i think regardless it's time to change them out haha
Old 02-24-2010, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 02_Z28_G
yeah i have 135k on mine so i think regardless it's time to change them out haha
I got the same amount of miles and the same headers and doesn't vibrate. but yet again I didn't have the cash to get them.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by f-body_racer99
I got the same amount of miles and the same headers and doesn't vibrate. but yet again I didn't have the cash to get them.
do you have the new or old tsp ORY?
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Staging Lane

do you have the new or old tsp ORY?
The new tsp ory
Old 02-26-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

o ok..yeah i've heard ppl haven't been having as many problems with the new ones. mine has kinda quit but im' still just going to replace the mounts just to be on the safe side.

on a diff note though since i already have this thread started....has anyone had any problems with the msd wired touching the LT headers?
Old 02-26-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just put a set of pacesetter LTs n ORY w/magnaflow catback on my 02 z28. i've read here and there about people also changing out the motor mounts to avoid vibrations against the floorplan but have yet to read anything consistent enough to see if this is something i need to do. so question is....do i need to change motor mounts? and if so what would you guys suggest?
i got the same setup as you. i did not install motor mounts. i just didnt think it was necessary too as i baby my car anyways..lol. but i think if i could do it over again, i would maybe go ahead and put motor mounts while im in there. but yeah, ive had my longtube headers, ory, and catback for almost 7k miles and have had no problems at all.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

yeah it's not doing it as bad since i went back and retightened all the clamps and bolts. but since i went ahead and already ordered them i'm going to go ahead and put them on n hopefully get rid of the vibration all together.
other than that i'm really happy with the exhaust, nice low tone until WOT ha now just for a nice h/c combo
Old 02-27-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

o ok..yeah i've heard ppl haven't been having as many problems with the new ones. mine has kinda quit but im' still just going to replace the mounts just to be on the safe side.

on a diff note though since i already have this thread started....has anyone had any problems with the msd wired touching the LT headers?
my wires looked like they were too close to the exhaust manifolds so i bought some heat sheilding from the auto store. not the heat tape, but the silver tubed kind, not sure how else to explain them.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

and FWIW, read my addition near the end of the "best motor mount install thread ever" or whatever it's titled. i explained how you can go about doing this whole job by yourself if you don't have a car savy buddy to help you out.
Old 02-27-2010, 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 98TAjwh
and FWIW, read my addition near the end of the "best motor mount install thread ever" or whatever it's titled. i explained how you can go about doing this whole job by yourself if you don't have a car savy buddy to help you out.
ok will do. i ordered the motor mounts yesterday so i'll probably end up printing out that thread to read over/study it before i start the install
Old 02-27-2010, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

At 100k my rubber factory mounts were SHOT. Kept popping my damn lid open too, surprised it didnt crack it. Polys can be harsh when compared to stock rubber mounts. You will feel the motor more. But I persoanlly enjoy it and wouldnt change back to rubber for anything. I kept my rubber tranny mount though.

Quick Reply: new motor mounts when installing LT's??