Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Piston Rings

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Rings

I was installing new hastings rings on my new ls6 short block and came across a couple of things i cant explain and would appreciate some feedback.

It has been over bored 10 thou over. I was installing the rings i got with my kit and couldn't help noticing that the id of the top compression rings protrude about 2 thou when the ring is inserted into the ring land. The instructions that came with the rings specify that they shouldn't protrude but im thinking 2 thousands is not going to cause any problems.

Moving on however when i checked the gap on each of the rings in their corresponding bores all the gaps came in at between .020" - 022" i didn't even have to gap them? does this sound right? Hastings recommend the gap for my bore size to be from .012" - .022" so i am within tolerance. But ive never come across rings that are already pre gapped is this normal??

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-25-2010, 07:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you mean by the Inner of the ring protruding, You should not be able to see much of the ID of the ring because it is sitting in the ring land groove??? Your rings being close to the gap you need is common, assuming you did not buy a set of file fit rings, the manufacturer will take into cosideration the final size of the bore and hone, and make their rings to fit that measurement with a pre-determined gap in mind.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by RARON455
What do you mean by the Inner of the ring protruding, You should not be able to see much of the ID of the ring because it is sitting in the ring land groove??? Your rings being close to the gap you need is common, assuming you did not buy a set of file fit rings, the manufacturer will take into cosideration the final size of the bore and hone, and make their rings to fit that measurement with a pre-determined gap in mind.
What i mean is, with my instructions for my new ring set there is a procedure to check ring clearances and the first is to check thrust clearance which is fine and the other instructs you to get the diametrical clearance by simply inserting the OD of the ring into the ring land and making sure that the ID doesnt protrude past the land, its a quick check. Do you understand what im trying to say? I can provide an illustration if necessary.

My rings must have been pre gapped then? because They all came in within a thou of each eachother and i didnt have to file them whatsoever.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Do you mean you're getting something like this? (photo from of Helicoil's crate to dyno build thread)

If so, here's Tim's (Helicoil) comment:

I am using the Speed Pro Hellfire rings, p/n R19112 5 and noticed during a trial fit on the Diamond pistons that the second piston ring has too much radial wall (width) and stands above the piston. Not good! This is something I ran into on my Procharged 403 build too, it isn't that uncommon building race engines, especially with all the different piston manufacturers doing their own thing. Knowing this was the case here, I had ordered some 'open stock' second rings from Speed Pro with the correct radial wall, which was .160" wide.

Last edited by Roy V.; 02-25-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 AM
Teching In

Hi Roy,

That is EXACLTY what im talking about! Thanks for the input, mine isn't that bad though they only stick out a couple of thou is this worth worrying about?
Old 02-26-2010, 12:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by VLLS6
Hi Roy,

That is EXACLTY what im talking about! Thanks for the input, mine isn't that bad though they only stick out a couple of thou is this worth worrying about?
The ring should not stand above the piston at all, it needs to be below the face (side) of the piston, otherwise you will tear up the bore in no time.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Teching In

I received the wrong rings with my oversize pistons, just had a look at the box and they are for a standard bore. Not Happy
Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The radial has to be right no matter what the bore size is. Like Helicoil said they can't stick out at all.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racer7088
The radial has to be right no matter what the bore size is. Like Helicoil said they can't stick out at all.
Thanks. In regards to the radial dimension i obviously need a ring that fits inside the land but is there a maximum size of clearance.

For example if my ring land is .153" and i find a ring to suit my bore but the radial dimension is .140 will that be suitable? is there a maximum clearance for radial dimension?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd ask Total seal but you don't want a huge amount of back clearance either as it's volume that has to be filled to make the ring work sometimes. Excessive back clearance might delay the ring sealing a lil bit possibly.

Quick Reply: Piston Rings