Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

high milage lifters?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high milage lifters?

I finally bought the ms3 cam package, I currently have 120k miles on the car. I also bought ls6 ported oil pump, ls2 timing chain. My question to you guys is it a good idea to replace the lifters as well?
Old 03-09-2010, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

it is, but you have to take the heads off, so you need head blots and gaskets.

at this point might as well invest in a set of ported heads
Old 03-09-2010, 09:36 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not a bad idea but it is a decent amount of extra work on top of a cam swap. Chances are if you don't replace them they will be fine but it's nice to put in new lifters to replace ones with that kind of mileage. If you are thinking you might do heads relatively quickly down the road, this would be a good excuse to do so!

Jon
Old 03-09-2010, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

With an MS3 am I would not put that cam in unless I would change the lifters, springs, rods. Seriously you have 120K miles on your stock lifters, who have been working with your stock cam.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-G...Q5fAccessories
Same lifters I am using in my build.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:06 PM
Launching!

I would change them I started having a problem with mine arround 126k.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if you want that piece of mind then get them. thats alot of miles for stockers to handle and now a big aftermarket cam. like mentioned above, its more work but you know they won't fail if they are replaced. I don't believe the stock lifters are made to handle 6300-6400 rpms either???
Old 03-09-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 298 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by sscamaroburn02
if you want that piece of mind then get them. thats alot of miles for stockers to handle and now a big aftermarket cam. like mentioned above, its more work but you know they won't fail if they are replaced. I don't believe the stock lifters are made to handle 6300-6400 rpms either???
Stock lifters can and have been spun to 7200 rpm with no issues. I spin mine to 7K when I go to the track and I have no issues at all and it is a DD with 90K on the clock. I replaced my old lifters w/ new stock LS1/LS6 lifters, not the LS7 replacements. What you need to make sure is that the right springs are being used with the correct set up, and making sure you do the correct preventive maintenance. This will help in removing valve float which is what a lot of people talk about with the stock lifters but it has nothing to do with the lifters but more with the stock springs and the stock set up. When the valve springs can not control the valve at high rpm's, the valve will float just above the seat. The weak and harmonizing spring does not have enough pressure to close the valve. The high rpm's create a harmonic resonance in straight wound springs that cause the spring to harmonize or surge, this leaves the spring weak and unable to act as a spring should. The result is valve float. When the valve floats it gets slammed into the seat by the combustion cycle, the improper contact with the seat does not allow enough time to allow the valve to transfer heat to the seat and into the head for cooling. This causes the valve to get very hot and accelerates their failure. You have the same lifters running in the LS6 set up which red lines at 6500 rpm.

Check you springs every 5K to 10K miles if you have a very aggressive cam, aggressive lobes and a high lifts. In my opinion and its mine only .615 lift and higher.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very well explained. I just like that peace of mind especially with that many miles on the motor.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its not the fact of the lifters not being able to handle the camshaft, its they wont like the necessary spring pressure that the new valve springs will be giving.

If it was my car, theres no way in hell I would stick any cam larger than maybe a 224 with that mileage.

My 2 cents.