Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with a MS4 cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with a MS4 cam?

Well I would like to start off by saying hello to everyone and how great I think this site is. Now my question is, does anyone live in northren Indiana that has a m6 ls1 with a texas speed ms4 cam, I am wanting to get one but I want to know how the street manners are. I cant seem to find anyone where I live Warsaw, IN that has one but if you live any where close to me maybe we could meet up and you could show me just how streetable it is. Thanks you, any input from someone that has a ms4 cam would be appreciated too. Also sorry if i posted this in the wrong spot
Old 03-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

i live in northern illinois and ordered an ms4. going to be in and running early april, so i dont know yet. i drive my camaro alot in summer, but not my dd. i have heard that with a good tune its streetable. i didnt want to spend alot of money and then have a wussy cam and regret it so im goin big, why not!
Old 03-20-2010, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

try a search.
Old 03-20-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother has an MS4 cam in his '01 M6 Z28 and I've driven it a couple of times and never had any problems with it. It also depends on the tune. If you get someone who knows what they're doing everything will be well.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Well this car is my DD and i want to get great power gains but not at the cost of a shitty DD. I keep hearing a good tune and I would be fine, can anyone recommend a good tune/ tuner they used with their ms4 cam. Also I plan on running a 75-150 shot of nitrous in the future, does this cam work well with juice?
Old 03-21-2010, 02:52 AM
12 Second Club

I have an ms4 in my 383. Its not to bad on the streets with a 6 speed and 4.10s. It just has a little cam surge at low rpms. How it drives is all up to the tune.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by franksaltz28
I have an ms4 in my 383. Its not to bad on the streets with a 6 speed and 4.10s. It just has a little cam surge at low rpms. How it drives is all up to the tune.
Hate to say this but you said 383 so with the bigger cubes it would make the cam have better manners. Right? But do you have a really good tuner? If you do then if he put that cam in a 346 then it's not going to be as user friendly. I'm just trying to throw some suggestion and reasoning out there.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thewholefnshow1
Hate to say this but you said 383 so with the bigger cubes it would make the cam have better manners. Right? But do you have a really good tuner? If you do then if he put that cam in a 346 then it's not going to be as user friendly. I'm just trying to throw some suggestion and reasoning out there.
You are correct..

Most people can't put up with the cam for a DD.. If you want to do it correctly you will need supporting mods.. 410 gears (I would do 456 since you are an M6).. Nice set of heads.. PRC ls6 stg 1 at the MINIMUM.. 90/90 intake minimum.. The list goes on.

The Ms4 cam is a "Max effort" cam.. Meaning it also needs everything else to be max effort to perform at its greatest. No reason to have an Ms4 car without the correct supporting mods only to get beat by a 228 cam car with a nice setup. IT IS THE OVERALL SETUP!!! NOT THE CAM!!!! That decides how fast your car is.

To me it sounds like from what little you have said what you wanted out of it you would be perfectly fine with a cam more around 230/232 .600 112lsa or around that. This will also let you match with a cheaper set of heads, or even your ls6s non ported.. Taller gears, etc etc.

On another note.. If you don't have an AMAZING tuner and you plan on driving an Ms4 car... DONT GET IT YOU WILL HATE IT!!!
It doesn't "also depend on the tune".. IT IS ***ALL*** in the tune. My tuner had mine driving better than most 228 cam cars.. Some tuner can't get it tuned good enough to make it down a damn driveway.

Hope that helps man.

Last edited by lemons12; 03-21-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:15 PM
Teching In

DD mine for 2 years. Its all in how they tune it. If you want vids go to my youtube Nubbz1984.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by lemons12
You are correct..

Most people can't put up with the cam for a DD.. If you want to do it correctly you will need supporting mods.. 410 gears (I would do 456 since you are an M6).. Nice set of heads.. PRC ls6 stg 1 at the MINIMUM.. 90/90 intake minimum.. The list goes on.

The Ms4 cam is a "Max effort" cam.. Meaning it also needs everything else to be max effort to perform at its greatest. No reason to have an Ms4 car without the correct supporting mods only to get beat by a 228 cam car with a nice setup. IT IS THE OVERALL SETUP!!! NOT THE CAM!!!! That decides how fast your car is.

To me it sounds like from what little you have said what you wanted out of it you would be perfectly fine with a cam more around 230/232 .600 112lsa or around that. This will also let you match with a cheaper set of heads, or even your ls6s non ported.. Taller gears, etc etc.

On another note.. If you don't have an AMAZING tuner and you plan on driving an Ms4 car... DONT GET IT YOU WILL HATE IT!!!
It doesn't "also depend on the tune".. IT IS ***ALL*** in the tune. My tuner had mine driving better than most 228 cam cars.. Some tuner can't get it tuned good enough to make it down a damn driveway.

Hope that helps man.
thank you for your input, I was wondering if the ms4 cam would be a good cam with my mods and my future mods. I dont plan on getting any new gears in the near future but when I do i plan on getting 3.73 bigger gears would help a big cam like that right? I think I will just stick with my original setup, a good comp cam with a little juice should be good for me. By the way I do think the ls6 heads are ported i bought the car like this but I have an engine build receipt for it along with tons of other receipts.
Old 03-21-2010, 03:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Quick SSilver 98
Well this car is my DD and i want to get great power gains but not at the cost of a shitty DD. I keep hearing a good tune and I would be fine, can anyone recommend a good tune/ tuner they used with their ms4 cam. Also I plan on running a 75-150 shot of nitrous in the future, does this cam work well with juice?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/nitrous-o...ing-w-ms4.html

this is my thread from a while back. i ordered an ms4 and will be spraying. sounds like it would have great results. i cant tell ya anything about driveability tho, i blew my rear 2 days after it was shipped . it has a lot to do with your standards too. i used to dd a 77 gmc lifted 10" on bias ply 40s so i wouldnt be the best to listen to as far as that goes anyway haha.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Quick SSilver 98
thank you for your input, I was wondering if the ms4 cam would be a good cam with my mods and my future mods. I dont plan on getting any new gears in the near future but when I do i plan on getting 3.73 bigger gears would help a big cam like that right? I think I will just stick with my original setup, a good comp cam with a little juice should be good for me. By the way I do think the ls6 heads are ported i bought the car like this but I have an engine build receipt for it along with tons of other receipts.
I don't think an Ms4 would suit your application very well.. 373s IMO are not a low enough gear for that cam. I have seen quite a few different Ms4 cars (first hand experience and on here) and they just don't run good with 373s compared to 410s...

They like 410 or lower gears, 4000+ converter, nice flowing heads, FAST intake, lite car, etc etc etc..
Old 03-21-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quick one thing to remember is you don't have to have a big cam to be fast also. But if your going to go to the track from time to time and depending on if it's a 1/4 or 1/8 of a mile then you may want to factor that in also. An if you go with you may want to look into getting a new clutch also unless you have an LS7 at least. If you have a stock one it won't take long after you get on it or see track time it will start slipping.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Quick one thing to remember is you don't have to have a big cam to be fast also. But if your going to go to the track from time to time and depending on if it's a 1/4 or 1/8 of a mile then you may want to factor that in also. An if you go with you may want to look into getting a new clutch also unless you have an LS7 at least. If you have a stock one it won't take long after you get on it or see track time it will start slipping.
My ls7 lasted 500 miles with my new motor. It just sticks to the floor every time i get on it. I know im pushing more power, but i wouldn't place much faith in an ls7 clutch.

I know that having a 383 makes my car have better street manners, but i was just trying to help. If my 383 isn't to road friendly and still has cam surge, then a 346 is going to be worse.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:59 PM
12 Second Club

i don't think an ms4 would suit your application very well.. 373s imo are not a low enough gear for that cam. I have seen quite a few different ms4 cars (first hand experience and on here) and they just don't run good with 373s compared to 410s...

They like 410 or lower gears, 4000+ converter, nice flowing heads, fast intake, lite car, etc etc etc..
+1

4.10s or don't bother
Old 03-21-2010, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I know that having a 383 makes my car have better street manners, but i was just trying to help. If my 383 isn't to road friendly and still has cam surge, then a 346 is going to be worse.
Incorrect... If your tuner tunes your car and has bad manners and then tunes his it will even be worse. If your tuner tunes yours and it is bad and my tuner tuned his, it would run like a 226 cam car.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:14 PM
12 Second Club

Incorrect... If your tuner tunes your car and has bad manners and then tunes his it will even be worse. If your tuner tunes yours and it is bad and my tuner tuned his, it would run like a 226 cam car.
so your saying that my tuner is bad?
Old 03-21-2010, 11:22 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats what it sounds like. The way that some tuners can tame these big cams is amazing.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:26 PM
12 Second Club

deleted

Last edited by disc0monkey; 03-21-2010 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by disc0monkey
thats the same bs they try to feed me. but they arent using 6th gear until 70 mph bc of surge

and yes your 383 will soakup a little of that cam compared to our 350s.
I can use 6th gear at 60 without surge, im sure the tune is fine. I have a little surge cruising under 2k rpms, but thats going to be there with a cam as big as the ms4.

Quick Reply: Anyone with a MS4 cam?