Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which heads to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which heads to buy?

I'm looking for a set of LS6 ported heads for my 01 Camaro. It's down to Texas speeds stage 2 and Patriots stage 2 heads. Patroits save me 300.00 to spend on cam/other goodies. Can anyone tell me why I should buy the Texas Speed heads over the Patroits???
Thanks!!
Old 03-21-2010, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TEA is better than both from what I have seen......
Old 03-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Teching In

Who is TEA??
Old 03-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Trick Flow must be who your talking about. Thanks
Old 03-21-2010, 04:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by dbeach2001
Who is TEA??
Total engine airflow find them at totalengineairflow.com
Old 03-21-2010, 04:28 PM
Launching!

But if its between tsp/prc's heads and patriots i pick the tsp/prc's.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.totalengineairflow.com/pr.../gmhead/gmls1/
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with the PRC heads. The $300.00 spent will gain you better quality workmanship and better quality valves, springs and retainers. It's not an apple to apple comparison.
Old 03-22-2010, 09:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I would go with the PRC heads. The $300.00 spent will gain you better quality workmanship and better quality valves, springs and retainers. It's not an apple to apple comparison.
That's debatable.

And how do you figure better quality valves, springs and retainers?
Old 03-22-2010, 10:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New unwelded GM castings, American made valvetrain components, name brand valves, top of the line CNC work that flows as advertised are just a few of the things you will find with the PRC heads. Whichever way you go, flow the head to see what it actually does. The PRC heads will flow what it says it does time and time again. Not everyone can say that. We have flowed out of the box competitor's heads that didn't come close to advertised numbers. That's not a plug for PRC but more a heads up for whatever head you go with. Be sure you get what you are paying for.

Jon
Old 03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
New unwelded GM castings, American made valvetrain components, name brand valves, top of the line CNC work that flows as advertised are just a few of the things you will find with the PRC heads. Whichever way you go, flow the head to see what it actually does. The PRC heads will flow what it says it does time and time again. Not everyone can say that. We have flowed out of the box competitor's heads that didn't come close to advertised numbers. That's not a plug for PRC but more a heads up for whatever head you go with. Be sure you get what you are paying for.

Jon
And don't buy heads based solely on flow numbers. The highest cfm isn't always the faster head.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is a good point. However, these heads are just a "hogged" out set of heads with huge runners to make them flow the way they do. We have been working over the last couple years to reduce port volume while not hurting head flow. In doing so, we have some of the smaller runner volumes on the market with factory castings that still flow VERY well.

Jon
Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
That is a good point. However, these heads are just a "hogged" out set of heads with huge runners to make them flow the way they do. We have been working over the last couple years to reduce port volume while not hurting head flow. In doing so, we have some of the smaller runner volumes on the market with factory castings that still flow VERY well.

Jon
You can have fps too high as well though. I was just reading a post on another site by Larry Meaux about a back to back test he did with 2 sets of heads flowing similar cfm. One head had epoxy in every low flow spot in the runner to where they had the smallest runner possible with the least cfm loss. Second head, same casting, same valves, same runner volume even, but different shape. What happened? Fuel consumption is about identical. Same FlowBench CFM Numbers but different Intake Port Pitot Probe profiles/velocities. Second head however outperformed the high velocity heads by 117.9 hp at 7600 rpm! Yet..on a steady-state FlowBench test,
"BOTH" Heads flowed almost as exact CFM as you could possibly
make them be equal on both Intake + Exhaust sides. Why? FPS was too high in the high velocity heads even though it doesn't show up on the flowbench.. because engines don't run at just 28" of h2o.

Don't take this as me busting your *****, I'm past that. It really sucks that the only real way customers can shop cylinder heads is flow cfm even though that's not always an indicator of how a head performs. Ask average Joe heads/cam ls1 driver what a velocity profile or port efficiency is and you'll get crickets. And you still have to make money. I wish there was a better way to indicate or convey the performance of a head to a customer other than just flow data.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Smile Heads

Thanks so much for the response guys. I like what I'm hearing from Jon at Texas Speed. Looks like I will be heading in that direction!