Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Finished Cam Swap, my Thoughts/Expiriences, and some pics

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Just Finished Cam Swap, my Thoughts/Expiriences, and some pics

Well, I just finished the cam swap swap that I'd been planning for a couple months now. I'd just like to say that it was not as easy as LS1Howto or you guys made it seem. I was hoping to get it done in three maybe two days, but it took five days.

I'd say the hardest part was getting the oil pump pick-up tube bolted back on. First you have to get the damn thing started in the hole, and make sure the o-ring wasnt getting pinched at the same time. Took me two hours to do that... So that wast most of the day. The actual getting the old cam out and the new one in was very easy and I enjoyed it the most. Comparing the two cams was also fun. I used the pen magnets to hold up the lifters and it worked very well. I also used Larry's spring compressor tool for the springs and it worked well also, but at times it seemed the stud was going to break off in the head. It needs to be a little bit longer.

I had two major set-backs. One being the fact that my pulley puller would not fit on the pulley. So I had to wait till the next day to buy one. The other set-back was not having the longer crank bolt. I searched 7-8 different stores and finally one had one that was long enough.

The re-installing of everything went well, except for my mishap with the rocker pedastal. It almost turned into a very expensive mistake! While I was at it, I replaced the battery, the PCV valve, did the !EGR mod, and then changed the spark plugs. It turned out to cost alot more than just buying the cam and the other things. Had to buy the pen magnets $32, pulley pulley, $35, torque wrench $75, new cam priceless...

The puppy started right up with no problems. I like the lope but wish it could be a little lopier, but it's good for now. Smoke started billowing out of the engine bay from the oil I spilt on the headers. Took it for a spin also. It is a lot less forgiving at lower RPM's now, seems to be easier to kill. Seems to be easier to drive in the higher RPM's. Didn't take it much past 2500 today. Tomarrow I will go a little higher like to 3500 or maybe 4000. I'm just glad this thing even runs, frankly, I'm suprised it runs! It idles consistently at 50-55 psi of oil pressure, man am I glad to see that!

Thanks a lot guy for all of your help!

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/485025/3 - Here are some pics, not alot but what the hey. Look on page 2 for some pics of the parts.

Last edited by Ferocity02; 01-02-2004 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, that oil pump pick-up tube bolt is a bitch.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Congrats on the install. At least u can say u did it yourself and saved yourself a lot of money with the labor. I hope your happy on ur new cam!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Mike98WS6
Congrats on the install. At least u can say u did it yourself and saved yourself a lot of money with the labor. I hope your happy on ur new cam!
LOL!!! If I knew it was going to be this hard I would of paid someone to do it for me!
Old 01-02-2004, 09:16 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

congrats man. once you've done it once it gets easier, just a cam swap is way easy. i did the whole spiel the first time (cam/springs, chain, pump, pulley, intake) all at once so it took a while. but just the cam swap can be done in a day. so do you think it was worth it or do you wish you had payed someone to do it? for me it was more then worth it, ya i spend a couple hundred on tools and supplies but the knowledge i gained was priceless . now you can take that new found knowledge and help other people.

and the ****** oil pick up tube bolt is a bitch, so was lining up the pump on the crank snout. timing marks took a bit too. now alll you need to do is a head and intake swap and you'll be complete .
Old 01-02-2004, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

When I do it again, I'll leave the oil pump loose and put the tube on it like that, then secure it to the block.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That stupid oil pick up bold sucks for sure ! I will be very happy when I see the oil pressure up where its supposed to be . I had a hell of a time getting the stupid tube up in the pump . . . had quite a bit of pressure on it . . . cringe . . .
Old 01-02-2004, 09:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I am glad I did it myself, very happy too. I also learned a ton about the engine itself I wouldnt otherwise know.

As for the oil pump, I didnt bolt it to the block until I had the pick up tube on, it was still a bitch, and then I had to get those damn spacers in between the pump and the block. I even dropped the pan about 3/8".
Old 01-02-2004, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Congrats!

I know how you feel, after I finished my cam/spring swap, I was convinced I didn't want to work on my car for a while, but I started doing more mods just a couple of weeks later. It is very addicting. You will be happy you did it yourself ince you realize what an improvement you made to your car all by yourself!

Tommy
Old 01-03-2004, 12:16 AM
jmX
TECH Junkie

Glad you got it done, and oddly enough you're the first person to tell me its harder than it seems. Probably 2-3 times a month I get emails from first time camswappers using my doc saying it was EASIER than I make it out to be.

Either way, you got it all done and next time you could do it quicker. Maybe soon you'll have it down to 2-3 hours
Old 01-03-2004, 12:14 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

I had the luxury of a friend who'd done a swap already. He did most the work. We followed JMX write up. Pen magnets caught a lifter on my swap. Well worth doing it yourself. I learned tons.
Old 01-03-2004, 01:14 PM
Teching In

Congrats on the install ! The oil pickup tube is a PITA. I think the hardest part for me was the valvesprings. I was trying to use the cheapo valvespring compressor from Autozone and it just didn't work very well. I broke one of my waterpump bolts off in the head. I was able to get it out with an ez-out but it was nerve racking to say the least. Enjoy your new power !
Old 01-03-2004, 01:43 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by dropkick
Congrats on the install ! The oil pickup tube is a PITA. I think the hardest part for me was the valvesprings. I was trying to use the cheapo valvespring compressor from Autozone and it just didn't work very well. I broke one of my waterpump bolts off in the head. I was able to get it out with an ez-out but it was nerve racking to say the least. Enjoy your new power !
ditto, that autozone tool is the biggest piece of **** , i broke a water pump bolt as well, it was on the way out though so it cam out easy, thank god.
Old 01-03-2004, 06:24 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
LOL!!! If I knew it was going to be this hard I would of paid someone to do it for me!
I don't understand what part you are complaining about?

You start off by saying how difficult it is and how long it took you, but I don't see anything that was actually difficult in your thread. The pickup bolt is annoying yes, not difficult by any means however. The pulley puller sucks, I had that happen to me too, but getting another one the next day doesn't add to the difficulty of the project. I will never again use any spring compression tool that connects to the heads, just for your reason. Be happy you didn't break the bolt off in the head of your #7 cylinder as I did when I did my first cam (getting THAT OUT was difficult). Not having the longer crank bolt again isn't due to difficulty, it's do to poor planning.

Personally, I think a cam swap is relatively easy, it is just removing and reinstalling all the crap that is difficult/annoying.

After the initial "ouch" of doing the install wears off, I'm sure you'll agree with me, and be very happy you did it yourself and saved the 5-800 dollars.

Old 01-03-2004, 06:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like someone needs some LT's next ...glad to see you pulled through finally with the install though...maybe with that $400 you saved on the install you can get some pacesetters er something hehe.

lata
Bill
Old 01-03-2004, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the reason I contemplated having someone else do it for me is because they had the proper tools and would be able to do it in a day as opposed to five. The local guy that does these only charges $275 for cam and spring swap, and even less if I offer to help. It WAS difficult, annoying, and time consuming. The pick-up tube was annoying, but difficult also, same with getting the oil pan to drop some.

I know I should get some LT's, but..... I'm in Cali, very illegal If I wasn't in Cali, I would have gotten a much bigger cam also. I'm thinking about getting a ported TB in the near future, along with an LS6 intake, but then again, whats the point of getting more air into the engine if it can't get out... So I'm not sure, I might go with midlength headers and remove them before testing.
Old 01-03-2004, 08:02 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Well the reason I contemplated having someone else do it for me is because they had the proper tools and would be able to do it in a day as opposed to five. The local guy that does these only charges $275 for cam and spring swap, and even less if I offer to help. It WAS difficult, annoying, and time consuming. The pick-up tube was annoying, but difficult also, same with getting the oil pan to drop some.

I know I should get some LT's, but..... I'm in Cali, very illegal If I wasn't in Cali, I would have gotten a much bigger cam also. I'm thinking about getting a ported TB in the near future, along with an LS6 intake, but then again, whats the point of getting more air into the engine if it can't get out... So I'm not sure, I might go with midlength headers and remove them before testing.
Long tubes and swap before emissions