Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can valve seals cause plugs to foul?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Can valve seals cause plugs to foul?

Here's the deal, recently I completed a cam swap to a Torquer 2. Everything ran alright, got a PCM flash to make it to the tuner, all seemed well. Come to notice that my car is smoking, mostly at idle, not so much anywhere else. After some trouble shooting, I find that there's fuel in the crank case. I smelled my dip stick, as did my wife who knows dick about cars... it's fuel.

I make some contacts, someone tellls me I should have replaced the valve seals, that they can cause excess fuel to get into the chamber. First off, I did not skimp one bit on my cam swap. This is a 25k mile, full warranty, brand new from GM 1 year ago LS1. I replaced the reccomended stuff, but skipped the seals due to the fact that I was putting beehive springs in and the seals were fine. I performed a compression test a month ago and compression was as perfect as it could get. The person I'm talking to says that there's no way my valve seals can work with the springs I have, and I should have changed them and that's what's causing excess fuel to get into the chamber.

My theory is that it's the tune on the PCM flash.... Does the theory that the valve seals could some how (even if they were in poor shape, I dont see how this is even related) cause excess fuel to come into the chamber hold any water?

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Black smoke or Blue? If the valve seal is bad oil would be getting in. This would cause blue smoke and a bad smell at idle. If you pull your plug and their is oil on the threads then I would suspect a Valve seal. Not quite sure on your fuel issue...
Old 04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
Black smoke or Blue? If the valve seal is bad oil would be getting in. This would cause blue smoke and a bad smell at idle. If you pull your plug and their is oil on the threads then I would suspect a Valve seal. Not quite sure on your fuel issue...
Its more white... however after speaking to a tuner, and ruling out the possibility of it burning coolant, he said he thinks its fuel. It smells like fuel, looks like fuel, and plugs are black. Valve seals are perfect. I dont have an oil issue and the tuner I spoke with said that he's seen cars running extremely rich produce a whitish smoke before.

The main question is, can a weak valve seal somehow allow fuel into the cylinder?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Longshot LCMS
.....The main question is, can a weak valve seal somehow allow fuel into the cylinder?

I'm not sure what you're asking......
Valve seals seal out excessive oil from getting past the guides and into the cylinder. Of course, fuel is supposed to enter the cylinder.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Valve seals won't be the problem there. Sounds like you are running pig rich. I'd look at the tune as well.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM
Staging Lane

are you still running stock injectors or did you upgrade those with the cam?
Old 04-07-2010, 04:58 PM
Banned

The fuel is washing past the rings...get it tuned soon or your cylinders are gonna glaze badly. Who ever told you valve seals knows NOTHING! i say NOTHING.....

You could have a leaking injector but i sriously doubt it. If this problem just showed up after the cam swap you are running way too rich.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

These are the responses I was looking for, it sounded absolutely absurd to me as well. I'm not a retard, I just wanted to confirm my own thoughts.

Also I went with z06 28 lb injectors for the cam but the tune was set up for it I'm told.

Quick Reply: Can valve seals cause plugs to foul?