Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams for sound.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Cams for sound.

I haven't tried cams yet but am interested in getting them for the sound.

Questions: Does the SLP's Head/Cam Package sound any good?
Questions: Does the MTI's Head/Cam Package sound any good?
Questions: Who else makes Head/Cam Packages and what are the web sites?

I'm looking for monsterous fire-cracker sounds of the pistons exploding in the engine. I've heard a camaro where it sounds like someone got a huge sledgehammer and started hammering them on a huge stone... it sounded massive, pounding, and explosive - like multiple deep-sounding firecrackers cracking. BAD-*** SOUND!!! Only if there was a website dedicated strictly to the sound of cams. Too bad cams aren't like exhausts where you can change them at any time - I only get one shot at choosing them. Please help me. Help me to fulfill my quest my brothers.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:20 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*sigh*

do a search for heads and cams and take the time out to read. thats a loaded question and has so many variables. as far as the SLP package skip it. you can do far better and cheaper.

and you can change cams anytime you want, i've done 2 and plan my 3rd one in a few weeks. and gomer has done more head swaps then i can count. internal work isnt that hard.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok ok......now.....

All you care about is sound right? You don't give a crap if you can drive the car, idle at a light, have to sit on the gas till it warms up? Sounds like the GM GrandAm cam is exactly what you need.

But really, I think you need to do some more reading to see what you are getting yourself into here. There are some really massive cams out there that will sound like a Pro Stock car, but they will be a real PITA to drive.

Is this an A4 or an M6 car?
Do you even have headers?

The heads won't really give you that "sound" your looking for as thats more dependant on the cam selection and the exhaust system you run.

Personally, I would tell you to go with:

1) LT headers
2) true duals or a cut out (true duals sound MUCH better!!! but the cut out will be louder)
3) something in the low-mid 230s on duration with either a 111 or 110 LSA and not to wild on lift (say in the high 0.500 rang.....up to ~0.575")

This set up will sound pretty bad *** but will still be drivable WITH TUNING! Anything bigger and people tend to have problems with stalling at lights, hard starts, really poor low end.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Not trying to be rude but picking a cam for sound purposes is the most retarded thing I have ever heard.

Want a lopey cam, just get an ASA cam and be done with it.
Old 01-09-2004, 06:08 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by soundmaster
I haven't tried cams yet but am interested in getting them for the sound.

Questions: Does the SLP's Head/Cam Package sound any good?
Questions: Does the MTI's Head/Cam Package sound any good?
Questions: Who else makes Head/Cam Packages and what are the web sites?

I'm looking for monsterous fire-cracker sounds of the pistons exploding in the engine. I've heard a camaro where it sounds like someone got a huge sledgehammer and started hammering them on a huge stone... it sounded massive, pounding, and explosive - like multiple deep-sounding firecrackers cracking. BAD-*** SOUND!!! Only if there was a website dedicated strictly to the sound of cams. Too bad cams aren't like exhausts where you can change them at any time - I only get one shot at choosing them. Please help me. Help me to fulfill my quest my brothers.
Is this what you mean:

http://o-c-racing.com/espvideo.wmv

This cam with 918's is for sale, too.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

If you are on a budget, just get the GM Hotcam and an exhaust cutout. Nascar sound, cheap prices

The sound of a cammed car will depend mostly on how loud your exhaust is, or if you even have mufflers at all. Anything with larger than a 221 intake duration will lope just fine if the idle rpm isn't too high.

Pick a cam based on performance. The sound is just an added benefit. They all lope.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Launching!

Heck, if sound is the only goal, tweak the PCM with LS1Edit. You can actually get the motor to sound pretty wild.

Yes, I know what that could do to the motor, and no, I won't post what to tweak to accomplish it . Although it actually works, the comment is meant in good humor. Just don't do it. Besides, I've been looking for a good place to use that smiley...
Old 01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

soundmaster ...

This is your very first post here. Listen to what these folks are telling you. It is absolutly crazy to select a cam based on sound alone! If you don't want to keep the car stock, I would lurk here for awhile and base your aftermarket parts selection on performance increases. That's what it is all about. Nothing else ..

Now, if you just want 'sound', I recommend you remove the muffler and throw a couple of your plug wires in the trash.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have to agree, getting a h/c setup for the sound is just silly. If all you want is sound, go exhaust cutout and a big cam (230 on a 112 for example), but do some research and read the posts above because they have some good ideas.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your getting some pretty good advice already. Sound is a BYPRODUCT of a cam install NOT a goal. If your just interested in sound you should do it through your exhaust system not your internals. When you ask a question like that you betray your misdirected methodology. Thank God you have LS1Tech around to keep you from trying to do something you might regret later.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:05 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Your getting some pretty good advice already. Sound is a BYPRODUCT of a cam install NOT a goal. If your just interested in sound you should do it through your exhaust system not your internals. When you ask a question like that you betray your misdirected methodology. Thank God you have LS1Tech around to keep you from trying to do something you might regret later.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:26 PM
11 Second Club

I'm thinking that the performance aspect of the cam was a given.. in that he wanted a good performing cam with some lope.. correct me if I'm wrong.

No need to pounce on hime like a pitbull on a porkchop.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ROFL!! This thread cracks me up! But seriously, I don't think it's such a sin. I recomend a GM Hot Cam kit with springs. That will get you the sound you want at a minimum cost, and few negatives. Then set the idle as low as you can without the motor dieing at lights, and you will have one badass lope. Good luck and have fun.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:14 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by eallanboggs
Thank God you have LS1Tech around to keep you from trying to do something you might regret later.
Like register at LS1.com?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2001CamaroGuy
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ok ok......now.....

All you care about is sound right? You don't give a crap if you can drive the car, idle at a light, have to sit on the gas till it warms up? Sounds like the GM GrandAm cam is exactly what you need.

But really, I think you need to do some more reading to see what you are getting yourself into here. There are some really massive cams out there that will sound like a Pro Stock car, but they will be a real PITA to drive.

Is this an A4 or an M6 car?
Do you even have headers?

The heads won't really give you that "sound" your looking for as thats more dependant on the cam selection and the exhaust system you run.

Personally, I would tell you to go with:

1) LT headers
2) true duals or a cut out (true duals sound MUCH better!!! but the cut out will be louder)
3) something in the low-mid 230s on duration with either a 111 or 110 LSA and not to wild on lift (say in the high 0.500 rang.....up to ~0.575")

This set up will sound pretty bad *** but will still be drivable WITH TUNING! Anything bigger and people tend to have problems with stalling at lights, hard starts, really poor low end.
I have the Grand Am cam. To be honest, once we got it properly tuned, it settled down quite a bit. Doesn't seem that radical...tho it does idle at 1200 RPM. FWIW.
joel
Old 01-09-2004, 05:25 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

he hasnt been back yet, i wonder if we scared him off
Old 01-09-2004, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no big loss
Old 01-09-2004, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just get a Hot cam
Old 01-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Banned

This is our new 'Equalizer' custom camshaft through Kooks 1 3/4" and a wide-open Borla. This turned 432rwhp/407rwtq on a STOCK headed ls6 motor with full bolt-ons, belts were on also *no tricks*. This cam slides right in, no wories about P-V clearance.

http://www.ttperformance.net/cam/ttpcam.wmv < -- First startup, no tune that's why it stumbles a bit. This cam definitely needs a good tune.

This above cam kit runs $900 packed with dual springs, titanium retainers, pushrods, cam... all the goodies.

Then, we have a new custom camshaft that we just put into our project car through Kooks 1 7/8" to 2" stepped headers through a Corsa. This thing is even heftier and would need flycutting for P-V clearance.

http://www.ttperformance.net/347/formula.wmv