Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lifter noise????what the deuce????

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default lifter noise????what the deuce????

OK i am haveing lifter noise when cold goes away when warm execept when at WOT. I hear a chatter and i got the flutter on my gauge at idle. My pressure was 30 at ildeand 50 WOT, and from what i searched i settled on it being the o ring well 4 days a busted nose and nuckles later the only thing that changend was my pressure : it did get better oil pressure:35-40 idle 70 WOT I STILL GOT THE CHATTER i still got the flutter
the install went good just took so long b/c the nut and bolt shop around hear is closed on sat didnt know (ls1howto said you can use the old bolt to press the crank pully WRONG)theold o ring did look like a 2 year old condem hard and flat so i dont think i did all that for nothing (atleast im gonna keep telling myself that)
well all and all im thinking its really is just the lifters does every one think im in the right direction in not a fan of fix in a can but what lifters and were
the dealership wants to stick a nine foot pole with no lube up my bum soooo not gonna go that way any ideas suggestions welcome
buget slim 200 or less but doing work myself ill read up on how to when it comes time
Old 05-18-2010, 01:18 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you also have a cold case of piston slap? Sounds like that might be part of the noise.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thumbs down

that has been on the back of my mind but it still chatters when warm when at WOT
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would definitely avoid putting any kind of additive in your oil. Considering the point that Lucas Oil Additive has a certain amount of detergents present in it and you or Lucas does not know what types of detergents are already in the oil you are currently running. Unless of course you have already researched this and know that it is safe to do so.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:37 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did the O-ring stop the flutter on your oil pressure gauge.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:05 PM
Launching!

pull valve covers, check push rods/rocker arms, retorque everything. try a a heavier oil (10w30/15w30/20w50, etc) if those turn up nothing. my tick at idle, WOT, all over, turned out to be lifter noise, except it was a lifter failure that tore up my cam, cam bearings, and the mains look bad
Old 05-19-2010, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by neals98
Did the O-ring stop the flutter on your oil pressure gauge.
nope sure didnt the install of it went good but it didnt really go on tight around the pickup tube but it was better than the old one for that matter the oil pressure did improve a lil the old one was flat and harder than the new one
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpecV44
pull valve covers, check push rods/rocker arms, retorque everything. try a a heavier oil (10w30/15w30/20w50, etc) if those turn up nothing. my tick at idle, WOT, all over, turned out to be lifter noise, except it was a lifter failure that tore up my cam, cam bearings, and the mains look bad
i do plan pull the valve covers to check b/f i go snatching heads off
Old 05-20-2010, 10:11 AM
Launching!

pull the intake and the valve covers man take a look at that cam when mine was making lifter noise every single lifter had scrapped every single lobe. its not much work to pull the intake and will give you a piece of mind just to take a look at the cam
Old 05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump??
Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blades11b
pull the intake and the valve covers man take a look at that cam when mine was making lifter noise every single lifter had scrapped every single lobe. its not much work to pull the intake and will give you a piece of mind just to take a look at the cam
i could see like 2 lobes and a couple of lifters when i pulled the timeing cover off i got a lil bit of a leak on my intak gaskit so im gonna do that next weekend got a 4 day weekend