Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 06:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?

Hi All,

I managed to snag a set of new Patriot heads off e-Bay for a good price, they even came with a new set of Cometics. These heads were billed as "Stage III", but that designation is not found on Patriot's website. I've got an e-mail in for Chad at Patriot, but I'll post up here for some additional help.

The 3-digit GM casting number has been ground off the heads, so I have no idea what casting was used. It does have the "D" shaped exhaust ports though. There is a 4-digit (Patriot serial?) number "3382" stamped on the ends. They have 2.05" / 1.57" SS valves, double springs, and TI retainers. All intake ports have been relieved into the rocker stand bolt bosses and two exhaust ports have a funny looking "anomaly" in the roof of the ports (see pix). Does it look like the PR holes have been hogged out? Also, what are the three larger bolt holes in line above the exhaust ports for? Will these work with a 3.90" bore?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?-100_1316.jpg   Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?-100_1317.jpg   Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?-100_1318.jpg   Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?-100_1321.jpg   Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?-100_1319.jpg  

Old 06-21-2010, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going by the 2.05 intake valve I would say they are designed for a 4.0" bore.....
Old 06-21-2010, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

S10,
In the first pic you posted, above the rightmost exhaust port is a small series of about 6 numbers lightly stamped into the heads.
If you give Patriot this series of numbers, they can decode your heads for you. I went through this with my Patriots too.
In my case the # was 2211213 just for reference.
As stated above the larger valve are most likely for 4+" bores. My heads were for an LS2 and I have the larger valves.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sidenote - Gunnar is no longer with Patriot.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Sidenote - Gunnar is no longer with Patriot.
its been a couple years since he left hasnt it?
Old 06-21-2010, 11:24 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure on the timeline, but it has been a while. He still posts though. I wouldnt be surprised to see him chime in on this thread.
Old 06-22-2010, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn B
S10,
In the first pic you posted, above the rightmost exhaust port is a small series of about 6 numbers lightly stamped into the heads.
If you give Patriot this series of numbers, they can decode your heads for you. I went through this with my Patriots too.
In my case the # was 2211213 just for reference.
As stated above the larger valve are most likely for 4+" bores. My heads were for an LS2 and I have the larger valves.
Hope this helps.
--Glenn
Glenn,

I'm thinking those are GM stamps, one side shows #2608203 and the other shows #8511289...

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Not sure on the timeline, but it has been a while. He still posts though. I wouldnt be surprised to see him chime in on this thread.
Gunnar has lot's of knowledge and there's always the hope he will pipe up!
Old 06-22-2010, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

I'm thinking those are GM stamps, one side shows #2608203 and the other shows #8511289...

Yeah, its possible. Aside from that number sequence on my Patriots, I have no ID #s on my heads at all.
At that point, aside from valve size I dont see how they could ID them.
If you get a good answer from Patriot, let us know.
Im curious too.
thanks
--Glenn
Old 09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

The 3-digit GM casting number has been ground off the heads, so I have no idea what casting was used. These are going to be the "LS6 Style" heads. They started life as a new set of raw LQ9 035 castings. They were then pre heated and the combustion chambers welded to reduce the size. After this they were heat treated and CNC machined to the desired chamber size.

It does have the "D" shaped exhaust ports though. There is a 4-digit (Patriot serial?) number "3382" stamped on the ends. This number is the invoice number the heads were originally sold on . If memory serves, this number should place them around 2007. Patriot should be able to look this number up and tell you what chamber size these heads were.

They have 2.05" / 1.57" SS valves, double springs, and TI retainers. All intake ports have been relieved into the rocker stand bolt bosses and two exhaust ports have a funny looking "anomaly" in the roof of the ports (see pix). The rocker stand bosses being machined is common with any CNC machined LS head.. Just make sure you use some thread sealant on your rocker bolts. The mark on the roof of the exhaust port is a stamp that is in the runners from GM. It looks like a "C" that is in the runners.

Does it look like the PR holes have been hogged out? The pushrod holes have been opened up. The reason for this is to help with pushrod clearance when using after market rocker arms.

Will these work with a 3.90" bore? Yes, these will work on a stock bore. The 2.05" valve size is the largest size that is suggested on the stock bore. The down side with the larger valve on the small bore is reduced PTV clearance and the larger valve can cause some botom end torque loss.

If you have anymore questions, I will be glad to try and answer them.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Resident

So Gunnar, are you still with Patriot?

Quick Reply: Patriot Heads (again) Gunnar, ya still around?