Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slight scratches on bottom or head = re-milling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight scratches on bottom or head = re-milling?

I bought some Patriot Stage I 5.3 heads, and in the process of moving them around, they have gotten some slight scratches on the bottom of one of the heads. Will I need to get them remilled to clean this up? Thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No this should not be a issue, if you are using multi layer shims head gasket than pay close attention to how deep they are and what areas these scratches connect when referencing head surface. Fel Pro composition or other of this type will fill those slight voids when clamped down.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

before you put those heads on you should have someone check them out. there are alot of people with some major oil consuption problems now. better to have them checked out now before you wind up having to pull them off.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mike m
before you put those heads on you should have someone check them out. there are alot of people with some major oil consuption problems now. better to have them checked out now before you wind up having to pull them off.
When did this begin to happen? I assume you are talking about Patriot heads. They will be sent to multiple places for to have some things done to them, I'll get the person who finally assembles them to check them out.
Old 01-25-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

its right in this post just go right to the end of it. also do a search there seems to be alot more cases of it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/131499-hp-missing-g5x2-cam.html