Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok here I go..wish me luck

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok here I go..wish me luck

I haven't started yet but I thought what better place to ask questions and to start on it...

I plan to build a new motor and basically I'm looking for mid 11's maybe low 11's....I have a 427 in mind but I'm also thinking about a 408 or a 383(2)?? ...I want it N/A...can people give me suggestions on Stroker Kits, Heads, Cam's, PIstons, you know the deal...

I just want a good, fast, reliable engine.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SoloSport
How much you want to spend???
Old 01-30-2004, 04:39 PM
TECH Junkie

basically I'm looking for mid 11's maybe low 11's
Dude, you can do that with just a cam and bolt-on's (and of course the surrounding parts to support it, ie: 12-bolt, driveshaft, slicks, a little suspension to help hook it up, and clutch if ur a 6-speed or converter and built tranny if a4, etc, etc)!!!! I'm cam only, check my sig for times! And I don't even have all the bolt-on's, or a tune in it yet, plus i'm sure I can pull some more out of her how she is with a little more seat time, that was only my second run with my new setup, so i'm still gettin used to it!!!!!! But if all you want is mid to low 11's, don't bother with spending a ton of money on a stroker, just get a good H/C package, and go have fun!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Loudmouth LS1
Dude, you can do that with just a cam and bolt-on's (and of course the surrounding parts to support it, ie: 12-bolt, driveshaft, slicks, a little suspension to help hook it up, and clutch if ur a 6-speed or converter and built tranny if a4, etc, etc)!!!! I'm cam only, check my sig for times! And I don't even have all the bolt-on's, or a tune in it yet, plus i'm sure I can pull some more out of her how she is with a little more seat time, that was only my second run with my new setup, so i'm still gettin used to it!!!!!! But if all you want is mid to low 11's, don't bother with spending a ton of money on a stroker, just get a good H/C package, and go have fun!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 05:33 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as already stated you dont need a huge stroker or h/c package to run 11's. hp is everything in the 1/4. with that said stokers and h/c are , but honestly with your experience i'd call up MTI, TSP, or a few other sponsors and have them build up your setup for you to your chosen specs.
Old 01-30-2004, 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't started yet but I thought what better place to ask questions and to start on it...

I plan to build a new motor and basically I'm looking for mid 11's maybe low 11's....I have a 427 in mind but I'm also thinking about a 408 or a 383(2)?? ...I want it N/A...can people give me suggestions on Stroker Kits, Heads, Cam's, PIstons, you know the deal...

look at my sig, there is high 11's in her now with a cam only and no heads ill get low 11's but since you wont want a big cam get some good heads and a small cam. will run smooth and will run 11's
Old 01-30-2004, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
look at my sig, there is high 11's in her now with a cam only and no heads ill get low 11's but since you wont want a big cam get some good heads and a small cam. will run smooth and will run 11's
HP is no problem it is gettin it to hook up and not snap your stock rear. What is a 12 bolt these days like $2000+?

Looking forward to a cam and headers but dread not being able to put super sticky tires on there out of fear of the rear.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Debian Dog
HP is no problem it is gettin it to hook up and not snap your stock rear. What is a 12 bolt these days like $2000+?

Looking forward to a cam and headers but dread not being able to put super sticky tires on there out of fear of the rear.
if you only run high 12's in a auto there is no good reason to get a 12 bolt unless you want to spray a big shot off the line with slicks.
i got my 12 bolt fully optioned out with the 4 channel for tcs and abs. 1350 upgrade and 33splines with the eaton posi. cost 2400
Old 01-30-2004, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Debian Dog

I was like that too, then I just said **** it and threw slicks on it and launched the **** out of it and the rear broke after 3 or 4 passes, hehe!!!! So then it kind of made me have to buy the rear, so I saved really hard to get it as fast as possible and spent very carefully, cuz I knew I needed the rear! Sometimes all you need is a little motivation, cuz trust me, I didn't want to throw down over $2000 for a rear either, but it's a necessity on any modified car that is raced on a regular basis!!!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I was like that too, then I just said **** it and threw slicks on it and launched the **** out of it and the rear broke after 3 or 4 passes, hehe!!!! So then it kind of made me have to buy the rear, so I saved really hard to get it as fast as possible and spent very carefully, cuz I knew I needed the rear! Sometimes all you need is a little motivation, cuz trust me, I didn't want to throw down over $2000 for a rear either, but it's a necessity on any modified car that is raced on a regular basis!!!!!
guess it is a hit and miss. i know someone who put 200 passes on a stock rear with slicks and a 3600 stall. pulled the tires and never broke.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SMOKIN01TA
guess it is a hit and miss. i know someone who put 200 passes on a stock rear with slicks and a 3600 stall. pulled the tires and never broke.
I swapped from an M6 to a Turbo 400, so I figured hey I have an auto now so I can throw slicks on it and not break - I was WRONG!!!! I do have a 4000 (very loose, feels like a 4400) stall though, so maybe that made the diff! But then again, maybe it was weak from 50,000 miles with the 6 speed even though I never launched it on a tire with the 6 speed. Had a T/A cover on it too. The posi is what broke.
Old 01-30-2004, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was like that too, then I just said **** it and threw slicks on it and launched the **** out of it
Similar to how I got my pro built tranny. Window switch? F that! I will spray through!!! I got 10-12 passes on that
Old 01-30-2004, 06:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

The posi is what broke.
I am going for the 9" so I can just be dumb about it
Old 01-30-2004, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree a good head and cam package with all of the supporting parts will get you where you want to be easily.