Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 with cam/heads - some white smoke at startup

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 with cam/heads - some white smoke at startup

Hi all. As the weather is getting colder (in my perspective, as I live in Florida), my car has started to puff a little white smoke at start up. Thing is, it's not really THAT cold and I don't know that the winter isn't just a coincidence. I have a PCV delete and catch can that is not full (haven't checked the filter in it). Car only has 11xxx miles on it so I don't think any seals should be leaking.

Any ideas as to what my be going on? Once it reaches temp and gets running, the smoke goes away. It only comes back after it's been sitting at idle for awhile.

One idea I had was that I got my oil changed at roughly the same time. The tech put 6 total quarts in. I thought that may be too much, but the dipstick showed it within limits. I really hope someone might be able to guide me down the right path. Not too car savvy! Any help is appreciated!
Old 12-21-2010, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does the car have a stock exhaust system?
Old 12-21-2010, 05:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Older chevy's were notorious for the valve seals leaking, and after sitting, oil would leak past the seals and into the combustion chamber, but with the low mileage of yours that seems a little early on in the engines life to be doing that.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

Kooks long tubes, cats, magnaflow exhaust. Should also mention the fuel trim is turned off. It definitely smells strong when it's idling. Could the fuel trim have anything to do with the problem?
Old 12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

White is typically water or anti-freeze. Some white smoke on first start up of the day is normal from condensation. You're engine is hot, as it cools down the cool humid air can build condensation in the engine.

However, if your engine is hot and idling the white smoke shouldn't return unless your burning water or antifreeze.

So, the questions are;
Is the smoke white or blueish white?
What do you mean by "idle" when you said "It only comes back after it's been sitting at idle for awhile."?

If by idle you mean off, then it could very well be condensation; especially considering Florida is experiencing an unusually cold winter. What's the humidity there with the cold?

However, if you mean idle (as in car running at lowest throttle) then it's a different issue; oil causes blueish white exhaust smoke. And that could happen from being a quart high, but I've never personally experienced that.

The other thing with GM Vortec's is that it is considered perfectly acceptable for your engine to burn something like a quart and a half every 3000 miles; it was some thing crazy like that. You'll find oil in your intake almost every time you look in there. Weird right? Off topic I know.

My Suburban would do this in Tacoma, WA during humid yet cold months (pretty much "Spring" and fall). But, when I moved to a dryer climate it stopped (like North Texas, New Mexico, and Colorado). It was weird cause I don't think all Vortec's do this.

Anywho, check you oil for water (it'd look like chocolate milk) and check your anti freeze for oil. If you see no fluids in the wrong place you should be good.

Last edited by hrcslam; 12-21-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

THe car holds 5 1/2 quarts normally. !/2 a quart more isn't gonna cause it to smoke. Probally just burning off condensation in the tail pipes.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the replies. By idling, I meant driving and letting the car come to idle speed, such as at stoplights, while still running. It is VERY minor once the car warms up. Smoke could be considered blueish-white, but more white to dark white than anything.

I'll def check the oil and anti-freeze. Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Launching!

Hi,
i hope this answer helps you.......white can be normal condensation at start-up.however, if you have white smoke when driving down the road it could be a head gasket or cracked block. Your breath is similar to the aforementioned in that you blow white smoke when exhaling in cold weather(condensation).all oil burns a blue color.how much oil are you using . Most accepted is 1500 miles per quart less than 500 you need to consider an overhaul. Too much fuel (rich)black.too little fuel (lean) gray. You can also check your vacuum pressure it should be steady. Compression test to rule out head gasket and other issues. Merry christmas
jim

Last edited by jim ravencraft; 12-21-2010 at 06:12 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 12-21-2010, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hisjakeness
Thanks for the replies. By idling, I meant driving and letting the car come to idle speed, such as at stoplights, while still running. It is VERY minor once the car warms up. Smoke could be considered blueish-white, but more white to dark white than anything.

I'll def check the oil and anti-freeze. Thanks for the tips!
When was the last time you cleaned you injectors and fuel system? Dark smoke could be a dirty engine (inside). The addition of the condensation can amplify the look of the smoke. You also have to remember that even though it isn't cold enough for you to see your own breath doesn't mean it's not cold enough for your car to look like it's smoking. The exhaust on a car is ridiculously hotter than your breath.

If there's no fluids in the wrong place, I would run some fuel system cleaner through it and call it good. For added piece of mind do the vacuum test and compression check as recommended by Jim Ravencraft above, if all of those check out you should be fine.

Last edited by hrcslam; 12-21-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Sounds like you may need to check things out under the valve cover and possibly do valve seals.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the responses. I'm definitely gonna check everything, then do a good cleaning.

Quick Reply: LS1 with cam/heads - some white smoke at startup