Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What makes popular cams good power makers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 12:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What makes popular cams good power makers?

TR220,224,230's TSP 231/237, MTI 244/244, 242/242- these cams are what I see around the most. For example, the TSP 231/237 is one of the newer cams being used but, if I were to have 232/238 or 230/236 with the rest of the specs being the same, it wouldn't be as good as the TSP would it? What all do you need to take into consideration when building a motor and wanting a custom grind cam? How do all the specs in a cam affect the power range you're looking to use? Duration, lobe seperation angles, lift, lobe inclination angles, etc?
Old 02-10-2004, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

The combination being used, the parts, and the intended power range will decide the optimum camshaft. Flow numbers, stroke, rod length, bore, compression all of these factors relate to camshaft. Shelf cams are starting points for customers to use with relative engine combos to obtain proven power. Its the safe route to go. Custom is for the ones that want every ounce of power out of the combination.

Chris
Old 02-10-2004, 12:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

and keep in mind sometimes custom cams arent the way to go because most of them arent proven and just work well on a computer sim of how they are supposed to work....Cstraub is absolutly correct though every part of the cam specs affect how and where it will make power. And there are hundreds of factors that can come into play when choosing the correct cam even if it is an off the shelf one.

lata
Bill
Old 02-10-2004, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

A true custom cam shouldn't be proven for anyone else except that combination that it was designed for. And your right, my cams never do make what the computer says, for some reason its like a Stuska, stingy with power ratings. Out of 100's of camshafts, I have had 2 not perform correctly. . .but I did those without airflow figures and based it on averages. I don't do that anymore.

When looking to do a custom camshaft, look for someone who ask a lot of questions pertaining to the combo, heads, airflow, power wanted and such.

Chris
Old 02-10-2004, 02:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cstraub
A true custom cam shouldn't be proven for anyone else except that combination that it was designed for. And your right, my cams never do make what the computer says, for some reason its like a Stuska, stingy with power ratings. Out of 100's of camshafts, I have had 2 not perform correctly. . .but I did those without airflow figures and based it on averages. I don't do that anymore.

When looking to do a custom camshaft, look for someone who ask a lot of questions pertaining to the combo, heads, airflow, power wanted and such.

Chris
exactly. a custsom cam built around the rest of your setup should make more power under the curve across the whole powerband then an off the shelf grind.

alot of R&D goes into the off the shelf cams and the popular ones have just proven themselves to work great in a multitude of setups. If i remember right someone already tried what your thinking off, taking the cams specs of another cam and going 2* bigger on duration for a custom cam and lost power.
Old 02-10-2004, 04:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Silent, The only thing that is clear from your question is that you want to understand how various camshaft parameters relate to engine performance. That is a noble goal but a poor starting point for choosing a custom cam. Since you have not clearly stated your requirements it is not clear why none of the many off-the-shelf cams is suitable.

Respectfully, Gary
Old 02-10-2004, 05:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gary Z
Silent, The only thing that is clear from your question is that you want to understand how various camshaft parameters relate to engine performance. That is a noble goal but a poor starting point for choosing a custom cam. Since you have not clearly stated your requirements it is not clear why none of the many off-the-shelf cams is suitable.

Respectfully, Gary
The reason I ask is because I may be changing my current setup to an alluminum 427. I will be re-using my current S3 6.0 heads so I wanted to know or have a better understanding of cam specs for when the time comes to choose one, rather than having a large duration high lift cam made just because I can. I'm not saying off the shelf cams aren't suitable but, after putting the amount of time and money into this next engine, I'd like to get the most out of it.

I'm trying get everything in order for this next setup to be a step ahead. I'm looking to build a 427 hudraulic roller-4"stroke x 4.125" bore w/ perhaps a 6.125" rod and the pistons will be dished to achieve 12:1 CR. I plan on a dual stage ~125/250 wet shot. I want max effort setup that is somewhat streetable. If there's any other details I'm leaving out let me know, thanks. BTW, drivetrain is in the sig.
Old 02-11-2004, 01:13 PM
10 Second Club

“I want max effort setup that is somewhat streetable.”

This statement and the fact that you have an automatic transmission go a long way toward determining your cam choice. I still don’t think you should be considering a custom cam for two reasons: The first reason is that your requirements are not especially unusual. You can benefit from the experience of others who have similar requirements and setups by choosing a proven camshaft. The second reason is that compared to the expense and effort you are investing in your car, installing a different cam at some future point is relatively cheap and easy. You might want to try several different cams before you find your ultimate, possibly custom, cam.

-Gary
Old 02-11-2004, 02:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

You might want to try several different cams before you find your ultimate, possibly custom, cam.
Gary, I have to disagree. When my customers give me all the info I require to design a camshaft, the right cam is always the first one I send them. . .its much cheaper this way.

You can benefit from the experience of others who have similar requirements and setups by choosing a proven camshaft

Very true and is a safe route to go if the car is not in competition, but if you are running competitive classes you can't follow the pack.

Not picking on you and don't mean any flames but their are some people that know their stuff and know how to really make power.

Chris
Old 02-11-2004, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

It has been my experience that the cam is chosen based on what the heads/intake/exhaust are doing.

Analyze your head flow, intake/exhaust CC's and flow numbers, intended rpm range, gear/converter selection, whether or not vacuum is a concern and then pick a grind accordingly.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:14 PM
On The Tree

its the other way around good cam's become popular because they are power makers
Old 02-11-2004, 08:32 PM
10 Second Club

When my customers give me all the info I require to design a camshaft, the right cam is always the first one I send them. . .its much cheaper this way.
This claim is impressive. I wouldn’t have thought GM or Toyota could do that.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe thats why we do R&D for both companies.. . .well not Toyota anymore. . we were to expensive for the Truck Series.

Chris