Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible blown head gasket????

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 04:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Possible blown head gasket????

Mods are in my sig.... I’m hoping for just a blown head gasket....

So I took the car to the track (1/4 mile) and on my 4th run after it was done and heading back to the starting line, the motor started feeling weird so i pulled over turned it off, checked the oil and everything looked ok. Turn it back on and now a whole bunch of white smoke kind of smelling like coolant is comming out of the exhaust and the car is shaking with a little tick (Like a exhaust leak). Check the radiator and no coolant. So I call a tow truck to get the car back home. Once back home I turn it on again to get it in the garage and now the motor is surging bad like if i would have had a cam in it and a whole bunch of white smoke.... But no knock! so I’m hoping (wishful thinking) that it’s just a head gasket...

I have yet to take a look at anything.. probably do it this weekend. Drain the oil and see what it looks like. then remove the heads and see what that looks like.

Posting to get peoples opinions as well as a little help on diagnosing the problem
Old 01-17-2011, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Def sounds like a blown gasket.. don't run it anymore
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Pull the plugs, and get all the water out. Drain the oil and flush the engine crankcase out with diesel asap (without running the engine...just crank it over without the plugs in it.) I would not let it sit until this weekend.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by salemetro
Pull the plugs, and get all the water out. Drain the oil and flush the engine crankcase out with diesel asap (without running the engine...just crank it over without the plugs in it.) I would not let it sit until this weekend.
Agreed, pull plugs and watch for water blowing out. Then might even spray some wd-40 in it and turn it over to keep surface rust from settling in. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, doing this ASAP! Tomorrow by the latest!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Teching In

Rust will develop fast in those virgin metal cylinders. If you pull the plugs, you can turn it with the starter to get the water out. Of course, if water comes out, you know what the problem is. I agree with everyone, seems like a blown head gasket. Dont wait if it is, get on it fast.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would happen if he developed tiny amounts of surface rust?
Old 01-18-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Can you elaberate alittle about flushing the engine crankcase with diesel? Like do you just add it where you would add the oil and let it just flush threw?

Thanks
Old 01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will be working on it today as soon as i get off work!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, let me start by saying that i checked the radiator again with a flash light and the coolant in the radiator was full. Checked the oil again and looked fine. Keep in mind i only drove the car for maybe a minute after I noticed something was wrong.

So i pulled the plugs and except for plug # 5 they all looked good. On plug #5 the gap was closed completely. So I crank the motor and no fluids coming out the spark plug holes except the gas from the injectors. So I put my finger in the hole and its wet, smell it and it smells like coolent. Did it to all the holes and the only one that is wet and smell like coolent was the #5.

Tomorrow I will drain the oil and start removing the heads. Im just going to remove the heads and check it out that way.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Pics of the carnage

Looks like i blew 2 pistons

Piston # 5

Piston # 7

Old 01-25-2011, 03:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear that man.. time to upgrade!
Old 01-25-2011, 06:39 PM
Banned

make sure u pay some extra attention to the cylinder walls on the ones that broke the pistons i learned about the number 7 cylinder from experience... was u running on motor or did u have nitrous on the car??
Old 01-25-2011, 10:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slap(A)hoe
make sure u pay some extra attention to the cylinder walls on the ones that broke the pistons i learned about the number 7 cylinder from experience... was u running on motor or did u have nitrous on the car??
Blower 9lbs