Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve stem tip gouged?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2021, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Valve stem tip gouged?

I realize this isn't an LS motor but the same would apply and there's a lot more people in this forum than the older LT1/LT4 group. I'm rebuilding stock heads from a '95 LT1 motor that had 114K miles on it as a project with my son. As I was pulling valves out I noticed one of the intake valves was sticking in the guide once the tip was down into the guide (valve open much further than it would be during normal operation). I got the valve out but there's definitely some resistance when the tip goes through the guide during install or removal. It looks like there are some small gouges on the ring where the locks hold the valve. It looks like 2 small gouges and then 180 degrees over are 2 more. Could the valve locks somehow have done this? None of the other valve stems have these. I'm going with new valve spring, retainers, and locks but now I'm worried about this one valve. Thoughts?

Old 09-09-2021, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 610 Likes on 421 Posts

You should ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS clean up that sort of thing before even TRYING to remove the valves.

What you just did, was to put giant dig marks in the valve guides.

That looks like something bad happened during a previous install.

Given that stock valves are kinda crappy for the most part anyway, best to just replace them all. The Manley "street flo" ones are a VAST improvement over stock, for not too much $$$. Much harder material, better made altogether, noticeable improvement in engine output.
The following users liked this post:
Che70velle (09-09-2021)
Old 09-09-2021, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was afraid of that. At first I thought the stem must've been slightly bent or something but then found the gouge marks afterwards. As far as I can tell it's a stock motor although on disassembly I noticed the oil pump pickup tube was tacked on which tells me it was replaced at some point. Who knows...maybe someone had that valve out in the past. With new seals do I risk oil consumption with a scored guide or potential improper lubrication for this one valve? I could always take it to the machine shop that's rebuilding my short block.
Old 09-09-2021, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 523 Likes on 372 Posts

Look at it this way

If you don't replace that valve you'll always second guess the decision

The peace of mind of replacing it is worth it, 100 fold.
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (09-09-2021)

Quick Reply: Valve stem tip gouged?