Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EPS vs. TSP

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EPS vs. TSP

Hello everyone. I'm looking to cam my 2000 Z28 M6 after my current school semester is over (around may/june), I already have the basics LS6 intake, LT's/ORY, SLP catback, ported TB, Chris1313, Diamond clutch, etc.

At this point i'm really not interested much in torque or bottom RPM range numbers, i'm more concerned with power up top. With that in mind i'm looking at cams in the 230 range, even considering the TSP MS3. Now I have dealt with TSP a few times and they have been great so far. Very friendly over the phone and my parts always get shipped within a day or two. However, i've heard great things about EPS custom grinds as well. I did however, run into a few threads that said EPS has been a little slow with meeting demand. Can anyone give me any insight on which one they would choose and why? Of course i realize i'm probably in a win win situation, where I can't really go wrong with either

Also i'm planning on upgrading the usual stuff with the cam upgrade (oil pump, springs, timing chain, etc.). I am also wondering if I should have frost tune my computer (I have a spare engine computer) just so I can drive it to the tune shop (about 100 miles away)? Is this a waste? Thanks everyone for your time in advance!
Old 04-02-2011, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

mmmm Torque is what moves your car, power just keeps it there! why on earth would you want to rev the **** out of a non forged block & have a car thats a complete slug down low?
Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by KTK Z28
However, i've heard great things about EPS custom grinds as well. I did however, run into a few threads that said EPS has been a little slow with meeting demand.
I am getting an EPS cam and he told me specifically that if I am in a hurry then he is not the guy for the job. Fortunately, I am not in a hurry. He told me it would be 3 weeks and I will not be surprised if it is longer, according to some posts. The guy is obviously very smart and designed the lobes himself and was an instructor (for EFI if I recall correctly). Heck of a good guy but if you are in a hurry then he will tell you that he is not the right choice. I am convinced he is extremely busy because of how good he is both intellectually and personally. Good things come to those who wait.

Torque and Traction win on the street.
Torque = ET ... HP = MPH.
I would rather get there first going 100 mph than be last going 110.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Paul57
I am getting an EPS cam and he told me specifically that if I am in a hurry then he is not the guy for the job. Fortunately, I am not in a hurry. He told me it would be 3 weeks and I will not be surprised if it is longer, according to some posts. The guy is obviously very smart and designed the lobes himself and was an instructor (for EFI if I recall correctly). Heck of a good guy but if you are in a hurry then he will tell you that he is not the right choice. I am convinced he is extremely busy because of how good he is both intellectually and personally. Good things come to those who wait.

Torque and Traction win on the street.
Torque = ET ... HP = MPH.
I would rather get there first going 100 mph than be last going 110.
Definitely, I assumed that EPS products are in really high demand right now and they just can't keep up. Of course, as you stated they are in high demand for a very good reason.

The reason behind horsepower being above torque for my application is I rarely dig race. I can't even remember the last time I ran from a stop. I guess the area i'm in just has a lot of roll racing and that's just the way it is. Lame? Yeah i'd say so but why make a dig race car when I can't even utilize it . Not only that I plan on using a street tire or a half *** drag radial like a NT05R or 555R, which isn't gonna hook a torque monster setup anyways.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Definitely, I assumed that EPS products are in really high demand right now and they just can't keep up. Of course, as you stated they are in high demand for a very good reason.

The reason behind horsepower being above torque for my application is I rarely dig race. I can't even remember the last time I ran from a stop. I guess the area i'm in just has a lot of roll racing and that's just the way it is. Lame? Yeah i'd say so but why make a dig race car when I can't even utilize it . Not only that I plan on using a street tire or a half *** drag radial like a NT05R or 555R, which isn't gonna hook a torque monster setup anyways.
Mate! you need to read, read & read some more. Then when you've read all you can, search & read more, then ask us questions!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Mate! you need to read, read & read some more. Then when you've read all you can, search & read more, then ask us questions!
I have read and researched... i've wanted to cam this car since the fall of 2010...
Old 04-03-2011, 12:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I would much rather have something with good torque down low and something with a broad powerband than something that is only good for top end hp numbers. Research a little more and don't limit yourself on choices.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Texas Speed has plenty of different grinds to chose from to suit your needs.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's more to it than HP=MPH and TQ=E.T. Torque comes into play for PERSONAL situations as in part throttle or flooring it in fourth to pass someone on the highway when you're at 2500-3000rpm in a higher gear than you would be when racing. After 1st gear every gear bang is going to put you ABOVE peak torque meaning its already falling off. A bigger cam should carry torque longer than a smaller one AFTER peak anyhow so keep that in mind if you're going to be racing alot.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:47 AM
On The Tree

When you order EPA has comp do the cut. Mine came from comp direct and it took exactly four weeks as he said it would. It's worth the wait and dont bs you
Old 04-03-2011, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by intenseblue
There's more to it than HP=MPH and TQ=E.T.
You are right...I did over-simplify it but it was to illustrate a point which I think happened??
I would disagree with you on bangin' shifts though. When I shift into second the RPM's will drop right back into the high point of my torque...about 1000 rpms below peak (estimated)...so it will pull hard to peak torque in that new gear. I suppose every application is different so not everyone is set up that way...sometimes I forget that...I don't always follow the masses.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I say waiting a long time for a cam is silly. There are tons of good companies that are ready to earn your business. Limiting to two companies is selling yourself short. Want me to name a few I think you should consider? How about Thunder, Cam Motion, Futral, Vengeance, HPE? These companies have great cams to offer. I chose a cam motion grind and I am very pleased. Open your options up, you may be surprised what you see.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by intenseblue
Torque comes into play for PERSONAL situations as in part throttle or flooring it in fourth to pass someone on the highway when you're at 2500-3000rpm in a higher gear than you would be when racing.
x 2...my over-simplifying missed that
Old 04-03-2011, 02:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I say waiting a long time for a cam is silly. There are tons of good companies that are ready to earn your business. Limiting to two companies is selling yourself short. Want me to name a few I think you should consider? How about Thunder, Cam Motion, Futral, Vengeance, HPE? These companies have great cams to offer. I chose a cam motion grind and I am very pleased. Open your options up, you may be surprised what you see.
good suggestion. i kind of have the same mentality as OP. i think it's because of the fact that we read so much about these two companies, we have them stuck in our heads. you definitely make a good point tho. i'll have to keep this in mind. thanks
Old 04-03-2011, 05:46 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
I have read about Thunder extensively on this forum, maybe I discounted them just because it SEEMS that their claim to fame is their CheaTR series that makes great power on stock manifolds. Of course I realize this is not their ONLY strong point, but it most of the threads i've found through research has been regarding the previous. I have also heard good things about Futral, and Vengeance as well, but I will definitely open up my choices to Cam Motion and HPE, I just haven't read much about them for some reason. In spite of that i'm sure they push out a good product though. Thank you for the suggestions.

Maybe I was a little vague in my original post. What I meant was not necessarily to discredit the necessity for torque and power band but more to the effect of choosing horsepower over torque. Of course there are grinds that give an LS1 good torque AND power gains but i'm currently looking for a cam that will be strong on a roll (a 60 roll for example). It doesn't help that most of the cam threads i've read had numerous posts that say soemthing to the effect of "I wish I had gone bigger" .

I'm not looking for a cam selection per say, more to the effect of which company would suit me best. Thank you again everyone.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:31 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it really depends on what your looking for,I think a lot of first timers think a big cam will make there car a beast,that's not how it is,if you go big there is so much more to it than just (I'm gonna get a trex),for one the stock gears will have to go,no matter what,my ms4 was such a dog on stock gears unless it was at a 50 roll,what fun is that,I couldn't even spin the tires from a stop,lol, 4.10s made the cam,and in the new rear I will go 4.30s ,would be 4.56s if I wasn't gonna spray,ok now gears are done lol,you will also need injectors,I was running out on the stockers the first time on the dyno and we couldn't even tune it where it should be,I could go down the list but a few things to also think about is rodbolts,lifters,rocker upgrade,I run a ms4 cam in my car and I like it,pulls hard on a roll and now isn't to bad down low,but I knew what I was getting into,I talked on the phone with tsp a few times ,they were great,for the future plans I had the ms4 fit my goals ,but I do not think its good for a dd,I'm not gonna lie to you like some people and say you can dd it ,my car runs great but we have so much time in the tune,few hours on the dyno,street,and some driveway pits stops,I'm not good on given info,but maybe some of this will help,I have been in cars with lightly ported 243s,smaller cam,3.73s and they were a lot of fun and made great power,like I said I suck at trying to explain info,I don't know what's in your budget or your plans,but don't build a car off of roll racing,you will kick yourself down the road
Old 04-03-2011, 08:08 AM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also you will want a dyno tune,imo mail in tunes are just baseline tunes to get ya to a dyno,and if you have cams like the ms3 in mind you will for sure want some dyno time,honest the ms3 is a great cam and has been proveni would maybe call tsp and eps and talk with them.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm not trying to sway your decision for what you want to buy. But I have seen some great cams out there. Not to mention the owner of EPS designed almost all of Thunder's cams, the cams that put them on the map around here. And ya know what? Those same cams still work. The LS1 hasn't changed, which means old grinds are tried and true. Their results are predictable, and well documented. Its like a guarantee of what you are gonna get on the side of the box. I never understand the chasing of the flavor of the month bs. Seems so silly when proven grinds are right there in your face. Some of the other vendors I dont know much about but I have seen cars that stuck out to me and I paid attention to what they were running. I saw an HPE S-cam car demolish a C6-Z, with the camaro launching very soft and running a small shot. That car just worked, on and off the spray. Cam Motion is a well known name, just not so much in the LS game. A lot of people are running Cam Motion grinds they just don't post about it. I'm one of the few that speaks up. Cam Motion makes their own grinds unique to them. Futral is across the street from CM and has them cut his cams his way for him. Most everyone else uses Comp for their cams. And even though Geoff left Thunder to start EPS, all his grinds for Thunder obviously stayed there. And after poking around a little bit with Shane at Thunder, they are working hard to develop new stuff there as well. He told me that they could custom spec cams for anyone, anytime. Everyone talks about EPS and Pat G spec'd cams like they are the only ones doing it......well most cam sellers on this site will be happy to change up the specs to suit your personal taste. And for the record I have ridden in a Pat G spec'd car as well, and it moved out nicely with tons of low speed torque. So, my point is you are one lucky SOB, bc there are some great companies out there. So get to reading...
Old 04-03-2011, 09:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

maybe look at some comp LSr cams,but I prefer a custom cam .
Old 04-03-2011, 01:21 PM
TECH Regular

I have read about Thunder extensively on this forum, maybe I discounted them just because it SEEMS that their claim to fame is their CheaTR series that makes great power on stock manifolds. Of course I realize this is not their ONLY strong point, but it most of the threads i've found through research has been regarding the previous. I have also heard good things about Futral, and Vengeance as well, but I will definitely open up my choices to Cam Motion and HPE, I just haven't read much about them for some reason. In spite of that i'm sure they push out a good product though. Thank you for the suggestions.

Maybe I was a little vague in my original post. What I meant was not necessarily to discredit the necessity for torque and power band but more to the effect of choosing horsepower over torque. Of course there are grinds that give an LS1 good torque AND power gains but i'm currently looking for a cam that will be strong on a roll (a 60 roll for example). It doesn't help that most of the cam threads i've read had numerous posts that say soemthing to the effect of "I wish I had gone bigger" .

I'm not looking for a cam selection per say, more to the effect of which company would suit me best. Thank you again everyone.
Thunder produces the famous TRex

Quick Reply: EPS vs. TSP