Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil in the intake with LS6 valley cover

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil in the intake with LS6 valley cover

I installed a LS6 valley cover like 2years ago. I think its the 04+ design, if I remember tight. I had to notch the block and it had what I believe is the black seperator on the underside. My question is, it uses a little oil, maybe 1-1.5 quart every 5,000 but I do wring it out regularly too. I kinda don't think its rings cause it don't smoke going down the road, and if anything, a little puffs on start up prolly from valve seals. However, I got an oil line right at the tb blade and all inside the intake is oily. More than I think it should be anyway. I know it will have residue being a dry intake and all. Im wondering if its pulling the oil from the PCV? What are y'alls thoughts?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

I swapped my LS1 valley cover / PCV system to the LS6 style and saw absolutely zero decrease in oil consumption, and still have the oil line behind the throttle body blade.

1-1.5 every 5000 miles? Consider yourself lucky. I say you're fine.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:39 AM
On The Tree

See that's me too. Irk where its coming from. Just seems like a lot to me. The plugs ain't gunked up or fouled, so I don't think its a big concern, but I would still like to know if it can be fixed. I like to think im pretty sharp when it comes to engines, but im a little stumped on this one. There are no real clues to go by but PCV. And I didn't think there was much oil flying around in the valley, so where does it all come from!?!
Old 04-11-2011, 10:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Seems like every LS1 does this. You might want to consider adding a catch can.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fit a good quality sealed catch can like the elite engineering one and you will get next to zero oil in the intake. Once you've fitted it check it after a week of driving. You will be amazed how much oil it captures.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by macca_779
Fit a good quality sealed catch can like the elite engineering one and you will get next to zero oil in the intake. Once you've fitted it check it after a week of driving. You will be amazed how much oil it captures.
I run the same catch can. no oil in my intake. 1.5 qts is alot of oil for every 5k miles...
Old 04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just an FYI for you .... GM will tell you that if you use a quart of oil every 1,000 miles that your engine is within spec.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Teching In

I installed a filtered catch can on my turbo 02 SS camaro and it's still getting oil in the intake. Should I get a sealed catch can?
Old 11-06-2011, 07:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need a catch can, you will be amazed how much oil comes through the PCV system.

Originally Posted by sharp-slp
I installed a filtered catch can on my turbo 02 SS camaro and it's still getting oil in the intake. Should I get a sealed catch can?
I havent looking into the forced induction setups too much, but I recall them needing a more specialized catch can design than N/A or N2O engines.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Oil can travel up that little line behind the TB as well.It,s designed to allow air from the TB to circulate in the engine, but when the Tb is closed just after high rpm,s or down shifting it can draw oil from the valve cover in to the intake.I used to have this problem, even after I installed a catch can.What I ended up doing was installing a pcv valve in the little line to allow air in but not out.It worked great.

Quick Reply: oil in the intake with LS6 valley cover