Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rod/main bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rod/main bolts?

Are OEM rod & main bolts TTY, or are they reusable? When I pull my oil pan I plan to pull a couple bearing caps and inspect the bearings on my 77k mile LM4. Figure since the pan will be off anyways, I'd rather be safe then sorry.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rod and main bolts are reusable.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Launching!

Badass, thanks! Any idea where I can find a factory service manual now?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yes , You can re-use rods and main bolts once or twice as long as You don't have it supercharged or turbocharged and You're not going to spin it past 6000 or 6300 . Head bolts You for sure want to replace whenever You remove the heads .
Old 04-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chrisfrost
Yes , You can re-use rods and main bolts once or twice as long as You don't have it supercharged or turbocharged and You're not going to spin it past 6000 or 6300 . Head bolts You for sure want to replace whenever You remove the heads .

I'm planning on setting the rev limiter to at least 6500. Perhaps swapping to a 'vette damper, or better yet a good fluiddamper would be a good idea?
Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Someone will say you can do it on stock bolts safely, but I have and would at the least upgrade you for bolts and recommend main bolts too. If you go with Katech rod bolts they are a direct replacement...Oct read where some of the ARP bolts require machine work
Old 04-22-2011, 02:28 PM
11 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

xxx myth busted xxx

Last edited by MPFD; 04-22-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Launching!

Why are bolts an issue? I guess I need to find out what the stroke is on these cranks, I can't see why such a short V8 crank is going to have issues with higher rpm's. We spin the BMW I6 cranks (M/S50 series engines) to ~7200 rpm. Anything higher (on a regular basis), since they're such a long crank you get into their 2nd order harmonics, and they'll shake themselves to pieces, shear oil pump shafts, snap cams/cranks, etc. The S54 revs to 8500, and has a MUCH bigger crank damper, and 4 big bolts to hold it down vs 1 on the M50's.

I'm guess I'm just asking what is it about stock bolts that aren't adequit at 6500 rpm's?
Old 04-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mark21742
Someone will say you can do it on stock bolts safely, but I have and would at the least upgrade you for bolts and recommend main bolts too. If you go with Katech rod bolts they are a direct replacement...Oct read where some of the ARP bolts require machine work
Originally Posted by chrisfrost
What is the issue with stock rod & main bolts above 6300 rpm? Are they backing out, or shearing?
Old 04-25-2011, 05:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kendogg
What is the issue with stock rod & main bolts above 6300 rpm? Are they backing out, or shearing?
They stretch causing a rod bearing to spin...
Old 04-25-2011, 10:20 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SOMbitch
They stretch causing a rod bearing to spin...
Fair enough. Is this JUST rod bolts? Thanks!
Old 04-25-2011, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are quite a few on here that have used stock bottom end racing and supercharging and turbocharging without issues . GM says to replace them every time it is dissassembled but from what I've read on here it's not nearly that critical but if the engine is going to be pushed , I would upgrade . Go over to Youtube and search 5.3L, LS1, LS6, 6.0L supercharged dyno and check some of them out . I saw 1 guy boosting to 2000hp supposedly on stock bottom end . You could probably do it but would'nt last very long . The stroke of the 4.8L is 3.267" and the rod is 6.275"
Old 04-25-2011, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oops , the LM4 is a 5.3L and the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 , and the 6.2L all share the same stroke and rod length with 3.622" stroke and 6.098"rod .
Old 04-26-2011, 09:28 AM
Launching!

OK. This comes back to my original question, but WHY? What is making them stretch, what kinds of forces is the crank creating that is making rod bolts stretch? Is it because of the length of the stroke, or is it just overall a poor design without enough torque on the bolts? If somebody knew the yield point of stock bolts you could probably stretch them appropriately (1-time use) and get a good bit more holding force from them.

However, when using aftermarket bolts like ARP's, what are they being torqued to? If they're being torqued higher, is that distorting the bearing shells at all, and also decreasing oil film thickness on parts of the bearing surface? No real information as to whats going on here, this is my first time dealing with an engine who's factory bolts are apparently inferior, so sorry for what may sound like a stupid question. However, Im one who likes to think that 9 times out of 10 the factory 'did it right', since where I come from (BMW world) the factory bolts have been stronger than any of the aftermarket 'upgrades' for many years now, factory intakes and TB's are designed best and have proven over and over and over again on the dyno that aftermarket 'upgrades' make all of 0hp, and sometimes a loss in torque, etc. For example, ARP just recently released a new 10mm headstud for the E36's engine family that is finally stronger than factory head bolts, thanks to a local friend who's an automotive/racecar engineer who designs turbo kits and factory ecu tuning for BMW's.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kendogg
OK. This comes back to my original question, but WHY? What is making them stretch, what kinds of forces is the crank creating that is making rod bolts stretch? Is it because of the length of the stroke, or is it just overall a poor design without enough torque on the bolts? If somebody knew the yield point of stock bolts you could probably stretch them appropriately (1-time use) and get a good bit more holding force from them.

However, when using aftermarket bolts like ARP's, what are they being torqued to? If they're being torqued higher, is that distorting the bearing shells at all, and also decreasing oil film thickness on parts of the bearing surface? No real information as to whats going on here, this is my first time dealing with an engine who's factory bolts are apparently inferior, so sorry for what may sound like a stupid question. However, Im one who likes to think that 9 times out of 10 the factory 'did it right', since where I come from (BMW world) the factory bolts have been stronger than any of the aftermarket 'upgrades' for many years now, factory intakes and TB's are designed best and have proven over and over and over again on the dyno that aftermarket 'upgrades' make all of 0hp, and sometimes a loss in torque, etc. For example, ARP just recently released a new 10mm headstud for the E36's engine family that is finally stronger than factory head bolts, thanks to a local friend who's an automotive/racecar engineer who designs turbo kits and factory ecu tuning for BMW's.
If i am correct, this is why you need to have machine work done with some of the ARP rod bolts....higher clampingforce does distort the end of the rod so it has to be re bored to fit proper tolerances

Quick Reply: Rod/main bolts?