Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

About to order my MS3.. Need some final decesions made

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default About to order my MS3.. Need some final decesions made

I plan to use this package: http://texas-speed.com/shop/item.asp...d=175&catid=49

With an MS3 on 112 LSA. I was recomended to go with 7.400 push rods, and the prc double kit. Should I go for the optional .675 EHT kit or just the standard?

After that is done I need to decide on an oil pump from tsp or I know lingenfelter sells some : http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...egory_Code=C54

But do I need a high pressure or high volume pump?

The last question is should I stay with a new ls2 timing set or go for the double roller?

I think that's all I should need for the cam swap, I'm going to go with doing my heads later on down the road when I can afford some nice ones

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We are currently out of stock on the .675" springs but I would recommend the .650" kit for that cam. It will do everything you need it to. On the pumps you can go either way. Obviously I like the TSP pump... The chain can go either way as well. I like the double rollers just for the added insurance but at the same time, the singles are a little easier to get the pick-up tube back in the oil pump. I have yet to have one have a failure with either one though. If you decide to go single, we have some aftermarket singles that are a little cheaper than the LS2 chain set that are adjustable and really nice. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jon
Old 05-26-2011, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
We are currently out of stock on the .675" springs but I would recommend the .650" kit for that cam. It will do everything you need it to. On the pumps you can go either way. Obviously I like the TSP pump... The chain can go either way as well. I like the double rollers just for the added insurance but at the same time, the singles are a little easier to get the pick-up tube back in the oil pump. I have yet to have one have a failure with either one though. If you decide to go single, we have some aftermarket singles that are a little cheaper than the LS2 chain set that are adjustable and really nice. Let me know if you have any other questions!

Jon
Cool I read on a few places MS3 guys went with the .650 kit. I'll probably go with the melling pump and the LS2 chain.. Do I need to get a set or just the chain itself?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by Randal McSandal; 05-26-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you go with a Melling pump, get the 10926, not the 10925
Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mark21742
Why so?
Old 05-26-2011, 10:32 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by mark21742
I'll be the first to disagree with this advise! The 10296 is the high volume pump. Without an external devise needing oil (cooler, supercharger, turbo, etc) you don't need the high volume pump! The standard high pressure pump, 10295, will be more suited to your application, without the possibility of sucking the pan dry (very rare I know, but it has been done).

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 05-26-2011, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I'll be the first to disagree with this advise! The 10296 is the high volume pump. Without an external devise needing oil (cooler, supercharger, turbo, etc) you don't need the high volume pump! The standard high pressure pump, 10295, will be more suited to your application, without the possibility of sucking the pan dry (very rare I know, but it has been done).
first time I've been given this advice...but you guys are the experts! I always was under the impression that more oil was better...to a point of course
Old 05-26-2011, 11:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Randal: You can just get the chain and run it on the factory gears if you like. That's probably the most common upgrade.

Jon
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
I see. Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jon@Texas-Speed
Randal: You can just get the chain and run it on the factory gears if you like. That's probably the most common upgrade.

Jon
Will do.

Thanks again for the help
Old 05-26-2011, 12:12 PM
Teching In

A high volume oil pump takes more horsepower to turn. You want to use that new found power to move the car not the oil.

My son did spin a few rod bearings in a gen 1 small block, stock volume pan and high volume pump sucked it dry at high rpm.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS 63 Nova
A high volume oil pump takes more horsepower to turn. You want to use that new found power to move the car not the oil.

My son did spin a few rod bearings in a gen 1 small block, stock volume pan and high volume pump sucked it dry at high rpm.
is this something I should be worried about at 7,500+ rpms in my 408?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Erik at HKE and a couple of the local builders around here recommend the 10296. I could maybe see the pan sucking dry in a road race situation but the serious road race guys use different pans at the least or even better dry sump systems to prevent it from happening. I have run an extra half quart of oil in mine without issue for 5 years... I just cant see it being a problem in a streetcar....

Quick Reply: About to order my MS3.. Need some final decesions made