Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird Problem........

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird Problem........

My car recently has started acting up and I can't quite figure it out, so I thought I would throw the question out to you guys......

The car has a S2 Heads/Cam package and a Ram 910 clutch setup

Well the car started acting like the clutch was slipping pretty decent (put it in 6th gear and the revs would go up without the car doing much and then eventually feel like it would catch).

The weird thing is that it would only do this periodically. So just to be on the safe side I pulled the tranny and the clutch looked flawless, it had obviously never once spun the disk.

So my next guess is that my valve springs are fatigued (sp?). They are the ISKY Duals part #6205 that MTI runs. They have about 15K miles on them with a little over .600 lift. I was just curious if anyone else with worn out springs had had similar problems.

Thanks in advance,

Matt G
Old 02-26-2004, 03:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

TTT Please
Old 02-27-2004, 07:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

No opinions?
Old 02-27-2004, 08:41 AM
TECH Regular

I have an opinion. There is no physical way the revs can come up without slippage at the clutch or the wheels. If the revs came up like you said, the clutch was slipping, period.
Old 02-27-2004, 01:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

That is what I was convinced of as well, but I have installed litterally hundreds of clutches in LS1's and the clutch looked brand new still. It has maybe 1000 miles on it. I had another clutch ready to put in the car, but the clutch was so obviously pefect that I left it in. I have replaced all hydralics to the clutch as well and still feels the same........This is why I called the the thread "Weird Problem" I have never seen a car do what mine is doing...........
Old 02-27-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Regular

No specific suggestions, but for someone as experienced as you with clutches I'll ignore the obvious speculation @ installation mistakes and jump straight to the suggestion of defective parts. Could the disc or pressure plate be defective in some way that's not obvious to the eye?
Old 02-27-2004, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not trying to question your observations, but are you sure the rpms came up or could it have been missing? Might need to bleed the hydrolics, and check the spark plugs and make sure they are tight
Old 02-28-2004, 09:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Clutch looked perfect and was working for the first 1000 miles plus has been taken out and reinstalled and it is right. Plugs have been changed, the only thing that possibly makes since is that it is floating the valves. That could cause a raise in RPM that could simulate a clutch issue. I was just curious if anyone had had similar symptoms when the valves were floating. Keep throwing me out ideas Please
Old 02-28-2004, 08:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it is in 6th, how are you getting float?

What PP is it? in 6th, it may not take much for it to slip a tad, its not like a burn out slip, where it will just scorch it and you can see clear as day the hot spots.

put a new pp/disk in it and see what happens.
Old 02-29-2004, 01:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed, I am gonna throw in another clutch next week. I hadn't driven my car in a couple months and just did yesterday and there is no doubt that it is the clutch. Still just blows my mind how there were no hot spots on the flywheel or pressure plate........