Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 step activating in 3rd and 4th help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 06:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default 2 step activating in 3rd and 4th help!

Ok guys I just got my car back on the road. Everything works perfectly except one thing. Whenever I shift into 3rd and 4th my two step comes on at 3400 where it is set, so as soon as I shift it hits the 2step.

Now I am using jakes t-brake and his t brake is activated by the 2-3 shift solenoid. I have the 2 step wired into the same wire as the transbrake so it becomes active and engages when the button on my shifter is pressed. I think that the t brake wire is wired so that when it the tranny goes into 3rd and 4th it becomes grounded which is why the 2 step is engaging since its on that same wire. I havent tried the t brake out yet since it only engages in low gear with the button engaged so to be clear this is not the t brake that is coming on its the 2 step.

I know I will probably need a switched relay but I hate the idea of having to turn that switch off everytime after I launch. Is there a way to disable the msd 2 step at a set mph like the LPE unit?

I new I shoulda bought the LPE, I figured I wouldn't need a relay to make them both work together, but it looks like I will for this reason.

Last edited by Fbodyjunkie06; 07-12-2011 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're gonna have to post a wiring diagram...
Old 07-12-2011, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

**** I figured.

I'll get one drawn up.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 PM
10 Second Club

best i can do for now

If someone can host it or if your able to read it by zooming in let me know
Attached Thumbnails 2 step activating in 3rd and 4th help!-diagram.jpg  
Old 07-13-2011, 09:31 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the MSD 2 step on my M6,,with the button pressed the two steps works and asoon as I let go of the button which is under my clutch pedal it's off and it want come back on aslong as the engine never drops bellow the set rpm limit which I have the 2step set at 4300 rpms.

So if your 2step works like mine then you could use a toggle switch to send power to the 2step and Tbrake when your at the track and turn the power off when your not at the track.This should fix your problem because of the way your 2step is wired to the Tbrake if the engine is bellow your 3400rpm 2step setting when you shift into 3rd or 4th gear then the 2step will always come on unless your shifting into 3rd and 4th gear above 3400rpm then the 2step want come on.

I hope I have helped.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:39 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1of625
I have the MSD 2 step on my M6,,with the button pressed the two steps works and asoon as I let go of the button which is under my clutch pedal it's off and it want come back on aslong as the engine never drops bellow the set rpm limit which I have the 2step set at 4300 rpms.

So if your 2step works like mine then you could use a toggle switch to send power to the 2step and Tbrake when your at the track and turn the power off when your not at the track.This should fix your problem because of the way your 2step is wired to the Tbrake if the engine is bellow your 3400rpm 2step setting when you shift into 3rd or 4th gear then the 2step will always come on unless your shifting into 3rd and 4th gear above 3400rpm then the 2step want come on.

I hope I have helped.
I understand all of that completely, and you were right about everything. You were not wrong at all in what you stated. The problem I am having is coming from how the Transbrake is wired in the tcm harness. The t brake is activated by the 2-3 shift solenoid. SO, when the tranny is shifted in into manual low and the momentary button is grounded i.e. pressed it engages and when let go of the button it disengages both 2 step and transbrake. The problem with what I have is that since the T brake is activated by that 2-3 shift solenoid when I shift into 3rd gear and 4th gear the t brake wire becomes grounded, but since the tranny isn't in 1st gear the transbrake doesn't ever fully engage, but since that wire became grounded and the 2 step is ON THAT SAME WIRE, it engages the 2 step cutting my engine out at 3400rpm shifting from wot in 2nd into 3rd. My shift extensions are like 1500rpm so theoretically when I shift at 6500rpm from 2nd into 3rd it shouldn't go below 5000rpm, but since that 2-3 solenoid that the trans brake uses its becoming grounded in 3rd and 4th, and the 2 step is cutting in and cutting it to 3400. I understand that the red light means its active but since I am using the blue wire it wont 'engage' until my momentary button is pressed.

Does that make sense now?

So what I need is a switch so I can turn the 2 step and off once I launch, which sounds like a pain in the *** to have to do everytime I launch.

Right now I have the one plug (solid blue wire) for the msd 2 step unplugged and the other unplugged(white/blue) and it does not have the cutting out problem at 3400rpm so I KNOW it is the 2 step engaging.

I am so frustrated. I love my car and I wont sell it or quit its aftermarket its not going to all be easy. I just need a better suggestion than having to turn that relay switch off everytime I launch the car......
Old 07-13-2011, 07:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fbodyjunkie06
best i can do for now

If someone can host it or if your able to read it by zooming in let me know
Sorry, that diagram is no help. What's the 2-step part number? Is the 2-step wire 12v or ground? Is the wire off Jake's box 12v or ground? Have you talked to Jake about this problem?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

put another switch under the throttle pedal, if you are WOT, it cuts 2 step off like a toggle would? you wouldnt be able to launch WOT on the 2 step but close...thats the only quick way I can think of
Old 07-14-2011, 04:27 PM
Teching In

Ok did some research on Jakes Tbrake and this is what I found↓↓↓↓

Wiring the transbrake consists of tying into the B wire, typically yellow wire, that controls the B (2-3) shift solenoid on the control harness going to the transmission.
Go through a momentary switch to a good ground.
Activating the switch in the manual low position will engage the transbrake.

Based on the above instructions↑↑↑↑ is there a way to wire the 2step and Tbrake button to the B wire and have the ground wire constantly grounded???It sounds like the Tbrake is getting it's power from the B wire and when the Tbrakes ground wire is grounded then the Tbrake engages and when it looses ground it disengages.So if you can reverse the way the Tbrake is engaged by using a constant ground and wiring the 2Step and Tbrake button to the B wire I think it might fix your problem,,,maybe,,hopefully,,it's worth a shot I guess???????
Old 07-14-2011, 07:43 PM
TECH Junkie

OP still hasn't posted an MSD part number, all their diagrams are available online. Sounds like relay(s) might solve his problem...

Quick Reply: 2 step activating in 3rd and 4th help!