Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

patriot head problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default patriot head problem!!

i was just wondering who read that post by todd?? i am wanting to now how he blew up his motor or whatever!! i just got a new motor and new patriot heads and would like to know what to look out for and what i could do to prevent that!! i think everyone hear with patriot heads or want them DESERVES to know what the hell happend and let everyone read his post!! and stop covering **** up AGAIN!!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

They were 5.7 S2 heads so even though everyone including Patriot is saying the seats were installed by GM (true) and they didn't touch the seats, I'd like to hear how they did a 5 angle valve job and installed 2.02/1.57 valves without touching the seats. Magic I guess. My guess is the seat that failed was cut too thin, cracked with the heat of combustion and the valve slamming against it, and fell out. Only close inspection and measuring of the seats will probably prevent something like this from happening on any head that has had the seats ground or cut. Just my .02.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:51 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is what I got from the whole deal.Valve seat broke/dropped wrecking a piston/sleeve.Many thing's could of caused this from a bad seat,bad coolant flow around seat,Bad spring that dropped the valve,ect,ect.From what it looks like is that Patriot didn't come through with customer service from Todd's point of view..I say point of view because I do not know as a fact what really happened.All it comes down to is that Todd has a wrecked motor which sucks.
I personally would have no problem buying a set of Patriots today.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

please check your pms

Info will be posted in the STICKY thread at the top.

Read there for updates...

thanks,
Chris
Old 03-02-2004, 12:57 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
i was just wondering who read that post by todd?? i am wanting to now how he blew up his motor or whatever!! i just got a new motor and new patriot heads and would like to know what to look out for and what i could do to prevent that!! i think everyone hear with patriot heads or want them DESERVES to know what the hell happend and let everyone read his post!! and stop covering **** up AGAIN!!
My new PP LS6 heads are going on with in the next couple of weeks. Don't sweat it. My car is FLAWLESS and has 5100 miles on it. I wouldn't put them on if I didn't do some research on them! Look at all the bashing on PP it's the same fools time after time. Todd has a blown up motor, it's sad. All the pics look bad. But who's really at fault? I posted before what vendor will warranty GM installed valve seats, and ALL related expenses? Save your time... NO ONE!!! I personally don't think going on this forum trying to destroy someones business is the right way to go about it. Could have some legal issues there! Just a thought???? IF PP felt they were responsible for Todds engine, knowing he's a member of this board and the potential bad PR don't you think they would have taken care of it??? Look past the HORRIBLE pics and really think about it. If everyone was truly concerned about Todd, set up a engine disaster fund! I'm sure everything will be worked out. I can't wait to get my car done!!!
Old 03-02-2004, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

No matter what part you buy, nothing garantees 100% no failure. All manufacturers have had part failures at one point.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

I finished installing mine yesterday I made it past 50 miles but I guess anything could go wrong with aftermarket parts.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:15 PM
Launching!

We really do not know ALL the circumstances nor Terry Wilkes of Patriots side of the story. I have my new Patriot heads and i'm not at all concerned by Todds post. Now stop and think really hard who really benefits from this kinda post?
Old 03-02-2004, 01:53 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. Anyone that has made or are making performance parts will have a few failures. Can any or all of the head makers for our car honestly say they have not had 1 failure?

I to did research before I invested in the PP heads.

My PP 5.7 Stage II heads are being installed today

David
Old 03-02-2004, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave00C5
Now stop and think really hard who really benefits from this kinda post?
True!
I would'nt worry about it too much.I've had Patriot Performance heads on my car for a few thousand mile with no problems,and would not hesitate to run them again in the future.I'm sure the problem that caused the seat to drop has already been dealt with.Terry's a good guy and tries his best to stay on top of things.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

THE SKY IS FALLING!!! THE SKY IS FALLING!!
Seriously, one set fails, granted catastrophically, and the world is coming to an end, and ALL Patriot heads are ****? Let's wait until there is a pattern (don't hold your breath) like JPR heads (not a sponsor bashing thread!) before we condemn Terry and Hugh! ALL parts fail, ALL! I have never seen a "My stock motor blew, GM SUCKS!! BEAWRE GM!!!" thread. Modding cars costs, not just $$, and it's never fool-proof. If the seats were as GM installed, as Patriot states, I really fail to see how Terry is responsible for it?
Old 03-02-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

There are a lot of words being put in to my mouth...and a lot of people talking about my situation right now.

I dont doubt that Patriot makes some great heads.

I dont doubt that they can be a great bang for the buck.

I dont doubt they have done right by many people.

I explained my situation, very throughly.

I'll say again and again....I stated all of the facts. If anything I said was not factual, or Patriot disagreed with...they had their opportunity to post that in my thread. In the 4000 view, 185 reply post that I had...I believe Patriot replied approximately 5 or 6 times. None of those posts by them denied anything that I said in my post. I think that speaks volumes of how factual I was.

More than anything my issue was customer service...or lack thereof. The main reason I chose Patriot, is the reason that has me so ticked off
Old 03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Todd, I fully agree with you.It absolutely sucks that it happened to your car.You are also ticked that you did not get satisfaction from Patriot the way you should have.As for the seat it's a 50/50 between maybe patriot,maybe GM.Atleast Patriot is honering there Heads...
As for them responding on your other post I don't blame them for not posting.It was an absolute Bash Fest.They weren't going to fight with 50 board members.
Hope it all works out for you..
Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Todd sorry for your loss of a motor from the pour quality work done by PP.If you talk to Terry about the work they do he will have a new excuse everyday for a new problem everyday they are having.The business isnt new to the cylinder head world they have been doing it for along time...but continue to have several problems costing us money and time.

Terry could you do some of us a favor and check your work and machines before you send out a product you know will be used for a racing purpose?

Why did a 2 week old 6.0 head need a valve job for you guys?
If i wanted you guys to check it out before the job was done I could have SENT IT BACK TO YOU GUYS THE NEXT DAY AFTER IT JUST CAME FROM YOUR BUSINESS NEW AND READY TO BOLT ON ONLY TO HAVE THE CAR DOWN ANOTHER 2 WEEKS DUE TO YOUR PROFESSIONAL WORK AND AWSOME CUSTOMER SERVICE! :ROLLEYES:
I asked why the seat was cut at a 40 degree angle and the valve cut at 45...never got a reply...do i get one now?You could see light past the valve on 4 out of 8 cylinders.
I know why you did it.....its the way its done in the core rebuilder business.....not a good idea when used on a performance engine.

You told a customer today that your valve job was off and you found the problem to be the setting that was used....how long was this setting used?....if your enployees dont know how to work the machine......dont.

Over nighting springs and seals cant go on forever.

Hope the 4.6 guys dont have the same problem we are having.

On second thought..

Hope many of you get to read this before it is deleted for bashing....only its the truth and sometimes the truth hurts.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave00C5
We really do not know ALL the circumstances nor Terry Wilkes of Patriots side of the story. I have my new Patriot heads and i'm not at all concerned by Todds post. Now stop and think really hard who really benefits from this kinda post?
Conspiracy theory??? I dont think Todd is trying to screw with Patriots business so that he can sell more heads at DTD

I agree that parts breaking is "the cost of doing business".. i think the real complaint here is about Customer Service (or the lack of it).. I can't imagine Thunder or MTI handling the Customer Service part the same.. maybe thats why they charge more?

I do agree about the "bandwagoning" and flamfests but Todd presented his info in a mature and professional manner.

Hopefully all the parties will get this worked out and we can all get back to the hobby we enjoy

Oh and for what its worth.. I have never seen ANYTHING in the admin section that would lead me to belive that the admins on this site would try and "cover anything up".. They dont allow flamewars and most of the discussions in there revolve around trying to do the right thing for all parties and trying to be fair. If I thought the site was trying to cover things up and thus screw over the members I would quit today as a moderator. I stay here because I like how the site is run
Old 03-02-2004, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
My new PP LS6 heads are going on with in the next couple of weeks. Don't sweat it. My car is FLAWLESS and has 5100 miles on it. I wouldn't put them on if I didn't do some research on them! Look at all the bashing on PP it's the same fools time after time. Todd has a blown up motor, it's sad. All the pics look bad. But who's really at fault? I posted before what vendor will warranty GM installed valve seats, and ALL related expenses? Save your time... NO ONE!!! I personally don't think going on this forum trying to destroy someones business is the right way to go about it. Could have some legal issues there! Just a thought???? IF PP felt they were responsible for Todds engine, knowing he's a member of this board and the potential bad PR don't you think they would have taken care of it??? Look past the HORRIBLE pics and really think about it. If everyone was truly concerned about Todd, set up a engine disaster fund! I'm sure everything will be worked out. I can't wait to get my car done!!!
Those are some great points. I'm alittle ticked about all of this "vendor bashing" that goes on. It seems to be the same people too. The reason I chose Patriot is because of thier customer service and doing alot of research on them. I'm not one to just close my eyes and pick out a company to get stuff from. My PP 5.3's are great, they make excellent power and by my close inspection, they are made very well. I just wished I could have gotten the Viton seals installed already instead of getting them shipped to me. The labor is going to set me back for the bang for the buck so to speak. I'm not afraid to get another set of these heads and I would still recommend them to others IMO.
Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98sspullin'em
i think everyone hear with patriot heads or want them DESERVES to know what the hell happend and let everyone read his post!! and stop covering **** up AGAIN!!
We aren't "covering **** up" here. We have always allowed our customers to voice their factual information and complaints about sponsors. John and I have spent numerous hours behind the scenes in order to help members out with a situation involving sponsors. We do not have to do this, but we DO. Those threads were removed once they got out of hand and became flame/bash fests. All of the bandwagoning, immature, personal attacks, etc... can take the blame for that thread being removed. Todd started his thread and presented facts, and others saw an opportunity to talk **** and spew drama behind it. We do NOT allow that crap to continue on this site, no matter what the subject.

We are handling this situation via email. Results will be posted when a solution (or not) has been reached. Count on it. This thread serves no purpose, if you have an issue with the way we operate this site, feel free to email or PM the staff or Admins here.