Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Darth Vader....Your LSx Stroker is ready!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Havoc40
I sent you a PM regarding something else about a week ago, with contact info. Might be interested in a rear if still available. Wouldn't be right to post in here without saying, awesome build Tony . Hope to hear from you.
I have both still available....the 3.90 unit and the new 3.73.

I will PM you now and we can go from there.

Originally Posted by 2c5s
Nice build Tony. Looking forward to the final results. Maybe another video is in order. I'll see if Harrison is available....
Chris (or should I call you Indy.....LOL), that would be great....this video I wont likely get any traction till 4th gear!!!

We will catch up soon

-Tony
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Tony with your vac pump how many inches do you set it to pull, i have heard people going more or less than the normal 10-12"
Old 09-25-2011, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hey Tony! I'm also curious as to the paint brand and methods you used to paint the intake I saw some guy asked but it was in the middle of a sea of questions so I can't blame ya for missing it
Old 09-25-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

so what are the chances of you sending me one for free?

you know for testing? daily driving in bad traffic and occasional playing around with my
A4 SS.

i think i would rip my car in half with that engine

Last edited by Nick V.; 09-26-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 09-26-2011, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Tony got my heads the other day - time to button up the 427 build.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:42 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by O.N.
Hi Tony with your vac pump how many inches do you set it to pull, i have heard people going more or less than the normal 10-12"
Depends on how much street duty it sees....if its approaching 5K or more miles a year probably no more than 10" would be prudent. The wrist pins tend to be too dry if you crank it up more than that. Cruise around with more modest crankcase vacuum and crank it up at the track a little for a few extra ponies.....that's what I planned on doing at least.

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Hey Tony! I'm also curious as to the paint brand and methods you used to paint the intake I saw some guy asked but it was in the middle of a sea of questions so I can't blame ya for missing it
I couldn't find a shade of black that looked natural enough for my taste.....ultimately I ended up using a flat black base and sprinkled a little satin black on top to give it a little more pop.....I was wanting it to look like a natural black plastic....not like a painted black plastic.....LOL

Then it was the artist brush and some (careful) hand painting of all the letters.....I just used some silver and red enamel that I purchased at Home Depot. Took my time.....the lettering required two coats to look the best. Its time consuming but I love how the intake came out.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 09-28-2011, 08:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Depends on how much street duty it sees....if its approaching 5K or more miles a year probably no more than 10" would be prudent. The wrist pins tend to be too dry if you crank it up more than that. Cruise around with more modest crankcase vacuum and crank it up at the track a little for a few extra ponies.....that's what I planned on doing at least.
i have seen mine pull 20" free revving to 4000rpm when i was installing would you go this high at the track?
thanks for getting back to me to.

Also did you port the FAST 102 manifold on this one, was it the ls7 style how much do you remove from the ls7 style compare to other ones you have done.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:53 PM
Flow Wizard

i have seen mine pull 20" free revving to 4000rpm when i was installing would you go this high at the track?
thanks for getting back to me to.

Also did you port the FAST 102 manifold on this one, was it the ls7 style how much do you remove from the ls7 style compare to other ones you have done.
Sounds like your going to have to back off the vac pump some....that much vacuum at that RPM could mean alot more at higher engine speeds assuming your shortblock seals up fairly well....the more leak your short has the less vacuum you will see but I wouldn't go much higher than 12-14" in a wet sump engine....your asking for trouble IMO.

Regarding whether I ported the manifold on my 730+ cathedral headed engine the answer would be Y-E-S.....LOL

When I go back to the dyno in a few weeks Im trying out an all new intake design that I have a 100 plus hours invested in easily.....no joke....and a retarded amount of flowbench time as well. Thats why the re-dyno of this engine has been delayed so long. Im calling it my FrankenFast (for obvious reasons!).....it probably has one or two pounds of epoxy in it. I plan on weighing it when I'm done.

The good news....I anticipate it bumping the power output over my already proven standard ported 102....the bad news is unless your rolling like Charlie Sheen you couldn't offer me enough money to do another. Its just mad hours in two part epoxy mixing, prep, and application....then all the shaping to follow and re-epoxy

Don't know whether it will be worth 5 more ponies or 20 more.....but I'm hoping for closer to the latter....don't forget any gains seen will be over and above a standard heavily ported 102 that already helped produce retarded results with this combination....the power and torque this engine already produced shows just how efficient the "baseline" was.

The FrankenFast is more of a prototype redesign than a ported FAST intake....I added more material than I removed in this latest round of manifold madness. The flowbench likes it....usually that means the dyno will as well.....guess we will see what happens. Of course there are no guarantees but I'm feeling pretty good or I wouldn't have invested the time that I did. I will be bummed out if its only like 5 more HP but without pushing the envelope and trying some radical things occasionally you never move forward. On paper the airflow gains I have seen indicate it could be a sizable increase and my baseline was the actual manifold I tested this engine with six or so weeks ago.

There is some additional good news though....some of what I learned in this latest round of heavy R&D/flowbench time can be applied to my "standard" very neat and very thorough port job and the last few intakes I shipped had the additional work incorporated so you guys benefit from the mad time I have invested as well. I'm not charging anything additional....just including the extra work (and CFM gains) as a perk of doing business with me.

Catch you guys later....

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 862 Likes on 613 Posts

Winning!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:09 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Winning!
YES!!

We are bi-winning with the new wave of intense "Mamofold" R&D!

Good one Jay....has to be one of the best Sheen-isms from when he was completely out of his mind!

-Tony

Last edited by Tony Mamo @ AFR; 09-30-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:38 AM
Flow Wizard

Default Update on "Vader"

Wanted to keep you guys in the loop (I hate threads your waiting on results that just seem to vanish forever!).

I had planned on making the dyno late last week and devoted the prior week and some change to getting the engine ready for the test. As I do with all the engines I build and take to the dyno I performed a cold leakdown test on the engine just after installing and torquing down the cylinder heads. This confirms (hopefully) a modest amount on blowby past the rings and if I did my job right zero leak past either of the two valves in each cylinder.

I was on a roll with a 5% leak on every hole till I rolled up to the very last cylinder in the firing order (#3) and witnessed a 15% leak and a notable louder hiss into the crank case. Tell me it aint so....double checked it with the exact same results and then it dawns on me that #3 is the hole I salvaged and cleaned up the piston with the pinched ringland. There was some minor scoring on the lower part of the land and nothing excessive in regards to clearance when I was finished dressing it by hand, but at the end of the day its hard to argue with the leakdown gauge. That piston just wasn't as happy as a new piston with a perfectly flat machined ring land. Had I known I was going to invest the better part of a month in the intake work I would have ordered a new piston to begin with just to be on the safe side!

Long story short I have a new custom piston on order and in six to eight weeks I will be back on the dyno to complete the testing I never got to finish the last time, in addition to testing the heavily epoxied and reconstructed FAST (a few close friends have nicknamed it the "Mamofold" ). If its only worth like 3-5 HP over my standard port job I might set it on fire and put the video on You Tube.....LOL I keep forgetting to weigh it....has to be a pound of epoxy in this thing with the other pound I ground off shaping the pound that remained!

Anyway, that's about it guys....like I said numerous times in the past.....it aint all glory....it can be a rocky road to try and set the bar a little bit higher.

Will keep you posted...I think I may start a fresh thread when I post the second wave of results. Fingers crossed but due to the Holidays and all the trade shows, this round of testing may be postponed till early January unfortunately....but I suspect (hope!) it will have been worth the wait.

Cheers,
Tony
Old 10-19-2011, 07:19 AM
On The Tree

Great project Tony !

I'm so excited to see the final results of your engine and I'm almost sure that you will hit 650 rwhp and 600 rwtq with this engine in your C5.

Obviously, you are a big fan of LSL lobes (you used them in Jeremy's 417ci engine and you are using them again on the intake of the cam you spec'd for this engine). However, if I were to spec a cam for this engine, I'd go for a 247 LSL / 251 LSL 113 LSA +1. This will improve the DCR but maybe will affect the peak hp number a little bit. I'm not a cam expert but I'm trying to find a way to improve your DCR (other than increasing SCR of course !)

Last edited by Samer; 10-19-2011 at 07:34 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tony,

I was poking around in another thread, and read this post:

Originally Posted by Steve - Race Eng
Darton LS liners, both wet MID and dry Seal Tight are 5.800" long on the piston thrust sides and support the skirts fully at BDC unlike the factory LS7 sleeves.

They will handle strokes to 4.25" for racing use. I recommend sticking with a 4.125" stroke for long term street use to get a bit more skirt length on the pistons. I have done many dry and wet sleeved blocks built to 454" 4.185" bore, 4.125" stroke. I am working on a Darton dry sleeved block being built to 468" 4.185" x 4.25" for Tony Mamo for one of his test pieces.

For nitrous or boost, 4" is the recommended max. stroke. That stroke length allows sufficient piston compression height to get the rings far enough down from the top surface of the piston.

To avoid any confusion, ERL dry liners are not the same as the Darton Seal Tight dry liners.

Steve
Dare I ask?
Old 10-19-2011, 08:42 AM
10 Second Club

That sucks. At least you found it now, good job!!

BTW, mine is running. Waiting on a dyno window to open up.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Nice work taking your time and doing it right tony.

Now lets see some pics of the internals of the manifold porting and epoxy.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

what engine bearings are you using?
Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Flow Wizard

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Tony,

I was poking around in another thread, and read this post:

Dare I ask?
NO.....LOL

I shelved the project I initially ordered that block for but I am holding on to it for a potential customer build or if I decide to take that initial idea off the shelf again! Good catch btw Steve!!

Originally Posted by 2c5s
That sucks. At least you found it now, good job!!

BTW, mine is running. Waiting on a dyno window to open up.
Yes...I agree....and its alot easier to install a new slug in it now when everything is clean and fresh. Keep me posted on your results!

Originally Posted by GNIUS
what engine bearings are you using?
Clevite "H" bearings.....I haven't used anything else in literally 20 years

Nice work taking your time and doing it right tony.

Now lets see some pics of the internals of the manifold porting and epoxy.
I will get right on that PM and include details of the JFK assassination!

Guess it never hurts to ask right!

Old 10-20-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR

I will get right on that PM and include details of the JFK assassination!

Guess it never hurts to ask right!

Damn you tony im in Australia i need to know what to do to my manifold...lol
obviously i have some idea but i'd love to see/hear/know yours. Im no comp to you and im not a shop i just love my car and want the most from it 2hp there 3 hp here...lol you know how it goes.

Im going to be running next saturday first time out on full slicks. i'll send you a link after i video etc.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

i just sub'd to this thread, dont create a new one, this helped me pass at least an hour of my day so thanks, keep up the good work.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn you tony im in Australia i need to know what to do to my manifold...lol
obviously i have some idea but i'd love to see/hear/know yours. Im no comp to you and im not a shop i just love my car and want the most from it 2hp there 3 hp here...lol you know how it goes.
Come on, man... You can't be serious... This is a personal project that he has dedicated an incredible amount of time and effort into, and the culmination of YEARS worth of work on these manifolds, and you seriously feel entitled to an inside scoop???

That just blows me away.. "obviously" you..."have some idea".. Then why don't you just buy a tub of epoxy, and rent some time on a flowbench and do your own?

Here's what you should do, feel grateful for the massive amount of FREE, invaluable information he has already posted on this forum, and if you like what you see, get that credit card out and do some business with the man!!! I don't mean to be offensive, and I apologize if I have offended you. Just be reasonable!

Quick Reply: Darth Vader....Your LSx Stroker is ready!!