Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

00 WS6 Overheated, what damage to look for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default 00 WS6 Overheated, what damage to look for?

Ok, so long story short, my wife was out driving her 2000 WS6, and the lower radiator hose ended up popping.. It started running like crap, and she saw the temp gauge, so she immedialty stopped, let it cool some, and limped it home (less than 2 miles)

I pulled the codes, and it showed a P1258, so it saw temps of around 268 (bad, i know) so that explains why it ran bad.

Im trying to avoid tearing it down, so I wanted to see what i should look for. The car starts up, and idles with no hesitation whatsoever, and the oil pressure is nice and high, as it should be. No knocks, or any other unusual noises either.

Im about to change the oil, and check the plugs, but what else can i look for? There is no sign of water in the oil, or oil in the water that ive seen. The oil is still perfectly clean (about 200 miles since changed, and engine assembled)

It also has not been driven since being overheated.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:24 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its probably fine, go drive it. Be sure its full of coolant. It ran bad be cause it was running in protection mode.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like everytthing is good..
Old 08-07-2011, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If it cooled naturally, no cold water added before cooled down, it's probably OK. Sometimes ring lands like to chip when overheated &/or pre-detonation during over heat. If you end up noticing a miss or if it seems down on power, can do a leak down test in order to check for a leaking ring land. Could also, just cut open the oil filter & look for chips from ring land (& can look on oil drain plug).

What's noted is worst case & if it cooled down naturally, is most likely not an issue.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

It cooled naturally, and it was driven a very short distance later that day with no running issues whatsoever. I topped off the coolant, got it to temp, topped it off, let it cool, topped it off, then took if for a drive, and the car runs well, doesnt feel down on power. It still does need a tune, so once thats done well find out how well it really runs.

I also just pulled all the plugs, and there was no aluminum specs, or any sign of damage to them. They were tannish brown, which Im fine with, considering the tune needs some updating for the new heads/cam. Just wanted to make sure there was no issue with the engine before i took it to the tuner.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Teching In

Question

I just saw this thread and anyways I had a similar overheating situation, bad thermostat , after replacing it every thing seemed fine, runs good the oil and water all look good. But after starting it and letting it run and get up to temp,I noticed oil leaking all over the area around the oil filter and the filter was about a half turn loose so I tightened it up and cleaned off the oil and started it up again and drove it around a few miles and when I parked it I noticed another small puddle of oil in the same area, any ideas ? Could it overheating caused the filter gasket to go bad and the filter to become lose? I didn't see any oil higher up by the heads or any where just on the filter and above it on all sides like maybe it sprayed out from the top of the filter or something ?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

I've overheated mine before on the highway. Its a scary feeling when your car goes into lump mode. Feeling like you blown somthing up. I pulled over and had it towed home. Got it all back together. Month later I had it on the dyno and it made great power. So I don't think I hurt anything.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Im trying to avoid tearing it down, so I wanted to see what i should look for. The car starts up, and idles with no hesitation whatsoever, and the oil pressure is nice and high, as it should be. No knocks, or any other unusual noises either.
Sounds like its fine. A tear down will not be necessary, and normally shouldn't from just one overheating session.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ca_Rick
I just saw this thread and anyways I had a similar overheating situation, bad thermostat , after replacing it every thing seemed fine, runs good the oil and water all look good. But after starting it and letting it run and get up to temp,I noticed oil leaking all over the area around the oil filter and the filter was about a half turn loose so I tightened it up and cleaned off the oil and started it up again and drove it around a few miles and when I parked it I noticed another small puddle of oil in the same area, any ideas ? Could it overheating caused the filter gasket to go bad and the filter to become lose? I didn't see any oil higher up by the heads or any where just on the filter and above it on all sides like maybe it sprayed out from the top of the filter or something ?
How tight do you install the filter? I dont think overheating would cause anything to happen with the oil filter, since a majority of the head it up in the head/cylinder area.

Originally Posted by TransAmMarathon
Sounds like its fine. A tear down will not be necessary, and normally shouldn't from just one overheating session.
Thanks for the input. I posted this up months ago, and the car has been running strong ever since. Made 411/390 to the tires with stock 799s/EPS 227/230.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Yea I think you are cool, when they developed the engines they ran them hard in all kinds of conditions (overheated, under heated, etc) I was suprised to find out that for durability they ran ls1s on dynos for 30 days straight at full throttle...and none of them blew up (talk about durability!) these are tough engines
Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Question

Originally Posted by NVR_SPDS
How tight do you install the filter? I dont think overheating would cause anything to happen with the oil filter, since a majority of the head it up in the head/cylinder area.
The filter is hand tight. I got under there yesterday and cleaned all the oil off everything and then went for a little drive. When I got home I got back under there and there's a little oil running down the backside of the filter and kinda looks like all around the oil pan gasket there's some oil residue, heavier in some spots than others, and also a little drip off the rear of the pan. I'm thinking it might be time to change the pan gasket and of course the filter.

Quick Reply: 00 WS6 Overheated, what damage to look for?