Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install questions and concerns

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 09:00 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install questions and concerns

I have 01 Z bone stock, thinking about the GM Hot Cam or equivelent. My car is an automatic, I criuse at 1800 rpm at 70mph. I do not want to change anything else right now other than the cam!
Questions; is this cam choice too big in duration for an auto trans car?
Also, stronger pushrods have been suggested for this install, anyone have problems with puchrods failure, and will the stock springs be OK or go with the Hot Cam Kit with springs, Im not going to race the car, may lean on it from time to time, Just honestly looking for a few more ponys, cool sound and maybe pick up some better mileage when driving normaly.
Another concern is the computor and tuning, Will I need to change any settings? or just install cam and go? Love to hear from someone that has done this install and learn about the results!
Thanks
Tim
Tampa
Old 10-01-2011, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You will need upgraded valve springs and hardened pushrods. An LS2 timing chains is also an inexpensive companion upgrade.

I will defer to others on whether a GM hot cam triggers the need for a change in stall.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

We did a GM Hotcam on a friends 99 A4 Z28 car a couple years ago. We did the cam only without replacing valve springs, pushrods, no tune or anything else.

Many people will suggest pushrods, valve springs, stall etc. That is the best way to do it. But my friend is cheap and found the Hotcam used and we just slapped it in. It does run stronger with the cam only and sound good. His only other mods is a lid and catback. Supporting mods would help it even more but it's his daily driver and the slight bump in power was enough for him.

It's been about 20,000 miles since we did the swap and it's still running strong.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM
Teching In

That what I like to hear, Did your friend experience any better fuel economy, and does he have an automatic. I c.agree springs and stiffer push rods would be nice, to prevent value float etc. but im not going to beat on it much, may never see over 5000rpm. Coil bind is the only thing that may be a problem, I will have to look further, anyone know the max lift stock springs can go?

thank
Tim
Tampa
Old 10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes his car is an automatic. I forgot to mention he had about 80,000 miles when we did the swap. I think the car just turned over 100,000 recently. I'm not sure about his fuel economy but I never hear him complain about it. Like I said he daily drives it and does give it a good beating from time to time with no problems yet. This is on old stock pushrods and valve springs so they hold up better than expected on his car anyways. I forget the specs but the lift on the Hotcam isn't that much so I don't think coil bind would be an issue.

I've also seen pushrods bends on stock motors so anything is possible.
Old 10-01-2011, 09:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

12499224 02+ LS6 valve spring kit is $64 list price. It is stupid to not to at least upgrade to those springs. The hot cam does not like the stock A4 550 rpm in gear idle speed and a stock converter.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
12499224 02+ LS6 valve spring kit is $64 list price. It is stupid to not to at least upgrade to those springs. The hot cam does not like the stock A4 550 rpm in gear idle speed and a stock converter.
I understand, but if you go with the stiffer springs, then you need the stronger pushrods as a result.

Tim
Tampa
Old 10-02-2011, 08:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

My car has a hotcam kit with the ls6 springs and stock pushrods and done fine with a unknow amount of miles. I drag race the car often and rev it to 7 k if need be.