Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pushrod to Head Hole Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Pushrod to Head Hole Clearance

I'm finally getting my Z06 back together. Installed PAC 1518 valve springs, Comp Cams trunion/bearing kit and some 11/32" OD Manton pushrods.

After installing the pushrods and rocker arms, noticed the clearance between the pushrod and the hole in the head on Cyl #1 intake is pretty tight ... more so than all the others. I'd say the tightest spot between the pushrod and hole is maybe only about 0.010 ~ 0.015", but doesn't look like it's rubbing from what I can see. Turned the engine over and can't see any pushrods rubbing anywhere.

I tried loosening are re-tightening Cyl #1 intake rocker arm, but of course it want's to seat back to it's natural spot based on the rocker trunnion and bolt hole location ... can't really change where these guys want to sit when tight. Maybe the hole in Comp Cam trunnion is off a bit, or maybe the hole in the head is off a bit .... don't know for sure. The clearance might have tight in the same spot with the stock setup too - but the stock pushrods are smaller in dia, so wouldn't matter.

Anyway ... is 0.010" enough pushrod clearance? These things are super stiff, so don't expect any bowing that would cause them to flex and rub.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-02-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Forgot to add ... I checked the lifter pre-load by the zero lash & number of turns on the rocker bolt, and basically got 1-1/4 turns to 22 ft-lbs. Seems about perfect putting pre-load at around 0.060"
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why do you need such a big pushrod? if you're hell bent on running them just enlarge the holes a little bit.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by msydow
why do you need such a big pushrod? if you're hell bent on running them just enlarge the holes a little bit.
Can't ... heads are on the car and I'm not going to grind on them there. Before I ordered these pushrods, everyone said they would fit, which they do, but it's just one hole that seems a little tight.

I wanted to upgrade the pushrods while in the motor, so decided to go for the best I could get and not mess around. They are only 1/32" (0.031") larger in dia or 0.015" larger in radius. Stock pushrods are 5/16" dia. Price was about the same regardless.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 10-02-2011 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2011, 10:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by msydow
Depends on what side of the fence you are. A 5/16 pushrod, aggressive cam lobe and high spring rate could lead to some slight pushrod deflection. A 11/32 pushrod is about 50% stiffer then a 5/16. It is some good insurance on good valve control and will only expand the life of your springs.

I will be ordering some Manton 11/32 pushrods when I get my engine back together also. I wish my new AFR 230v2 heads would accept 3/8.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:19 PM
TECH Regular

Anyone have a input on the original question? Is 0.010" ~ 0.015" clearance between the pushrod and head hole OK? I'm assuming so if there is no contact while turning over the engine. Vettnuts?, any one else have an input?
Old 10-03-2011, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

From Manton's website-

"Do not allow over clearancing for the pushrod. This may cause the pushrod to move around or deflect more than needed. Clearance of .010 at the closest point, wherever that may be during its complete cycle is sufficient. The cylinder head and engine block can often be utilized like a big guide plate and dampening device, which stabilizes the pushrod. Just make sure that there is no interference problems when turning the engine over on the engine stand."
Old 10-03-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Regular

Hey Darkman ... thanks for that info from Manton's website. Guess I never thought of checking there. Looks like I'm AOK.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:53 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Aslong as they don't rub thru the lift cycle you are ok. But eventually down the road, don't be surprised if you seen where they have touched.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Darkman
From Manton's website-

"Do not allow over clearancing for the pushrod. This may cause the pushrod to move around or deflect more than needed. Clearance of .010 at the closest point, wherever that may be during its complete cycle is sufficient. The cylinder head and engine block can often be utilized like a big guide plate and dampening device, which stabilizes the pushrod. Just make sure that there is no interference problems when turning the engine over on the engine stand."
Does that explanation bother you as much as it does me? They are saying to use the head as a rubbing block??? Are their pushrods that bad? You sure don't see anyone else claiming that. If you use guideplates, they rub on the hardened part of the pushrod. This wouldn't be...unless the whole pushrod is hardened...which I seriously doubt. This just doesn't seem right to me.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
Does that explanation bother you as much as it does me? They are saying to use the head as a rubbing block??? Are their pushrods that bad? You sure don't see anyone else claiming that. If you use guideplates, they rub on the hardened part of the pushrod. This wouldn't be...unless the whole pushrod is hardened...which I seriously doubt. This just doesn't seem right to me.
Here's a link to their catalog, which has all the technical info on their pushrods:

http://www.mantonpushrods.com/Images/Manton_Catalog.pdf
Old 10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OldCobraGuy
The pushrod hole "acts" like a guide, so YES in some cases I will/may rub.

Quick Reply: Pushrod to Head Hole Clearance