Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need some advice.

Ok, i have a 99 trans am with 79k. the oil pump went out and it ran for a min or less with no oil pressure. replaced the oil pump along woth the water pump and everything was fine for a couple days. started it up and i heard a weird ticking/screaching sound. took it to a GM certifed shop and they say its the lifters.. i've never heard lifters sound like that but anyways, they kept it for a day and said all the did was pour a bottle of something in there and it was quiet as new. i thought everything was good until yesterday. on my way home from work i decided to open it up a little and the dang thing started ticking like craaazy. i drove it back out to the shop and they said i coulve scarred a cam bearing. what should i do?
Old 02-04-2012, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you originally had low oil pressure, then yes you could have got a few lifters stuck since they were dry and they could have turned slightly in the lifter bore..

who knows really?, its all speculation unless you pull your valve covers and take a look..

but since its ticking its obviously your valvetrain making noise, (pushrods, lifters, rockers)
and since they are all connected its usually a combo of all 3.

spend and hour and pop your valve covers off and look at your lifter trays and lifters... make sure they are straight and not crooked..

if they are, then you should take the heads off. because if the lifter is compromised then the camshaft could be as well.. dont drive it until you fix it..

and poring a liquid in to quiet it down won't work, you have valvetrain fricktion problems..

fix it now before you ruin the engine.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

You might have damaged the oil pump o-ring when you put the new oil pump on. If its quiet on cold start up,but makes noise after a few minits of running,i would bet the o-ring got pinched.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mine was ticking like crazy and had ran great the week before opened her up and it started ticking like crazy. Limped it home and ut died. Pull water pump off and the cam had backed out about an inch and the whole motor siezdd up.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Staging Lane

shew, idk. the oil pressure was perfect then one evening i got in it and the gauge didnt move, changed the oil pump and problem was solved. the mechanic said i might've scarred a cam bearing. so idk. and it does it when its cold and warm.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:09 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Burken01
If you originally had low oil pressure, then yes you could have got a few lifters stuck since they were dry and they could have turned slightly in the lifter bore..

who knows really?, its all speculation unless you pull your valve covers and take a look..

but since its ticking its obviously your valvetrain making noise, (pushrods, lifters, rockers)
and since they are all connected its usually a combo of all 3.

spend and hour and pop your valve covers off and look at your lifter trays and lifters... make sure they are straight and not crooked..

if they are, then you should take the heads off. because if the lifter is compromised then the camshaft could be as well.. dont drive it until you fix it..

and poring a liquid in to quiet it down won't work, you have valvetrain fricktion problems..

fix it now before you ruin the engine.
You have to pull the heads to do this.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Staging Lane

So with how I read this the first thing that fails with low oil pressure is the lifters? I guess it makes sense as they are riding on an oil film inside the bore and without oil it wouldn't take long for them to seize up.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by butler
You have to pull the heads to do this.
haha thats what I meant, I hate writing post on my iphone.. PITA
Old 02-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

well, i never had low oil pressure. i just had NO oil pressure for a minute.