2004 GTO (almost 100k miles on it)
Cam: Comp 54-444-11 (224/230 .581, .592, 114) XER273HR-14
Heads: PRC Stage 2.5 LS6 CNC Ported Heads milled for 11:1
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4-prc-s...ted-heads.aspx

Headers: Pacesetters 1.75", no cats
3200 RPM Converter
Cold Air
Tuned

About 4 months ago I had a new set of lifters put in because of a bad ticking noise. Everything was find and dandy until about a month ago and the noise is back.

Instead of paying for another set of lifters to be put in, I was thinking of either a full rebuild or having a LS2 402 stroker shortblock put in.

I would like to use my heads and would probably go with a different CAM and restall the converter (I'd rather go smaller since I do a lot of start/stop driving)

I'm at around 375rwhp and 352tq thru my A4. I'd like to see something well into the 400's and a nice increase in torque. The car is a daily driver and I want something fun, nice seat of the pants, omg feel.

Thoughts on a stroker? What cam/stall speed would go well with it? Or just rebuild the LS1 that's in it? If I go with the stroker, I'd have to try to get rid of the LS1 and I don't have a place to store it while trying to sell it.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote stroker, however a 402 is going to want every bit of that size cam or bigger. Overall it's going to depend what your plans are with the car to what you do.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

and how much money you want to spend
Old 02-21-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a very small can for s stroker, but since I have one I vote for the stroker too....lots of money though.

Just curious, what's your location?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mark21742
That is a very small can for s stroker, but since I have one I vote for the stroker too....lots of money though.

Just curious, what's your location?
I'm out north of Ft Worth, in Saginaw. I'm really thinking about saying screw it and pick up a new SRT8 Challenger.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Randell
I'm out north of Ft Worth, in Saginaw. I'm really thinking about saying screw it and pick up a new SRT8 Challenger.
SRT8? BITE YOUR TOUNGE LOL...no, but seriously if you do get an SRT8 you need to spend the money on a tune as soon as you get it....Chrysler has the computers in them so detuned its rediculious. One of my friends had some issues with his so te dealer reflashed his computer and just doing that made a world of a difference.

If it makes you feel any better, I cammed my motor and after about 3 weeks of having it back on the road I had a cold air intake on my goat that had the filter right behind the drivers fog light...one morning heading to work after a long hard rain i hit a huge puddle of water, sucked a bunch of water into the intake, hydrolocked the engine and sent number 7 rod out the side of the block and pan.
Picked up a stroker short block and (yes, I know don't do this) used some RTV on the oil pan when assembling it....after a few weeks I lost oil pressure, trashed a few bearings and had to tear it down again...after a few more weeks my cheap apparently non heat treated cam core wore down in several spots and took out a few lifters....then after a few more weeks I lost oil pressure again. This time I found a nice size gob of RTV pressed up against the barbell in the back of the block even though I thought I cleaned all the oil passages out...

Also gone through 3 auto trannies too....its a pain in the *** and the wallet, but now I have a fully built race preped 408 in the car and a manual 3 speed.....all I can say is it is a BEAST 12.5:1 compression, 255/263 .624/.624 115lsa cam and lots of other goodies...and all i can tell you is hearing the 408 spinning up past 8,000 rpms through 3" dual exhaust as you shift into the next gear makes it ALL worth the trouble, time and money
Old 02-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Teching In

What are the extra expenses for a stroker? It sounds like a new CAM is in order, but how about the heads I have listed?
Old 02-23-2012, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

The heads you picked would work. Right now I'm still running my factory 241s, ported and milled down to 57cc chambers and they work very good on mine....one day I'd like to pickup a set of Mast heads.

Big thing that people overlook not just on strokers, but all builds is the machine shopping bill to get everything done right. You should get the block checked by a professional.

I had mine align bored, bored, honed, hot tanked and cleaned, rotating assy lightened and balanced, pistons/ rods/ rings assembled, short block put together and had every clearance speced out.

I tore the heads down and ported the hell out of them, then sent them to the machine shop to be milled, get a valve job and assembled.

Make sure you pick a shop that has a great reputation!

Figure you budget, then save up $2,000-3,000 dollars for all the dumb little things you didn't think of....what ever is left it the budget afterwards drive the finished car to the strip club and have a hell of a good night
Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
Teching In

Definately going to go the stroker. I need CAM/stall recommendations or a good sponsor to chat up (custom grid maybe?).

I don't know if it's possible or how much of a loss it would be, but I would really like to move from the 3200 stall back down something smaller.

This is a daily driver, *** hauler, not a 1/4 mile redline runner. I'd like to really up the torque and throttle response.

I'll be going to chat with the place that'll be doing the work, but I like to go in armed with information so I don't get talked into anything.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

GET A CUSTOM SPEC'D CAM. The cam you have now is way small for a 402, even for a daily driver IMO. The heads you have will work awesome with a 402 stroker and the torque will be insane compared to what you have now. Even with a daily drivable cam you can get at least 450whp I bet. Stroked LS2's are freaking beasts.
Good luck!