Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pump and Timing Chain Clearance Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil Pump and Timing Chain Clearance Issue

I'm almost embarrassed to ask the question because there are so many threads on this.. but, have the Melling oil pumps (10296) been modified from the factory at all to clear a double roller? Some have said the new versions have been tweaked to help with the fitment. I know they are notorious for hitting the cover when they are shimmed. I am trying to purchase my cam and all the supporting upgrades but I am stuck on the oil pump and timing chain. I really want the melling pump and SDPC rollmaster double but don't want to have to spend a bunch of time to work everything over and risk messing something up trying to get it to all fit. I'm about to just say screw it and get the slp pump and chain at the higher cost just because they are modified to work together without shims. Also, I would get the TSP ported LS6 pump and LS2 timing chain but it costs the same, if not more, than the slp combo..

Can someone please advise? Thanks in advance!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My rollmaster double came with shims for the oil pump and it clears the timing cover just fine. The ls2 chain is alot more heavy duty than the stock ls1. I just did a meling pump and ls2 chain on my 5.3L, very nice components. If your not looking to make crazy power I would save the money and get a $60 ls2 chain that will fit your stock gears.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:45 PM
Teching In

I have all the bolt-ons minus a pulley and my cam is going to be 230/236 .612/.604 so im not looking to make any more than 400 rwhp. I have thought about getting just the chain but i figured why not just spend the little extra $$ to get the gears too. I would hate to tear it apart and see worn gears without replacements on hand. My engine has 135K miles on it BTW..
Old 03-27-2012, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My 5.3L that got a ls2 chain had 221,xxx on the clock and the gears were perfect, food for thought.
If you do go with the double roller assemble everything with the shims and put the timing cover, pull all the plugs and roll the engine over several times and listen for and rubbing. After rolling the engine several times, just to make sure I pulled my timing cover back off to inspect for contact.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Okay thanks, good to know. I might do that. I plan on ordering everything tonight, so ttt!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:51 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going the LS2 chain route as well. my 5.3 has 120K on it and gears look perfect!

Last edited by JNJchev77; 03-28-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:45 PM
Launching!

Default Slp

Originally Posted by Aggie_Ls1
Okay thanks, good to know. I might do that. I plan on ordering everything tonight, so ttt!
When i did my build i used the SLP set with pump and chain very easy install the slp pums and double chain are machined together so you dont have to use spacers and fit perfect with no modification to cover
Old 03-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TransamGCS
When i did my build i used the SLP set with pump and chain very easy install the slp pums and double chain are machined together so you dont have to use spacers and fit perfect with no modification to cover
It's hard to go with something other than this knowing that it will fit without any problems. I found out today that the SLP chain is a JP double roller, and knowing that the SLP oil pump is a Melling, it's like i would be paying $65 so I don't have to grind the cover..
Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You want the (10295) melling pump high pressure not the high volume (10296) pump.

If you want I can give you a link that has them for under $100.00

Quick Reply: Oil Pump and Timing Chain Clearance Issue