Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

blue smoke oil burning video inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default blue smoke oil burning video inside

here is my video of my car burning oil. i ran a compression test and all cylinders checked out good, all right around 180-185 psi. Im guessing my problem is valve seals. Notice in the video its the driver side header only. i pulled the plugs and number six had wet oil on it. what are your guys thoughts and any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I vote valve seals. easy fix, if you wanted to be backyard about it you could just change the valve seals on that one cylinder but i would recommend changing them all. if you already ran a compression and leak down test and they both came out good then there really isn't anywhere else to look
Old 03-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I vote valve stem seals, easy way to check would be pull intake manifold (30 minutes) take flashlight and look into the intake runners. You'll see oil pooled on top of valves as it ran down the valve stem.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I bought brand new valve seals. I also am going to do a leak down hopefully tomorrow
Old 03-30-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

leak down wont tell you if the seals are shot... both valves are closed during a leak down test. A leak down test will however eliminate rings as a culprit and therefore only leave valve seals. If you bought the new seals and have a LS specific spring compressor then just pop off a valve cover and change the seals. I bet you could do that faster than you could a leak down test. that's what i would do sense you already have the seals
Old 03-30-2012, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 3rdCoastPowerSports
leak down wont tell you if the seals are shot... both valves are closed during a leak down test. A leak down test will however eliminate rings as a culprit and therefore only leave valve seals. If you bought the new seals and have a LS specific spring compressor then just pop off a valve cover and change the seals. I bet you could do that faster than you could a leak down test. that's what i would do sense you already have the seals
Yeah that's a good point. I think that's what I'm going to do. I changed the seals when I did the cam last year but I believe a few came unseated. I'm going to try the fel pro seals

Quick Reply: blue smoke oil burning video inside