Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

looking for an shop that will do a cam install and i can assist with

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for an shop that will do a cam install and i can assist with

I wasnt sure where to post this so here goes. I have C5 corvette, im looking for a shop that is KNOWLEDGEABLE with LSmotors, and would assist in doing a cam install on my vette. I know that the car will need a retune after the install so that will need to be done as well. I can provide all the parts, and im willing to help do the work, i just dont want to tackle this major of a job on my own and have something go wrong. If you know of a place please let me know. Thanks!
Old 04-14-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Usually shops/trades charge double when the owner wants to get involved. lol
Old 04-14-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I would recomend doing the install yourself, it's not that bad of a install. plus you'll save alot of money. I think I got a quote of $2,000 dollars for a cam install back before i was wrenching on my own car, 90% of it was labor..

Also shops usually don't let you help because what if you get hurt on their property..

You might want to find someone locally in your area that has done a cam swap before and pay him (beer/food) to help you.. that way you can watch and learn in your own driveway..
Old 04-14-2012, 10:08 PM
12 Second Club

^^^^ditto. No shops gonna let you help to insurance reasons and cause they don't want to risk getting sued. Find a local member to help out that's knowledgeable.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

www.ls1howto.com

I also believe there is a video around if you search.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:55 PM

thanks for the info guys, yea tried searchin..still not finding much as far as videos go. Anyone have any info on this as far as shops, or does anyone do this type of work on the side?...tuning as well. I was quoted 3 grand from a shop...but thats everything. Cam, pushrods, springs, oil pump, underdrive, belts, timing chain, and a full tune. I emailed the guy....like 5 times...didnt get a reply back yet as far as if he was interested in doing the work.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the others have said, no reputable shop is going to let you work along side of them.

Do you have any buddies or a corvette club around you that you can ask around. I'm sure many guys would be willing to help you along while making a few bucks on the side and showing you how to do the job.

I would do it for you if you lived close, but I only wrench on my stuff on the weekends and take my time doing it.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

ya like everyones saying i run a shop in pawtucket RI and have had customers ask if they can help. it sounds like a good plan but lets say if i look away for a second and you do something that turns bad and it either complicates the job or causes issues down the road it comes back on me. so i would rather do the whole job myself so i can feel 100% when i give you a labor warranty. its not that i dont want you around its just too many hands under the hood often leads to issues. however im not tooo tooo far from western MA ive done probably about 20 cam swaps in ls and lq motors so even if you didnt want me to do it i could walk you through everything involved.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would definitely take a weekend/week and do it yourself. I had never done anything other than change my own oil before I attempted my first cam swap with the help of a buddy. As long as you take your time and follow writes-up like in the link posted above, you should get through it just fine. Then take it to a reputable tuner.