Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys with Heads/Cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Guys with Heads/Cam

Hey guys. I have a Z06 with 4,200 miles on it, and am highly debating a heads/cam/headers project because of a great opportunity that's left over from a not-so-good opportunity. Ha. Anyways, I was wondering how well your heads/cam packages have held up over time?

Power/Mileage since installed/What you'd do different now info will all be appreciated.

Lastly, got any suggestions for a cam? I'm going to go custom ground, need something with ~440-450rw combined with heads and headers, and needs to maintain downlow friendliness to some degree. Lope is nice, too.

Thanks in advance. Let me know what you think of your packages or tips on my potential one. Later guys.
Old 03-27-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Resident

Do yourself a HUGE favor and contact LOU at LG Motorsports.
Old 03-28-2004, 12:40 AM
pdd
TECH Veteran

if and when i do my cam again. ill go bigger
Old 03-28-2004, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Default try this

im questioning ur knowledge of the LS6's potential performance for the numbers ur looking for (440-450rwhp) u can achieve that with the matter of freeing up the intake and exaust flow, computer tuning:
k&n cold air induction (fipk)
granatelli maf sensor
granatelli maf housing
bbk throttle body, that should do it for the intake flow and for exaust flow use:
headers which i dont know who makes for your application
some high flow cats or cat
and then a cat back system if ud like (id let out the exaust after the cats)
and for cpu tuning jet has a stage 2 availible power control module and that should more than do it
Old 03-28-2004, 02:07 AM
Teching In

ZL1Camaro:

Mods you mentioned won't do it for a Z06. I know what it will take to reach those kinds of numbers, and my options are force induction or heads/cam or an engine package. While the Z06 is a sweet machine, every bolton isn't going to net me the numbers I want to see. For 440-450rwhp, I figure I can remain rather reliable (as far as those things are concerned) and very driveable with a heads/cam/headers package.

Also, perhaps you're relating to F-body LS6 swaps with boltons? Take into consideration I'm using the Corvette's IRS, and lose more through my drivetrain as a result. I could see where you may be relating to potential 420-430 numbers where they may be possible with full-bolton LS6-swapped Fbodies running through a live-axle rearend (don't know, haven't looked into such apps), whereas a full-bolton Z06 running through an IRS setup will see ~400rw.

No disrespect to you, but I'm fully aware of the potential LS6 performance. I'm sure 450rw isn't exactly the limit of the possibilities for a H/C LS6 either, but I don't exactly want to push the limits either. I can always strap giggle onto the heads/cam and push 600rw with a direct-port (as I like these setups best) NOSzle or similar setup and maintain full driveability elsewhere. Perhaps you could use some extra knowledge on these matters?

Thanks to others, all info welcome but aren't quite the responses I was hoping for just yet.
Old 03-28-2004, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,432 Likes on 992 Posts

Cartek or LGM headers. Underdrive pulley. Ported TB. A LSX intake and either a 78 or 90 TB would be nice. You could probably sell the LS6 intake & TB and help offset the cost of the LSX set up. Good tuning is need to get the most out of your set up too.

Several vendors offer excellent heads. My favorites for your application would be TEA LS6 2.5's with hand touch ups. Absolute, FMS and MTI are also excellent choices if you don't go with TEA.

For cam selection, sort of depends on your goals and limits. If doing valve springs isn't an issue then one of the very aggressive FMS cams would be a great choice. XE-R's are also aggressive, not quiet as much as the FMS/Cam Motion cams but still spring changes will be required to be safe. Talking with the head porter on cam selection can help too.

BTW

ZL1camaro,

Your suggestions are way off based. Might get 450 flywheel out of a motor that starts at 405 flywheel but that will NEVER get 450rwhp.

k&n cold air induction (fipk) - There are several CAI that are better for a vettegranatelli maf sensor
granatelli maf housing - keep the stock MAF and descreen
bbk throttle body, that should do it for the intake flow and for exaust flow use: port the stock TB or get a 78 from Absolute
headers which i dont know who makes for your application -Cartek or LGM for C5 headers are good staring points
some high flow cats or cat
and then a cat back system if ud like (id let out the exaust after the cats) - Stock Z06 catback is excellent, LGM has an in the pipe cat set up for their headers for the cats if one wants them. LGM says they don't hurt power very much
and for cpu tuning jet has a stage 2 availible power control module - Jet = junk in this application. Don't waste your money because it won't work. LS1 Edit or Predator is much much better
Old 03-28-2004, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Call Jason @ Texas Speed,he has some big time HP in his corvette.The Patriot/TSP combo has put down some big dyno numbers.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

people forgot to mention GTP as always. Craig is by far one of the most talented head porters out there. i have spoke to him on many occasions and he knows his stuff. alotta people dont remember his heads because they are "pricey"($2400 for S2 heads), but for a head that has more than $600 in valvetrain components and a port design that is hard to beat, what more can you expect. not to mention, he has fixed many of the competitors heads..and i know that for a fact.
Old 03-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Haha, 99 Blackbird T/A, everything you said sounds pretty much on the money to me. I'd go with the TEA's if I was purchasing aftermarket heads, but I think for the money the local machine shop will be saving me I won't be able to resist (they've done various LS1/LS6 setups thus far, it's not like going to NAPA ). I want the LGM's, but I heard the Kooks are putting down great numbers as well (at a greatly reduced cost from the LGMs) and will probably go with their 1 7/8" LTs in case I build a stroker in the future, plus it won't really hurt my lowrange numbers enough for me to care imo.

All good advice, though, thanks. I think I'm just to the point where I need to call the damn shop and discuss plans of where I want to be with the car to get them to steer me there. I'm down to pretty much requiring some good cam specs and a clutch that will hold up to them.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Didn't LG Motorsports hit 503RWHP with a ZO6 H/C combo?
Old 03-28-2004, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I think a couple tuners are up around 500-510rw with a Z06 h/c package.