Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting V6 to LS1

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting V6 to LS1

well im looking into converting my V6 3800 series 2 into an LS1. Basically im looking at the cost difference between fully rebuilding the V6 and supercharging it to getting and LS1, t56 and getting all the conversion components. Can anyone help me with a list of things i would need to make the conversion so i know what to look around for?
Old 05-19-2012, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I did a similar conversion on a 3rd Gen Firebird back in 1986 V6 to 352cid and what I learned is that it would have been better (not to mention easier) to just sell it and buy a 305 and upgrade.
The 3800 is a nice motor to turbo, with what I know now, that is the route I would take IMO.
Old 05-19-2012, 12:04 PM

i would like to keep the v6 but im not sure what to look for with upgrading parts and such as a cam shaft, pistons and all that. Also i dont know how much boost i would have to push through to make the HP with out blowing the motor up
Old 05-19-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Brady Bradford
i would like to keep the v6 but im not sure what to look for with upgrading parts and such as a cam shaft, pistons and all that. Also i dont know how much boost i would have to push through to make the HP with out blowing the motor up
How much boost is relative to the coin you want to spend and the parts used.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:44 PM
On The Tree

Easier, cheaper, everything good, to sell the car and buy a factory ls1 car. It will be much less headaches and overall a better project
Old 05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah unless you got a free drivetrain you will save money just buying a ls1 camaro, you can get them really cheap these days,alot cheaper and easier than doing that kind of swap, and if your going to go to all the trouble swapping motors you will want something better than a ls1, with all the truck blocks,ls2,3s etc thats really the best move, or do a 5.3 with a small turbo n th400, but going fi requires alot more funds to finish, you can prob find a decent ls1 car for a lil over 4 if ya look hard,deals are out there just be willing to travel for the best deal
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Unless you are emotionally attached to the car you have (gift etc) or it is in show-room condition, selling it and getting a LS1 car will probably be your best option. You get an LS1 from day one and can work your way into more power as time and money come along.

Other option would be to buy a totaled LS1 car and use it for a donor. You sometimes can find guys parting out cars on Craigs List for reasonable costs and may score some mods as well. This approach will take up a lot of space - you will have 2 cars disassembled at the same time.

If you want to turbo the 3.8 look up some Buick Grand National forums. This was a nice little engine and can make huge power with a lot of boost. Learning curve going this route can be expensive and you will have to do a lot of fab work yourself.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Sent a PM to ZexGX , he did a V8 conversion with his ride.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=92443
Old 05-20-2012, 01:52 PM

thanks for the response's. ive decided to do an ls1 conversion. i know it would be cheaper to get a factory ls1 car but i've done some mods to this car that i would like to keep like shaved door handles, shaved anteanna, and fresh paint. but as for a bigger motor than ls1 i dont think i want to go bigger seeing as how im brand new to making power so ill go into it small and work my way up but i have plenty of space so ill be looking for a donor car to have for spare parts.
Old 05-21-2012, 09:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

turboing the 3.8 isnt a bad idea but ur gunna need 7psi just to match what a ls1 makes stock you can easily put 450-500 down with a v6 and not run into to many issues but at that point you have more money into a car that is now less reliable. when that hp is a good heads and cam ls1. and is as reliable as it was when you started.. IMO going for a ls1 is a better idea but since your doing the swap anyway id look into something better maybe like a ls2-3-7-9. you know just some food for thought
Old 05-21-2012, 09:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by COPO9560
Unless you are emotionally attached to the car you have (gift etc) or it is in show-room condition, selling it and getting a LS1 car will probably be your best option. You get an LS1 from day one and can work your way into more power as time and money come along.

Other option would be to buy a totaled LS1 car and use it for a donor. You sometimes can find guys parting out cars on Craigs List for reasonable costs and may score some mods as well. This approach will take up a lot of space - you will have 2 cars disassembled at the same time.

If you want to turbo the 3.8 look up some Buick Grand National forums. This was a nice little engine and can make huge power with a lot of boost. Learning curve going this route can be expensive and you will have to do a lot of fab work yourself.
Couldn't be said any better.
All the reasons why I'm doing a ls1 swap instead of selling v6 and buying a v8.
I already had my car set up as far as appearence & suspension goes.
Also wanted to keep my first car.

Cleanest way to do it and route I'm taking is bought a complete totaled car with drivetrain & all the electronics plus fuel. Extract everything you will need from donor and then pull the v6 car apart.

Rear mount turbo is also an option that doesn't require extensive fabrication but for the money, ls swap is better choice.

Originally Posted by Brady Bradford
thanks for the response's. ive decided to do an ls1 conversion. i know it would be cheaper to get a factory ls1 car but i've done some mods to this car that i would like to keep like shaved door handles, shaved anteanna, and fresh paint. but as for a bigger motor than ls1 i dont think i want to go bigger seeing as how im brand new to making power so ill go into it small and work my way up but i have plenty of space so ill be looking for a donor car to have for spare parts.
I had the same thought, My v6 with probably 150rwhp was my dd for 5 years.
Now it will be ls1 and its not my dd so a ls1 with exhaust will be something all I need.

I figure for now I enjoy the ls1 and get a bigger lsx motor in few years.
Makes the swap least complicated when you have a donor car and all you are doing is taking parts off one car and putting in another.

PM me your email and I 'll send you a spreadsheet with Compatible/Incompatible parts as I finish the swap in a week or so.

Originally Posted by bwkmaro
turboing the 3.8 isnt a bad idea but ur gunna need 7psi just to match what a ls1 makes stock you can easily put 450-500 down with a v6 and not run into to many issues but at that point you have more money into a car that is now less reliable. when that hp is a good heads and cam ls1. and is as reliable as it was when you started.. IMO going for a ls1 is a better idea but since your doing the swap anyway id look into something better maybe like a ls2-3-7-9. you know just some food for thought
yeah pretty much, if its a dd or you don't have time/space to work on major components of a car anytime it needs attention...its usually not worth it to go that route.

I'm intersted in seeing your m90 supercharged car though. got any pics or build thread?
Did you swap a l67 or just the top end for your N/A l36?

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 05-21-2012 at 10:07 AM.

Quick Reply: Converting V6 to LS1