Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

02 Camaro SS Hydrolocked

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 504 Likes on 388 Posts

Default 02 Camaro SS Hydrolocked

It had rain really hard the night before and the next morning I went to start my 02 Camaro SS and the engine hydrolocked. I let it set for a few min and tried to start it again and it started but was making a very bad knocking noise that went away after about 5 mins. I did not drive it in the night before, so how did the water get in the engine? A week later the # 6 rod broke in haft and trashed the block. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want this to happen again to my new engine once I get it back togather.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
ModSquad

Received 3,369 Likes on 2,085 Posts

If you'll do a search on this site for hydrolocked ls1, you'll find this has happened to LOTS of people. Now how the water is actually getting into the cylinders?...the jury is still out on that one. Don't start the car again. Maybe you'll save the block.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Addict

All of the seatches that I saw the car was being driven at the time of the hydrolock. Mine was not driven in the rain, it was just sitting there. A week later just cruising down the interstate the engine let go. After the tear down I found that the # 6 rod broke in haft and trashed the block.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Lightbulb Maybe,,,,,

Originally Posted by bbond105
All of the seatches that I saw the car was being driven at the time of the hydrolock. Mine was not driven in the rain, it was just sitting there. A week later just cruising down the interstate the engine let go. After the tear down I found that the # 6 rod broke in haft and trashed the block.
Maybe it wasn't the water that did the deed... How about an inj filling #6 w/ fuel, and jacking the rod out of the block??
Old 05-21-2012, 01:59 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It had rain really hard the night before and the next morning I went to start my 02 Camaro SS and the engine hydrolocked. I let it set for a few min and tried to start it again and it started but was making a very bad knocking noise that went away after about 5 mins. I did not drive it in the night before, so how did the water get in the engine? A week later the # 6 rod broke in haft and trashed the block. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want this to happen again to my new engine once I get it back togather.
Water entered the intake track, does not take much to make the motor stop. You cannot compress a liquid. So the rod took the hit, probably bent it and when you tried to drive it it eventually let loose and hence the damage.

What intake is on the car, do you have any sheet metal intake that sucks cool are from the ground. Like a Super Sucker Ram Air???

The biggest thing is that as long as your not trying to drive through water you will be fine.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
The biggest thing is that as long as your not trying to drive through water you will be fine.
The intake and all the rest of the car is stock. Like I said the car was parked when it rained the night before. Is it possible the rain came in under or though the cowl and got on top of the engine and leaked in?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been several threads about that after a rain storm. Check this thread out.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...yesterday.html
Old 05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I read that thread, but it did not address how the water got it the engine.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

The intake and all the rest of the car is stock. Like I said the car was parked when it rained the night before. Is it possible the rain came in under or though the cowl and got on top of the engine and leaked in?
was it just water in the cylinder? only physical way i can think of water entering the intake is getting on top of a leaky injector seal and slowly seeping in or thru a crack in the intake. but i guess water would have to be pouring over it like a flood. theoretically a head gasket leak can do it too. was there no coolant in the water when you tore it down?
Old 05-21-2012, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nobody know for sure exactly how or why it happens. I think one of the ideas is, it gets past the cowl, puddles up in the valley cover area and leaks past the intake manifold seals. Only way this would be possible is if one or more of the intake seals was not sealing completely, allowing just enough water to leak into the engine.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

That’s what I was thinking. I just want to find the cause so this doesn't happen again to my new engine once I get it back together. Does anyone know for sure this is what happens?
Old 05-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last year my rod on the #5 cylinder bent cause of hydrolock. It had rained really hard that day also and when I went to start the car, it made a violent shake right when it cranked over. Well I went to try and restart it and it made a real bad deep tap noise. It was very distinct on the drivers side. Well we went to check lifters and found that the #5 piston at TDC was .076" recessed from the block deck. The tapping noise was what we believe to be the skirt of the piston barely tapping the crank. The car ran good and the frequency of the tap was directly proportional to the RPM. I had the injector tested and we put 120psi up to it and it never made a drip. Now that left 2 options which was that it could've stayed open after shutdown or water somehow leaked in through the gasket on the intake runner. We went with water leak as it had never done this the whole time I'd had it.

Last edited by Zach99Z; 05-21-2012 at 07:49 PM.
Old 05-21-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how water just sitting on an intake or valley cover can leak through a leaky gasket....but when the engine is running before the hydralock happened it didn't have a serious vacuum leak under the strong suction of the pistons through that same gasket.

Old 05-21-2012, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS6427
I wonder how water just sitting on an intake or valley cover can leak through a leaky gasket....but when the engine is running before the hydralock happened it didn't have a serious vacuum leak under the strong suction of the pistons through that same gasket.

I don't know, the engine seemed to be running fine the day before.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LS6427

Appreciate the input.... It's either water or fuel that caused the hydrolock.

By the way it's spelled "hydrolock".
Old 05-22-2012, 08:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

On another note, I was helping a friend work on his S10 truck. He thought the motor was locked up solid. It had that heavy clunk noise when you tried to crank it over. What it turned out to be was fuel leaking from the injector filling up the cylinder. I guess that starter didn't have enough power to crank it over and start breaking stuff.

But in the case of the OP, it sounds like water was the issue.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

"But in the case of the OP, it sounds like water was the issue."

He reports he didn't drive the car in the rain...NE suggestion as to how it got water in it??
Old 05-22-2012, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

You don't have to drive the car in the rain to get water in it. Just sitting in the rain can make it happen. We all know these cars leak by the cowl and hood. It doesn't take much liquid to get in the cylinder to cause a hydrolock. Say the OP has a 63cc combustion chamber and the motor is on the compression stroke all it takes is 0.0166 gallons of a liquid to fill that space up. That isn't much at all and anymore than that something will have to give, such as a connecting rod. If a gasket has a crack, a pinch, or just isn't seated perfectly all the way around that's where this leak could happen.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb You may..

Originally Posted by Zach99Z
You don't have to drive the car in the rain to get water in it. Just sitting in the rain can make it happen. We all know these cars leak by the cowl and hood. It doesn't take much liquid to get in the cylinder to cause a hydrolock. Say the OP has a 63cc combustion chamber and the motor is on the compression stroke all it takes is 0.0166 gallons of a liquid to fill that space up. That isn't much at all and anymore than that something will have to give, such as a connecting rod. If a gasket has a crack, a pinch, or just isn't seated perfectly all the way around that's where this leak could happen.
want to look into a job as a politician....
Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 PM
Staging Lane

Wanna kiss my a**? Just trying to help a guy out, but with a criticism to every remark it isn't worth it! Hope you get your problem fixed OP.

I have a message for you Old Geezer
t(-.-t)

Quick Reply: 02 Camaro SS Hydrolocked