Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Been at this issue for the past 2weeks.. Oil leaking..

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Been at this issue for the past 2weeks.. Oil leaking..

So as you can see i am dealing with a oil leak.. The leak is coming from somewhere about the starter.. It is not my real main seal.. I inspected the outside of the torque convertor and i don't see any extra oil inside.. A mechanic of mine told me to check the rear valley bolts.. so i will be taking off the intake manifold and checking behind it for any wet oil.. if anyone else has had this problem please let me know what was causing it..
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

We use a leak tester that uses a blacklite. You put the dye fluid in the crankcase, run it, and look for the leak w/ the lite and a pair of yellow lense glasses. There'll be NO doubt when you find it. The oil will be a bright green color....
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TruBluLs1
So as you can see i am dealing with a oil leak.. The leak is coming from somewhere about the starter.. It is not my real main seal.. I inspected the outside of the torque convertor and i don't see any extra oil inside.. A mechanic of mine told me to check the rear valley bolts.. so i will be taking off the intake manifold and checking behind it for any wet oil.. if anyone else has had this problem please let me know what was causing it..
I would check to see if it may be a valve cover gasket and oil pressure sender as well while you have the intake off to inspect the valley cover.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900
Old 06-18-2012, 11:12 AM
12 Second Club

Its most likely the rear main housing gasket. I know you dont wanna drop the trans but its gonna leak until you do. Sorry to say it
Old 06-18-2012, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It could also be where the rear cover and oil pan meet up.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nomasterase
Its most likely the rear main housing gasket. I know you dont wanna drop the trans but its gonna leak until you do. Sorry to say it
I've never thought about that.. It does look like it may be coming from there.. but if it was wouldn't the oil be leaking inside over the torque converter also? Because It looks pretty dry..
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
We use a leak tester that uses a blacklite. You put the dye fluid in the crankcase, run it, and look for the leak w/ the lite and a pair of yellow lense glasses. There'll be NO doubt when you find it. The oil will be a bright green color....
That plan sounds great but i actually cant see where the drip starts.. I took my starter off and cleaned around It and put eveeything back together, ran the car for about 6-7 mins and seen a drip coming down off of the starter bolt closest to the motor..
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jake@Texas-Speed
I would check to see if it may be a valve cover gasket and oil pressure sender as well while you have the intake off to inspect the valley cover.
Okay thanks, I'll be sure to check those out as well..
Old 06-19-2012, 12:20 PM
12 Second Club

on mine it didnt was so sure it was just the rear main i replaced it and put the trans back in was pulling it back out the next day because it was still leaking from the rear main housing gasket which was the problem the whole time doh!
Old 06-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nomasterase
on mine it didnt was so sure it was just the rear main i replaced it and put the trans back in was pulling it back out the next day because it was still leaking from the rear main housing gasket which was the problem the whole time doh!
Also when I pulled the starter off both bolts had a good amount of oil on them..
Old 06-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

anyone else ever had this problem?