Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

lots of smoke. most deffinatly oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation lots of smoke. most deffinatly oil

so i just finished a project on my 01 trans am, where i replaced the intake to and thyphoon ls1/ls6 version the ls6 pcv change, and chahned the valve covers to bigger and closed valve covers, (still dont know if those where the really bad idea). anyway, i had a bad fuel leak problem, that i rectified with swapping to old injectors,. i also replaced head gaskets, both sets of manifold gaskets, and valve cover gaskets (they came with car) and flange gaskets since i had to remove all manifolds to get the heads off. the driver side flange bolds desided to brak and i still need to replace them, i can stand a loud car but right noe i have bunch of smoke comming from exgauest and from the area between the passanger valve cover and egsaughts manifold. any advice. i looked in oil didnt see any wather but when i took off the oil cap u hear a presser release form inside the valve covers. plz any help is needed.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're running an LS6 PCV and no passive vent at the valve cover, that needs to be corrected before proceeding further. Read up on the LS6 PCV diagram, and be sure you have vacuum going to the LS6 gallery fitting.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Yes i do have a vacuum coming from throttle body to the pcv. Unless you are talking about a different hose then the nipple on the front of the pcv next to the throttle body, or are you talking about the hose coming of the throttle body to the valve covers?

Also update is the car isn’t wanting to idle right after a little while running and it might be the fact i didn’t oil the new gaskets as i added them on, none of them. Yes i know newbie mistake but i haven’t changed head gaskets since i was like 12.

Last edited by Charles Jennings; 08-15-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Charles Jennings
yes i do have a vacuum coming from throttle body to the pcv. unless you are talking about a different hose then the nipple on the front of the pcv next to the throttle body?

also update is the car isnt wanting to idel right after a little while running and it might be the fact i didnt oil the new gaskets as i added them on, none of them. yes i know newby mistake but i havnt changed head gaskets since i was like 12.

I guess you haven't had an english/spelling class since then either.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:22 PM
Teching In

Guessing you’ve never received any manners lessons ever, but good for you I’m a great teacher.....
Old 08-15-2012, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Guessing you’ve never received any manners lessons ever, but good for you I’m a great teacher.....
Should be manner lessons not manners...If you are a school teacher then that would be an excellent reason as to why our countries education system is in the toilet. I do hope you get your car issue figured out and above all HAVE A NICE DAY
Old 08-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigBirdLS1
Should be manner lessons not manners...If you are a school teacher then that would be an excellent reason as to why our countries education system is in the toilet. I do hope you get your car issue figured out and above all HAVE A NICE DAY
Why thank you and i hope you to have a nice day, nope not a teacher, I’m just here defending the country, no big deal or anything. i do to since it’s my only car since i don’t actually get paid a lot and need a vehicle to get back and forth to base. Mainly for those odd flying days.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why thank you and i hope you to have a nice day, nope not a teacher, I’m just here defending the country, no big deal or anything. i do to since it’s my only car since i don’t actually get paid a lot and need a vehicle to get back and forth to base. Mainly for those odd flying days.

I take it you are in the military...if so I appreciate your service.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Yes i do have a vacuum coming from throttle body to the pcv. Unless you are talking about a different hose then the nipple on the front of the pcv next to the throttle body, or are you talking about the hose coming of the throttle body to the valve covers?

Also update is the car isn’t wanting to idle right after a little while running and it might be the fact i didn’t oil the new gaskets as i added them on, none of them. Yes i know newbie mistake but i haven’t changed head gaskets since i was like 12.
You need both a vacuum source to the LS6 lifter cover fitting, and a passive vent (throttle body fitting, no vacuum just metered air) connected to one of the valve covers. Both are critical.
Old 08-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Teching In

got it, so what will i do without said fresh air line, just so i can see if there might be something else wrong with the car, besides the air line. Also if no airline will that cause an over pressurization of the valve and crank case?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:50 PM
12 Second Club

This is how it should be....

Your valley cover vent should either make a U tyrn right back into your intake manifold or thru a catch can into the manifold. There needs to be a "fresh air" hose running from your passenger valve cover to the port on ur throttle body.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:58 AM
TECH Addict

got it, so what will i do without said fresh air line, just so i can see if there might be something else wrong with the car, besides the air line. Also if no airline will that cause an over pressurization of the valve and crank case?
I tried, good luck.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you checked to see if you broke your oil pressure sending unit (behind intake manifold)? Its extremely easy to do and if oil comes out of there it will go a lot of places and make the car smoke like crazy.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:22 PM
Teching In

i actually did break that, just got a new one was going to replace it with a new one today, and i understand the pcv hose situation. I’d have one from the can to the throttle body, i just need the fresh air to the valve covers.
i was wondering about the over pressurization in case it could have blown my valve spring seals and that could lead to a lot of oil burning, that what that question was for.
Oh and thanks a lot for the info so far