Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another cam selection thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another cam selection thread

I know there are 10 cam threads a day but most have a cam in mind. I also know that I can call the vendors and get their recommendation but I feel that I am wasting their time if I plan to shop around and possibly buy used. So here is what I am looking for.
Going into a LS6 CTS-V with drop in filter, possibly headers, cat back, dual springs, trunion bearing upgrade. Motor has 24K so I doubt I will do anything with the heads.
Great low end power not too concerned with top end
Good idle with a little lope is OK but not tons.
This is my DD

Thanks
Old 09-01-2012, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Does this cam need to be smog friendly?
Old 09-01-2012, 07:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99Bluz28
Does this cam need to be smog friendly?
With the new smog regs and my car being a 2004 i'm thinking I will be safe with almost anything...as long as it doesn't lope like a drag car.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Comp Cams has a nice shelf grind you should like, #54-455-11, 215(lsl .604")/223(lsl .610") 112+5.
http://www.ws6project.com/user_stor/...lsa-4-8l-5-3l/
Old 09-01-2012, 10:31 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have two cams that would work perfectly for you.

One is our stage one "street heat" cam (222/226 .602/.605 115+3) or my emissions legal cam(218/230 .598/.609 117+2).
Old 09-01-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I have two cams that would work perfectly for you.

One is our stage one "street heat" cam (222/226 .602/.605 115+3) or my emissions legal cam(218/230 .598/.609 117+2).
Both of those are good smog/dd cams, but I wouldn't have picked either of those considering his statement, "Great low end power not too concerned with top end".
Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct. Not looking for HP numbers just something that comes on strong. I rarely wind the car up but have been known to leave a stop light in a hurry.
I appreciate the inputs so far !
Old 09-02-2012, 01:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Do you want aggressive cam lobes, or lobes that'll be fairly quiet and easier on the valve springs?

Last edited by 99Bluz28; 09-02-2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:23 AM
FormerVendor

Do you want aggressive cam lobes, or lobes that'll be fairly quiet and easier on the valve springs?
How is one cam 222/226 in duration and the other 218/230 in duration focused on top end horsepower?

You can't be afraid of an early EVO and that's what adding exhaust duration does. Adds torque after peak and helps carry it through to peak horsepower.

Now if you look at the first and the second camshaft the first has an ivo of -1 and an ivc of 43. The earlier the ivo event the more drivable the cam will be and the sooner the cylinder fill process starts. The earlier the ivc the sooner that cylinder fill is trapped creating more dynamic pressure in the cylinder. This creates more low end torque than a later event. The second has -6 ivo and 44 ivc a very early IVO and a decent ivc to help carry some(6200-6400) peak horsepower higher into the curve.

Now move to the exhaust side. The earlier you open the exhaust valve the sooner you start to blow down the cylinder and start the power stroke. Done at the proper time in conjunction with the ivo and ivc you can hang the torque curve out much further and longer than a later evo.

Adding some overlap in while keeping an early IVO only adds to broaden the torque curve. Although a lot of overlap is not what you're really after here in this application.

There's a lot more too it than looking at numbers and saying that is a big hp cam.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Fairly quiet and easier on the springs would be good. Not looking to buy new springs every 20K miles.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Martin&Tick, Like I said before, Both of those are good smog/dd cams, but I wouldn't have picked either of those considering his statement, "Great low end power not too concerned with top end".
that's what I focused on; that's all.

"How is one cam 222/226 in duration and the other 218/230 in duration focused on top end horsepower?"
Their not, I didn't say they were, but clearly they don't classify as "Great low end power" cams.
So don't you think a cam with less intake duration and a tighter lsa would give him the "Great low end power" he wants?

I do appreciate you explanation, thanks!

Ron
Old 09-02-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

For a custom grind: 214(.595"lxl)/222(/602"lxl) 112+2. It has -*6 OL so it should pass the sniffer, if needed.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A 222/226 cam is absolutely tiny. I'm assuming the car already has the typical ls6 cam in it (not positive the caddy came with the same cam) so I really don't see the point of a cam swap if you're not going with at least a 220 single pattern. I would go with a 222/226 on a 112 at the minimum.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:42 PM
FormerVendor

You guys have got to get past looking at it has to have this lsa it has to have this duration to do what you want.

Take a look at what valve events and cam timing does to a motor.

A cam with 214 intake duration on a motor with 3.622" stroke will peak at 5800rpm and even sooner with a 110icl. It will never even begin to start to make any torque in the 4000-5000rpm range before you're neutering it with intake duration. Start the IVO event sooner to promote more cylinder fill and add overlap with exhaust duration to broaden torque while leaving the IVC in the 43-45 range. It's a combination of events not just one event that makes a motor make power where you want it. This is just for this application every application will be different.

A tight lsa will make a higher peak number but will make the curve peakier in return. If you're looking to make a number by all means go for it, but it won't carry power throughout a usable rpm range after peak torque to peak horsepower. Power(torque) that you can feel pull the car along from 2000rpm all the way to horsepower peak not just once in the power curve.

You have to stop looking at @.050 numbers and it needs this LSA and this much advance to run like the customer wants. Play with valve events until you get the opening and closing numbers you want then find a lobe suitable for the grind. I don't do this everyday just for fun, it's my job. I'm not trying to mislead you, only teach what you should and shouldn't do. Not very many cam grinders will openly share theories, but if it's not listened to or heeded as advice then it doesn't really matter I guess.

A LS6 cam is no comparison to a 222/226 cam. A LS6 cam is 204/218 far from 222/226.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for another informative post. I looked on your site but did not see it listed. Did I miss it somewhere ?
You guys have got to get past looking at it has to have this lsa it has to have this duration to do what you want.

A cam with 214 intake duration on a motor with 3.622" stroke will peak at 5800rpm and even sooner with a 110icl. It will never even begin to start to make any torque in the 4000-5000rpm range before you're neutering it with intake duration. Start the IVO event sooner to promote more cylinder fill and add overlap with exhaust duration to broaden torque while leaving the IVC in the 43-45 range. It's a combination of events not just one event that makes a motor make power where you want it. This is just for this application every application will be different.

A tight lsa will make a higher peak number but will make the curve peakier in return. If you're looking to make a number by all means go for it, but it won't carry power throughout a usable rpm range after peak torque to peak horsepower. Power(torque) that you can feel pull the car along from 2000rpm all the way to horsepower peak not just once in the power curve.

You have to stop looking at @.050 numbers and it needs this LSA and this much advance to run like the customer wants. Play with valve events until you get the opening and closing numbers you want then find a lobe suitable for the grind. I don't do this everyday just for fun, it's my job. I'm not trying to mislead you, only teach what you should and shouldn't do. Not very many cam grinders will openly share theories, but if it's not listened to or heeded as advice then it doesn't really matter I guess.

A LS6 cam is no comparison to a 222/226 cam. A LS6 cam is 204/218 far from 222/226.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Another way of wording it is that a wide LSA on a split ground cam will table top the top end of the HP curve for torque somewhere else in the power band based on the durations of the exhaust and intake valves for scavenging. The efficiency of the build in relation to the motor and user input is where mapping the valve events in specific degrees in relation to the TDC becomes even more beneficial.

Also installing a cam on a lower number ICL than a higher than advertised LSA will bring in torque earlier and build torque throughout the low RPM range. This is the same as looking at it through the degrees of IVO - the sooner it opens the more air and fuel mixture that is brought in - closing it late enough to get scavenging benefits from the exhaust duration really comes into play especially if the exhaust is not limited to efficiency in design or too large for the application.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:50 PM
TECH Regular

I never said an ls6 cam was close to a 222/226, I know the specs of the ls6 cam. I said I didn't see the point of pulling an ls6 cam out for anything smaller than a 222/226. I was agreeing with what you had already said. You will never notice the tiny bit of bottom end that is lost by going with a decent cam.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

OP,

Just go with a proven 224/224 or a 228/228. Proven cams for low end and of course daily driving. .. You know it will work and there are endless 1/4 times, and dynos, and cylinder head combinations that work with that cam.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:22 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jmargo
Thanks for another informative post. I looked on your site but did not see it listed. Did I miss it somewhere ?
They will both be released very soon as in this week coming or the week after. I can have either ground now. Here is our cam package and what it includes. We just substitute your cam for the V.1 Polluter: http://www.tickperformance.com/tick-...r-ls6-engines/
Originally Posted by SS10Tech
Another way of wording it is that a wide LSA on a split ground cam will table top the top end of the HP curve for torque somewhere else in the power band based on the durations of the exhaust and intake valves for scavenging. The efficiency of the build in relation to the motor and user input is where mapping the valve events in specific degrees in relation to the TDC becomes even more beneficial.

Also installing a cam on a lower number ICL than a higher than advertised LSA will bring in torque earlier and build torque throughout the low RPM range. This is the same as looking at it through the degrees of IVO - the sooner it opens the more air and fuel mixture that is brought in - closing it late enough to get scavenging benefits from the exhaust duration really comes into play especially if the exhaust is not limited to efficiency in design or too large for the application.
Once again you are right on with your description of my post. This guy gets it.^^^^
Originally Posted by jridenour31
I never said an ls6 cam was close to a 222/226, I know the specs of the ls6 cam. I said I didn't see the point of pulling an ls6 cam out for anything smaller than a 222/226. I was agreeing with what you had already said. You will never notice the tiny bit of bottom end that is lost by going with a decent cam.
I'm sorry, sometimes it's hard to feel emotion placed on emphasis to determine ones true meaning on-line.

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
OP,

Just go with a proven 224/224 or a 228/228. Proven cams for low end and of course daily driving. .. You know it will work and there are endless 1/4 times, and dynos, and cylinder head combinations that work with that cam.
Before I started working at Tick we didn't have any cams to call our own. We either specified the Polluter (the original) or an off the shelf comp grind. There wasn't any variety or camshafts to choose from aside from custom stuff Jonathan did for engine builds we do in-house.

I was hired to fill that void. I guarantee you will see plenty of dyno and track results coming from a lot of my cams soon. While it isn't rocket science, it does take knowledge that is nearly impossible to learn all on-line over night or even in months or years of time. There are endless variations of combinations even if they share many similarities every end user wants something different to a certain degree. Knowing what to do in each one of those situations is where it gets tough and then being able to think outside the box from time to time and deviate from the "norm". There sooner or later has to be a formal movement away from "one size fits all" camshafts even though that seems to of become accepted. While small degree swings of 1-3* here and there don't make much difference in peak numbers, there are always ways to draw more power each and every time out of each combination.

I'm just here to lend that hand and help the members here make a good decision on quite possibly one of the most important pieces of their engine.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 09-03-2012 at 02:30 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:30 AM
Turd Gen Guy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm just here to lend that hand and help the members here make a good decision on quite possibly one of the most important pieces of their engine.
very well said man..... hoping tick comes out with some "shelf" cams to call their own besides the polluter

Quick Reply: Another cam selection thread