Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best SMOG legal cam

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2004, 04:20 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best SMOG legal cam

I'm in California, and need a cam that will pass the sniffer test we are required to take every 2 years. What is a good cam that will pass SMOG test? I'm also not worried about a lopey idle. What kind of power am I looking to make on a 01 M6, LT's, and cutouts?

Also, is it worth getting heads for this cam? Whats a good ehad for this cam and what kind of power am I looking at?

I would rather keep the car all-motor, rather than going FI, but it is tough making power on California laws. Still debating what to do. If I can find a cam that makes decent power, and can pass the sniffer, it would be great.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:12 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's true we have tight emmissions laws here in Kalifonia, but the good news is the OBD2 computers controlling the engines. My car recently sailed past the sniffer test with a 220º cam on 112ºlsa and installed +4º. The idle is a bit lopey, but smooths out immediately upon acceleration. My car has stock exhaust, CATS etc. and no doubt would have passed with a 230º+ duration cam. As mentioned above, the computers do a masterful job of controlling the engines fuel curve and mask the lumpy idling cams from the sniffer test. On average, Stage 2 ported heads can add 20-40rwhp alone. Cams really add to that figure especially with LTs and some intake bolt ons like a lid.
Hope this helps,

Richard
Old 04-07-2004, 05:48 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

do a search for cali cams.
Old 04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
do a search for cali cams.
we should have an automated program that searches for the keyword in new threads, and immediately posts a "do a search for (keyword)" reply to stop people from posting worthless **** like this. if everyone had this attitude, there would be nothing to search for. unless the original poster is a complete moron and still doesnt know how to search, advising him to do so is just a waste of bandwidth.

back to the real topic,
i heard a 224 duration cam w/ 114lsa is the way to go.
i dont know wtf Richard@WCCH is talking about,
i heard 225 is a stretch and 226 takes a damn miracle.
if anyone has a 230 cam car that passes cali smog,
take me to your tuner!
Old 04-07-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

VICTION ONE!

im also looking for a similar set-up....
and i was looking @ some stage2 5.3 heads w/ a 10.8:1 CR
and probly a 224/224 .565/.565 114 maybe a 112?

and with a good tune i was hoping for 390-400 rwhp.......
Old 04-07-2004, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Stone0fFire
we should have an automated program that searches for the keyword in new threads, and immediately posts a "do a search for (keyword)" reply to stop people from posting worthless **** like this. if everyone had this attitude, there would be nothing to search for. unless the original poster is a complete moron and still doesnt know how to search, advising him to do so is just a waste of bandwidth.

I really don't want to open up a can o' worms here, but I have to say something about this comment.

Normally, I would have to agree with you Stone. Some people are all too quick to refer anyone to the search engine. However, not in this case.

First off, JRP is one of the most informative, and helpful people on this entire website. If you look up his past posts you will find that he spends alot of his time and energy giving many people (including myself) detailed and accurate information reguarding the LS1. I would venture to say that at least half of his many posts (what's is at like 3k now?) are directed as such.

I would think that when one sees the same question asked time and again, one would have to resort to asking them to search the topic prior to starting a thread. Not only does this cut down on redundency for him, it also benefits us as well. I for one, hate to filter through 5 posts that have been on the board 3 times within a week's period just to get to ONE new topic or other helpful information.

Secondly, While you do have a point about users of this site needing the information, i do, however, belive at this point there is an abudance of info reguarding this particular question. So, your point (in this instance) would indeed be moot. That is, in fact, why informative people (such as JRP) save their time for other questions that need to be addressed, and have little in the way of search material.

Third, many people have a hard time typing the right group of words do yield the correct or best search results. (i.e. try: smog, cali, and then cali cams, or even california cams, and see the difference in the search results.) Simple example, sometimes I search for something and find nothing on to find out later that a different group of words worked perfectly.

Lastly, unfortunatley, yes, we sometimes have to tell people to use the search button. Not so much for the fact that they do not have the know-how, but more for the fact that many of us are to lazy to do the search in the first place. Hell, people may become more inclined to do a search if they didn't have to filter through the redundant threads concerning a particular common topic.

Thank You for your time. Take Care.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:03 PM
Launching!

I recommend a 224/224 114lsa cam.

I chose to use the TTP setup and I am very pleased with the very nice hp improvement. I too asked the same questions and read as many posts as possible as I wanted to go as radical as possible and still pass both the pcm and sniffer tests.

That is how I settled on the 224/224 114lsa cam setup.

Rumor is the 225 or 226 setups might pass both tests but my opinion why take the chance.

Great mod, very civilized and easily an every day driver modification. In my opinion go with dual valve spring kit and an ASP pully while your at it.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, the famous 224/224 114LSA will pass the bullshit emmision testing. You might be able to get away with a 112LSA but I'd suggest staying safe with a 114. I have it and love it. Look at Thunder Racing, they sell them.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Oh yea, I forgot my suggestion to the original poster. Go with TSP if you are looking for a good price. They have a special going on right now. It is in the Group Purchace section. Or give FMS a call, talk to allan about your setup and go from there. From what I've seen, FMS cams have a better area under the curve on similar grinds to their Comp counterparts. Their prices are good as well, just tell em to match or beat TSP's special.

Good Luck and Take Care.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:56 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

thats because we just had this question, with cam suggestions and info from a cali smog tech
Old 04-07-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

back to the real topic,
i heard a 224 duration cam w/ 114lsa is the way to go.
i dont know wtf Richard@WCCH is talking about,
i heard 225 is a stretch and 226 takes a damn miracle.
if anyone has a 230 cam car that passes cali smog,
take me to your tuner!
And also you said you have LT's or are getting them? I hope you know that LT's arent emission legal. Thats why i got shorties
Old 04-07-2004, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
stage2 5.3 heads w/ a 10.8:1 CR

Watch out on rasing compression now that NOx is tested that could give you a hard time. As for the cam, with the new loaded dyno tests it is much easier to pass with bigger cams, because there is idle test.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks for all the replies. I have done a search and did my share of reading, but just wanted to post to get a more direct response.

I'm not worried about visual inspection, but just the sniffer, so the LT's won't cause any problems.
Old 04-08-2004, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

wow, im really screwing up here, arent i, guys?
maybe jrp should just NOT reply at all if he is frustrated,
and just let the noob search after no one replies,
or let other people who arent tired of replying to people all day, reply.
but then again,
THAT would be a waste of bandwidth, wouldnt it?
okay, i get it, sorry..
just catching up, guys.

alright, why not compile ONE GOOD THREAD about cali cams,
and then sticky the mf?

you guys could have the stats of camz that people have actually passed smog with, and then the stats of the cars they are in. that would be real great. would have prevented my cali cam post a couple days ago.

cant something good come from this recent negativity?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow, im really screwing up here, arent i, guys?
maybe jrp should just NOT reply at all if he is frustrated,
and just let the noob search after no one replies,
or let other people who arent tired of replying to people all day, reply.
but then again,
THAT would be a waste of bandwidth, wouldnt it?
okay, i get it, sorry..
just catching up, guys.

alright, why not compile ONE GOOD THREAD about cali cams,
and then sticky the mf?

you guys could have the stats of camz that people have actually passed smog with, and then the stats of the cars they are in. that would be real great. would have prevented my cali cam post a couple days ago.

cant something good come from this recent negativity?
Negativity? No negativity here.

Quick Reply: Best SMOG legal cam