Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4 dropped a valve

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 dropped a valve

I had a customer bring me an engine to put in his hummer h2, and it dropped a valve (broke a valvespring), and pushrod is bent. Supposedly the engine he brought me was a 35k motor that sat around for 3 years, was really hard to break free to rotate engine over. It happened while doing a CKP relearn. ****! Anyways, any idea what to tell this guy? Is the engine salvageable?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there simply piston to valve contact or did the valve get demolished? Have you pulled the heads to assess the damage and find out what the piston face and cylinder walls looks like? It is unlikely such an event does not warrant a tear down. You would not want to assume the oil filter would catch all of the deb-re and simply replacing the damaged parts and going on. If any metal fragments remain it is possible for them to prematurely kill the mains/rod/cam bearings.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You won't know if the motor can be saved without a rebuild untill you pull the heads. If it was hard to get to spin over you should have had the heads off to inspect everything before you did the swap.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

What Gunslinger said...
What to tell the customer?? Tell him you phucked the pooch, when you found it hard to turn over, and put it in, anyway.
Time to suck it up, and fix it. If the customer is reasonable, he should help w/ the $$.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
What Gunslinger said...
What to tell the customer?? Tell him you phucked the pooch, when you found it hard to turn over, and put it in, anyway.
Time to suck it up, and fix it. If the customer is reasonable, he should help w/ the $$.
I did tell him the engine turned over hard and he insisted that the engine is good, and said put it in. This guy is unreasonable, and doesnt understand things like the dipstick tube crumbled from rust, and the starter solenoid studs snapping off instantly from heavy corrosion on the undercarriage of this thing (truck was driven, then sat for 3 yrs, ouside in a field or something).
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tough spot there. Did you note the issues before hand and have him sign an estimate or disclosure/liability statement?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 11-08-2012, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxvaz
I did tell him the engine turned over hard and he insisted that the engine is good, and said put it in. This guy is unreasonable, and doesnt understand things like the dipstick tube crumbled from rust, and the starter solenoid studs snapping off instantly from heavy corrosion on the undercarriage of this thing (truck was driven, then sat for 3 yrs, ouside in a field or something).

Hate to say it but sounds like a customer that is going to cost you money either way be it fixing this or badmouthing you if he is unhappy. I might try a fresh valvespring and a leakdown test if you really want to avoid pulling the heads.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wink Just maybe..

you'd have gotten some different views, had you posted this "new info", to begin with.

Given what U R now saying: Mr customer, do you wish to have this repaired, pulled back out, so you can return it, or?? In any case, the expenses for doing so are this many $$$$....End of story.
In any case, if he tries to jack you around, it would be time to file a mechanic's lien on it...
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
you'd have gotten some different views, had you posted this "new info", to begin with.

Given what U R now saying: Mr customer, do you wish to have this repaired, pulled back out, so you can return it, or?? In any case, the expenses for doing so are this many $$$$....End of story.
In any case, if he tries to jack you around, it would be time to file a mechanic's lien on it...
I talked to him, and he is willing to work with me on this situation. I told him I would get the head off and see if the piston is okay, and install another head off his old motor, for a fee.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Teching In

Good, it sounds like he's willing to help. Not sure what kind of shop you are (size-wise), but I can't imagine anywhere offering a warranty on a used, customer-supplied part. If I were the customer, I would in no way expect to be compensated for what happened.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

At that point you should have broke it down to him that you needed to pull the heads or you would not be held responsible if the motor was bad and he would have to pay the freight on your labor reguardless. Hope you can get him to be reasonable after the fact.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up Good news...

I talked to him, and he is willing to work with me on this situation. I told him I would get the head off and see if the piston is okay, and install another head off his old motor, for a fee.
I'm betting on rusty cyl walls. Bet that both sides are messed up.
As mentioned, I'd get him to agree, IN WRITING, w/ a new work order, stating what's going to be done.

CYA, CYA!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, removed the head, and the piston was not bad. I installed a new gasket, bolts, and took the head off his other engine. Started right up and is back on the road.

Quick Reply: LQ4 dropped a valve