Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Help!!!!

Long story-short...Did a burn out last Saturday and bounced the rev-limiter UNintentionally twice. A little while later I start hearing noise from what sounds like it was from the passenger cylinder. I was thinking possible bent push rods or something with the rocker arms.

Now today....

OK I pulled the cover. I checked all the rocker arms prior to loosing them,all except the ones on the compression side had some side to side play to them. The ones that were compressing did not. I can't say how much was too much, I just know that they all seem to have the same amount of play and none had up or down play, ONLY SIDE TO SIDE. I saw no metal in the cylinder and I also checked all the valve springs and none move at all.

I checked the push rods and all seem to be fine. No obvious bends when I rolled them on a flat level surface.

SO now what?

Need to know what the torque specs for the rocker arms.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rocker arms 22 ft lbs

Did you roll the pushrods across a piece of glass?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Launching!

yes on the glass.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well about all thats left is a lifter at this point, if its not something a lot worse. Id recommend a set of morels

Last edited by Tainted; 11-23-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think the rockers are fine, its possible you could have spun a rod bearing, OR you could have bent a valve if you hit the limiter fast enough to float the valves.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Launching!

I checked the drivers side and it's still there. I shot this video....I hope you can hear the noise I'm talking about it's around 0:15 through :028 seconds of the video.

the first 15 seconds is at idle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKSL...1&feature=plcp

It was the first start up of the day, OP is reading normal, haven't let it get warmed up enough because of the noise.

I can eliminate it being a header gasket, I checked for it 1st and couldn't fell any leaks.

Had a couple of local LS guys come over and listen and both seem to think it might be a bad lifter.

Can anyone describe how a lifter problem sounds like?

While listening with the stethoscope I have to say it sounds like a sewing machine like in this video below and it sounds very close to what I hear below 3500 rpms, but not as loud. After 3500 rpms my headers drown out everything. (my neighbors are loving me right now )

How would I know if the lifter is bad?

Does a bad lifter mean new cam?
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Launching!

This below was suppose to go with the above videos but for some reason would not show up.

I checked the drivers side and it's still there. I shot this video....I hope you can hear the noise I'm talking about it's around 0:15 through :028 seconds of the video.

the first 15 seconds is at idle.

It was the first start up of the day, OP is reading normal, haven't let it get warmed up enough because of the noise.

I can eliminate it being a header gasket, I checked for it 1st and couldn't fell any leaks.

Had a couple of local LS guys come over and listen and both seem to think it might be a bad lifter.

Can anyone describe how a lifter problem sounds like?

While listening with the stethoscope I have to say it sounds like a sewing machine like in this video below and it sounds very close to what I hear below 3500 rpms, but not as loud. After 3500 rpms my headers drown out everything. (my neighbors are loving me right now )

How would I know if the lifter is bad?

Does a bad lifter mean new cam?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's how mine sounded when I had a bad lifter and cracked the lifter tray
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Launching!

was it hard to change out? I know I have to pull the heads and replace the gaskets, anything else/special?
Old 11-27-2012, 12:39 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just pull the heads and see, if it is a lifter you might need a new cam also.

Quick Reply: Help!!!!