Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experts advice wanted: Does anyone out there use Crane Lifters on their Gen III?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Experts advice wanted: Does anyone out there use Crane Lifters on their Gen III?

I recently bought a C5Z that has a Pat G spec'd cam and with it, it is also running crane lifters. The lifters have been great so far, but I am about to do a head swap, where I plan on replacing my lifters, pushrods and comp trunnion upgrading my rockers. As I stated in the post title, does anybody else have experience with crane LS lifters? If so what has it been? So far mine have been great, but they have only been in the motor 6k miles. I'm just wondering if when I do the head swap if I should go back in with cranes, LS7's or something else?

Last edited by 427zm; 01-03-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 01-04-2013, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Friday bump.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have not had any personal experience with Crane's LS stuff but I am wondering now that you asked the question. Hopefully someone can chime in and give some info.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

If the existing lifters are working fine why replace them?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are very expensive and high quality lifters if they are their high end version. I think Tony Mamo knows them well if I recall a conversation I had with him some time back. Perhaps a PM to him.

I would keep the Crane's over anything else out there (except Morel). If you go LS7 you are definitely stepping down in lifter quality.

Do you know which Crane lifters they are and when built?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:59 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 427zm
I recently bought a C5Z that has a Pat G spec'd cam and with it, it is also running crane lifters. The lifters have been great so far, but I am about to do a head swap, where I plan on replacing my lifters, pushrods and comp trunnion upgrading my rockers. As I stated in the post title, does anybody else have experience with crane LS lifters? If so what has it been? So far mine have been great, but they have only been in the motor 6k miles. I'm just wondering if when I do the head swap if I should go back in with cranes, LS7's or something else?
Some of the BEST Hyd. roller lifters out there right now. I would clean them up and reuse them over. I have used several sets in many engines I have done for customers with NO issues. Shoot for .060-.090 preload with them.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JPH
Some of the BEST Hyd. roller lifters out there right now. I would clean them up and reuse them over. I have used several sets in many engines I have done for customers with NO issues. Shoot for .060-.090 preload with them.
Thanks for the advice. I will have my installer check them, and reuse them as long as they are in good shape.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
Those are very expensive and high quality lifters if they are their high end version. I think Tony Mamo knows them well if I recall a conversation I had with him some time back. Perhaps a PM to him.

I would keep the Crane's over anything else out there (except Morel). If you go LS7 you are definitely stepping down in lifter quality.

Do you know which Crane lifters they are and when built?
I'm not sure which crane lifters are in the motor. This is the first time to be in it since I bought the car. I would assume they are more of a replacement type lifter. That being said, my cam is not big, and I'm not going too exotic with heads (TSP Stage 2.5 LS6), so they should work great. The LS7's should be fine as well, it's just that on this forum and for that matter anywhere else, you don't hear a thing about them. I know Crane is a top notch brand, I just hadn't heard anything about there stuff in the LS world.

Last edited by 427zm; 01-05-2013 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Typo error
Old 01-05-2013, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hiltsy855
If the existing lifters are working fine why replace them?
My thought was since I am doing the heads I mine as well go ahead and replace the lifters with the pushrods since my new heads will require new pushrods. Just figured a brand new whole top end wouldn't be a bad thing while the heads are off anyway.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Generally there are a lot of brands and few manufacturers if you can't find anything on the Crane boxed ones maybe you can find out what other name they are sold under because it is VERY likely they are sold by someone else too.
First order of business though would be to figure out if they were a "replacement" or a performance lifter.

With roller stuff it is not necessary to replace lifters with a cam swap.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
Generally there are a lot of brands and few manufacturers if you can't find anything on the Crane boxed ones maybe you can find out what other name they are sold under because it is VERY likely they are sold by someone else too.
First order of business though would be to figure out if they were a "replacement" or a performance lifter.

With roller stuff it is not necessary to replace lifters with a cam swap.
I will find out once the heads are off. I know I don't have to replace them, heck they don't have but roughly 6k miles on them. We will check them when we open everything up!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Crane LS mini-catalog has photos of both of their lifters. Once you have one out, it will be easy to identify what you have.
Old 01-06-2013, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vettenuts
The Crane LS mini-catalog has photos of both of their lifters. Once you have one out, it will be easy to identify what you have.
Thanks for the tip! I just pulled it up. I'll look at them when they come out! Looks like AFR uses a bunch of their stuff on their packages.

Quick Reply: Experts advice wanted: Does anyone out there use Crane Lifters on their Gen III?