Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little help for this WS6 Noob??

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 03:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Little help for this WS6 Noob??

Hey I'm new to all this modding of car. I have a 1999 trans am ws6 six speed with straight pipe/cat back exhaust. sitting right at 100k miles. I want to be pushing around 425-450 hp without exceeding 4/5 thousand dollars. I really would like to do this with heads/cams, headers, ThrottleBody, and some sort of intake. I was also thinking a detroit locker rear end to hold the horse and a upgraded clutch....

Soooo after all of that where do you think i sit $$$ money wise and any suggestions from experience??
Old 01-10-2013, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Money wise? No way you're getting all those mods for 4/5 thousand, even used parts will probably be over that and then you have labor and tuning to think about. Little stuff adds up too. You could run nitrous though...
Old 01-10-2013, 03:18 PM
10 Second Club

425HP can be made with that type of budget, but thats exactly what it is, a budget. 4/5K sounds like a lot of money but in all reality this will get soaked up in parts, and if you don't have all the tools (Speacial and basic) that are required, that begins to cut into the budget some as well. It can be done no doubt.

1 7/8" Headers (Budget depending on which brand. TSP/Pacesetter)
5.3/243(799) (CNC'd and milled or just ported and polished. Budget depending, just some ideas)
Cam (Build specific. Martin@TickPerformance can steer you in the right direction)
LS2 Timing Chain
Ported LS6 Oil Pump
Pushrods (Measure length and brand is budget dependant)
LS7 Lifters
LS6 intake @ the minimum. Fast is you can afford it.
Throttle Body: Ported and polished stocker is good enough for the LS6 intake
Injectors/Fuel Pump-Racetronix makes a good upgrade for the fuel pump, but it may not be necassary for that HP (Not sure), you can find some decent injectors used/new

Thats all I can think of as of now. Whats going to kill you is you want to upgrade the clutch and rearend at the same time. That is a budget killer. CoSpeed has a great price on Monster clutches and for the rearend I need to do more research on this myself.

Good Luck with your build...

Edit: I want to say my budget was around $5500 (Not including exhaust: TSP Stainless 1 7/8" Headers, TSP 3" ORY, Borla 3" Adj. Catback) and I bought used heads, used intake. I spent months researching and trying to find the best deals and still had a lot of questions. I bought a used Ported TSP Fast 92 and PTM 95mm TB, and I got the TEA Stage 2 LS6 heads. The money goes quick, but if you budgeted and went ls6 intake and used heads you can do good with your budget. Buy smartly

Last edited by FEAR LS; 01-10-2013 at 03:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Headers, cam, tune and and a 12bolt are where I would start first. Then yeah spray it to get to 500+ at the tires.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

look at vengeance racing or Texas Speed for good head/cam combos.the ws-6 store sells a head/cam combo ,it mite make 420 hp.you will need a bigger better fuel system.look for a used 9" in the used parts section ,or consider a built 8.8 from a some selling them in the rear gear section.it can be done.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm running a good budget HCI build with a Detroit Truetrack upgrade on the stock 10 bolt with some Nitto dr's, and it's holding up fine with 75k right now.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by brenden1661
Hey I'm new to all this modding of car. I have a 1999 trans am ws6 six speed with straight pipe/cat back exhaust. sitting right at 100k miles. I want to be pushing around 425-450 hp without exceeding 4/5 thousand dollars. I really would like to do this with heads/cams, headers, ThrottleBody, and some sort of intake. I was also thinking a detroit locker rear end to hold the horse and a upgraded clutch....

Soooo after all of that where do you think i sit $$$ money wise and any suggestions from experience??
We have several options of reaching your power goals!! I would be more than happy to help with any questions or even putting together ideas for your build! Just shoot me a PM or call us here at the shop (678) 513-7105. THANKS!

Originally Posted by garygnu
look at vengeance racing or Texas Speed for good head/cam combos.the ws-6 store sells a head/cam combo ,it mite make 420 hp.you will need a bigger better fuel system.look for a used 9" in the used parts section ,or consider a built 8.8 from a some selling them in the rear gear section.it can be done.
Always good for a referral Thanks man!
Old 01-11-2013, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

look for a used rear end , 12 bolt or better yet a 9" , for a clutch id go with a monster setup too . That will eat up about 3000-3500, headers and y pipe from tsp , with a mail oder tune from frost.

That setup would give you a setup you could hammer on .

The other setup is get ls7 clutch setup , no rear end work , and then go headers , cam and tune

Quick Reply: Little help for this WS6 Noob??