Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

requesting input into roller rockers -vs- stock w/ trunion upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 07:59 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default requesting input into roller rockers -vs- stock w/ trunion upgrade

Looking for some input on the subject. A few years ago I did a heads / cam swap and replaced / upgraded all parts with new. I have been wondering if upgrading to roller rockers is really worth it. I have been reading a lot of posts on tech and it seems most say to upgrade when going anything over .600 lift. My cam is a TSP Tsunami 235/240 .648"/.609" 111LSA

I decided to use my stock rockers and did the Comp Cams trunion upgrade and not risk the stock setup. I have run the car for 2 years w/ many many WOT 6200 rpm+ runs and never any problems. Limiter is set @6500.

I have been reading about excessive guide wear w/ no roller tips. Still researching and trying to understand if I should stick with what I have or not. I don't care about gaining horsepower, I just want a really strong reliable valvetrain. I see a lot of people going with non-andjustable ones, not sure if I really need adjustable ones but I am not counting them out. A little heaver / lighter isn't a huge factor as long as I have the strength, reliability, longevity in the units. I want to have them stay under stock valve covers, and I see no need to deviate from a 1.7 ratio rocker.

As I said before, my stockers w/ the trunion upgrade have given me zero problems, just maybe a little paranoid when I keep reading about anything over .600" lift should be rollers. Whats your opinion? Am I good?

thanks

-mark jr.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing...
Old 02-27-2013, 03:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The valve springs also are a factor, I believe you want to keep the open load rate to 400 in.lb. or less with the gm rockers. I would consider running a cam with less lift than .648" with the gm rockers, like with LSL LXL lobe combo.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Launching!

i ran the t-rex with stock rockers they didnt even have the trunion upgrade i ran them for 5000 miles no problems then sold the motor. you should be good with the rockers you have.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:45 PM
JPH
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackDuk98
Looking for some input on the subject. A few years ago I did a heads / cam swap and replaced / upgraded all parts with new. I have been wondering if upgrading to roller rockers is really worth it. I have been reading a lot of posts on tech and it seems most say to upgrade when going anything over .600 lift. My cam is a TSP Tsunami 235/240 .648"/.609" 111LSA

I decided to use my stock rockers and did the Comp Cams trunion upgrade and not risk the stock setup. I have run the car for 2 years w/ many many WOT 6200 rpm+ runs and never any problems. Limiter is set @6500.

I have been reading about excessive guide wear w/ no roller tips. Still researching and trying to understand if I should stick with what I have or not. I don't care about gaining horsepower, I just want a really strong reliable valvetrain. I see a lot of people going with non-andjustable ones, not sure if I really need adjustable ones but I am not counting them out. A little heaver / lighter isn't a huge factor as long as I have the strength, reliability, longevity in the units. I want to have them stay under stock valve covers, and I see no need to deviate from a 1.7 ratio rocker.

As I said before, my stockers w/ the trunion upgrade have given me zero problems, just maybe a little paranoid when I keep reading about anything over .600" lift should be rollers. Whats your opinion? Am I good?

thanks

-mark jr.
What heads and Valve Springs? Trunion upgrade to say the least.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JPH
What heads and Valve Springs? Trunion upgrade to say the least.
I went with the PRC CNC LS6 stage 2.5's from Texas Speed. The springs that are in there are PRC titanium double spring .650" lift versions. Here are their specs:

Install Height: 1.810"
Closed Spring Pressure: 144 lb. @ 1.810" Installed Height
Open Spring Pressure: 402 lb. @ .600" lift
Open Spring Pressure: 425 lb. @ .650" lift
Maximum Spring Lift: .650"
Coil Bind 1.080"
Spring Rate: 469lbs/in

I've been running the trunion upgrade for 2 years now and have had no problems. Just been researching a lot and answers seem to be all over the place. I think I am safe with the setup I have going right now, but knowledge is power and I like haveing a reliable combo.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:59 AM
9 Second Club

I have the comp pro magnum adjustable, and have been running them for years. They ad a little lift too which is nice. Just changed heads to 243 stage 3 with 2.08 valves, so we will see how it goes from there. As far as weight is concerned.
Old 02-28-2013, 11:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Rollers seem to break left and right. Stay stock if at all possible.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4
Rollers seem to break left and right. Stay stock if at all possible.
Yella Terra's seem to break left and right....from what I've seen around here.

Quality rollers seem to hold up much better. Of course, nothing is perfect. Even Jesel's break once in a while.
Old 03-01-2013, 11:56 AM
TECH Addict

I think you should keep your current setup. yeah, your lift numbers are higher than most that stick with stock rockers, but I wouldn't go looking for a problem right now....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

My main concern was prevention and having a solid setup. After reading a bunch of articles and reviews / posts, for now I will keep it how I have it right now. Thank you all for your input.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Resident

I have been wondering the same thing, but can not seem to find a real answer like you. It seems like I found a post once on LS1tech showing why the stock rockers are no good over .600 lift. I will see if I can find it. What about the Harland Sharp rockers from Summit Racing? I am looking at a Comp Cam with .624 lift for my 402.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Here you go, looks like I will be putting roller rockers on mine.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html

You may have some guide wear. I am not going to chance it.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Here you go, looks like I will be putting roller rockers on mine.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...e/viewall.html

You may have some guide wear. I am not going to chance it.
Good job finding that info I'm going to hope that I havent damaged it much, now justr have to figure out which is best....Time for more research.

Thanks

-mark jr.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i went with Yella Terra Ultra Lights as the aggressive ramp rate on my cam lobes annihilated my stock rockers in less then 200 miles. i got a killer deal on them from Mike at the WS6Store so i couldnt say no. almost 2 years running (installed april 2011) and 5k miles later. i would like to note that i always warm up my car before i drive anywhere (at least 120*, usually 180*) and drive it once maybe twice a week. its is not my daily driver by any means
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you set up the yella terras with the correct preload and wiper pattern, guys dont seem to have problems with them. the failures that everyone talks about happened on a batch of rockers 3-4 years ago - their machine tooling cut the pushrod cup too tight and caused problems. they owned up to it and replaced any affected. do a search, you'll find the thread.

the important thing is that a roller rocker helps to reduce valve guide wear. rocker trunions or no, the stock arms still cause side loading once you get above .550" ish lift.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

powdered guides and upgraded rockers are fine..like said problem is when it comes to high lift like over .630 or so the rockers can dig into the valve tips due to angle,huge open pressure also aint good for them an they do wear out the guides do to side loading but nothing like if you had bronze guides in them..

an with the yt's they got a bad rep do to the bad batch and design..they have been redesigned and the new ones have the rocker ratio off set on them..i wouldnt get the adj ones unless your solid roller..the extra weight on the valve train can lead to some valve float in certain setups

Quick Reply: requesting input into roller rockers -vs- stock w/ trunion upgrade