Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2013, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default engine noise

I am new to the LS-1 engine world. Just purchased an 02 TransAm with 80k on the odometer. I have a reasonable amount of experience with the Gen I small block, but these engines are a bit noisy and I am not sure what I am hearing. I read a bunch of posts about lifter noise and piston slap. Anyway, my engine has a light tap/click/light knock when it is cold. Seems to go away after the engine is warm ( after about 5 minutes or less), but I still hear some valve train noise. I changed the oil and drained the oil thru some cheese cloth. No metal particles and nothing of substance on the magnetic drain plug. Fresh oil and filter ( full synthetic 5w-30). At start up, almost 80 psi (on the dash guage). After warmup, still over the 40 psi mark at idle. So where do I start? Pull a valve cover and look for loose rockers? Or just accept that these engines are noisy. I can borrow a stethescope and poke around. Noise is more from the top end of the engine, not down by the oil pan area.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing you report seems out of the ordinary. These motors make more valve train noise and the plastic intake amplifies it. If you want piece of mind, you could pull the valve covers and make sure the valve springs are intact and that the push rods a straight. Beyond that I would not worry about.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darkman
Nothing you report seems out of the ordinary. These motors make more valve train noise and the plastic intake amplifies it. If you want piece of mind, you could pull the valve covers and make sure the valve springs are intact and that the push rods a straight. Beyond that I would not worry about.
OK, thanks for the reply. I think I will pull the valve covers just to be sure. I remember when I picked up my sons 02 WS6 RamAir, it seemed very noisy. Of course the dealer told me "they all sound like that". Car ran fine for years, drag racing and dyno pulls as well.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Mine sounds just like what your saying.. Im not worried about it
Old 03-31-2013, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there any other way a LS engine sounds
Old 04-01-2013, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

Originally Posted by ls1 1990 VN
Is there any other way a LS engine sounds
What can I say. I was raised thinking that a stock Chevy V-8 (hydraulic lifters) should purr like a kitten, not rattle and growl like a bobcat. Runs great for a bone stock car. Spring is coming, drop the top, crank up the radio.
Old 06-27-2013, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

OK, here is an update. After a quick oil change, I decided that it was still too noisey for me. So as suggested, I pulled the passenger side valve cover. #2 exhaust rocker was much more loose than the intake rocker (at TDC). I removed the rocker and found that the top of the pushrod was worn oval shaped, not round anymore. It also was a bit dry (lack of oil?). Having a brand new LQ4 sitting on an engine stand, I started swapping out rockers and push rods. 4 of the 8 pushrods exhibited the same wear pattern. Top of valves looked OK and only the #2 exhaust rocker bearing was extremely loose. All of the pushrods were clean on the inside. So I guess I will replace the driver side parts tomorrow and see what they look like. Best guess is inadequate oil flow. Oil pressure is very good, a bit over 40 psi at idle ( engine hot). I am thinking that a few quick oil/filter changes are in store for this engine. Carfax showed that this car had oil changes around 7-8k regularly. One owner car. I wonder if they used regular oil instead of synthetic? From what I could see of the engine interior, it is a brown varnish color, no sludge build up. Any suggestions? I am not a fan of those engine flushes, so I think just changing the oil would be the most gentle way to insure a decent cleaning.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update. Finished rocker/pushrod install, both sides. I found that the driver side was fine, no abnormal wear. New gaskets and valve covers installed. Tomorrow I will put on all the "stuff" and fire it up. Hoping for that finely tuned sewing machine sound.
Old 06-30-2013, 05:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Seems to be normal now, just the standard LS-1 ticking in the valve train. Lets hope it lasts.

Quick Reply: engine noise